New computer build

Hey i recently decided to buy myself a gaming computer instead of gaming on my laptop, and i was hoping i could get some help in here.

Budget - Around 1000 dollars/7500 DKK(Danish kroner)
    Resolution - 1080P
    Games / Settings Desired - BF3/4 (Also Ultra-ish), LoL (Ultra), Far Cry 3 (Ultra-ish)
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Nope
    Country - Denmark
    Parts that can be reused - Nothing, never had a desktop PC before.
    Do you need an OS? - No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Yes, but il find that out for myself, its not included in the budget.

I was thinking of going with an AMD FX 8350 since its cheaper than the Intel I5, its not the same performance i know, but in the gaming benchmarks ive been seeing its only about 1-5 FPS drop from the Intel.

I am hoping to OC this build

Here is a build i came up with:

CPU
    AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $198.97

CPU Cooler
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99

Motherboard
    ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $124.98

Memory
    G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $66.99

Storage
    Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99

Video Card
    EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $265.79

Case
    Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99

Power Supply
    Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive
    Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $19.98
    Total: $971.94

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wNrO

Am i missing anything in this build, and is there some modifications i can make to make it more futureproof.
    The 760 GFX card is only there since i can't afford a better one for some months, but il be buying a better one once i get more cash
    Last edited by Petrix; 2013-08-27 at 12:57 PM.

Need to switch to i5-3570k or i5-4670k if you want to play WoW at ultra-ish... AMD is not gonna cut it.

The difference in 25man raids is around 15fps, not 1-5fps.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Need to switch to i5-3570k or i5-4670k if you want to play WoW at ultra-ish... AMD is not gonna cut it.

The difference in 25man raids is around 15fps, not 1-5fps.
    What if i take out the WoW part, will it be able to play the other games on the desired settings?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.24 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $997.13
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-27 09:00 EDT-0400)

Switched to an Intel build, needed to play wow on ultra in raids.
    Changed RAM to a cheaper alternative.
    Changed the HDD to an SSD+HDD configuration. If it exceeds your budget due to prices being different I guess you could ditch the SSD for the moment and get it when you can.
    Changed the 760 to a Gigabyte one. Better cooling system, cheaper.
    Changed the case to a cheaper alternative. Since this is personal preference, feel free to switch back to the previous one.
    Changed the PSU to a better quality one, much cheaper as well.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Petrix View Post
    What if i take out the WoW part, will it be able to play the other games on the desired settings?
    Did you take the WoW part out because you aren't playing WoW, or because you have your mind set on getting the FX-8350 regardless of what anybody says?

With all first person shooters and MOBAs there is indeed 10% difference at best between AMD and Intel in games and it doesn't really matter which one to get. But when you factor in WoW, SWToR, GW2, Rift or any other MMORPGs the difference grows to 30% neighborhood which is no longer trivial and can't be shrugged off.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-27 at 01:16 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

BF3/4 can also be very demanding on your CPU in close quarter multiplayer maps with a high amount of players. CPU performance is definitely important there as well. Seeing as only physics/AI are done on different threads, your IPC will still matter a great deal and Intel is just so much ahead you can't ignore it.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Did you take the WoW part out because you aren't playing WoW, or because you have your mind set on getting the FX-8350 regardless of what anybody says?

With all first person shooters and MOBAs there is indeed 10% difference at best between AMD and Intel in games and it doesn't really matter which one to get. But when you factor in WoW, SWToR, GW2, Rift or any other MMORPGs the difference grows to 30% neighborhood which is no longer trivial and can't be shrugged off.
    I removed WoW from the list since all i do atm in WoW is LFR... I used to be a hardcore player, but lost interrest in the game, therefore it does not have a high priority on my list atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrix View Post
    I removed WoW from the list since all i do atm in WoW is LFR... I used to be a hardcore player, but lost interrest in the game, therefore it does not have a high priority on my list atm.
    Well, my build is better than yours in the OP, for 20$ more. Even if it's not high on your priority list, there's little reason not to buy a more powerful CPU, especially since it'll fill the requirement you asked for of being more futureproof, plus will benefit you in other games as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Well, my build is better than yours in the OP, for 20$ more. Even if it's not high on your priority list, there's little reason not to buy a more powerful CPU, especially since it'll fill the requirement you asked for of being more futureproof, plus will benefit you in other games as well.
    Thanks for the feedback I think thats the build il order then Just need to check prices for the items here in Denmark

Deleted
    You could go with this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Gelid Solutions CC-TranQ-01-A 58.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($36.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.97 @ Outlet PC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.24 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $923.10
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-27 11:11 EDT-0400)

Compared to your build:
    The cpu is clocked lower, but with OCing you negate that.
    The GPU is better
    And you get an SSD.

Compared to Fluorescents build:
    The cpu isnt as good in single tread games, however in games which support multicore it will perform on par most likely. Plus seeing as the main games you play rely more on the gpu, I dont see that as an issue.
    The gpu is better.
    Imo, a better SSD. It might be slower on paper, but I doubt you will notice that. It does have better quality memory chips and power safe capacitors (in case your pc has no power, the SSD will have some power left to keep on writing, so no data loss or corruption of data. Chances of it happening are slim, but who knows).

There is still room in the budget, for either a larger SSD, a 770 (performs a bit better than a 7970 on 1080p), or a better cpu cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Compared to Fluorescents build:
    The cpu isnt as good in single tread games, however in games which support multicore it will perform on par most likely. Plus seeing as the main games you play rely more on the gpu, I dont see that as an issue.
    The gpu is better.
    Imo, a better SSD. It might be slower on paper, but I doubt you will notice that. It does have better quality memory chips and power safe capacitors (in case your pc has no power, the SSD will have some power left to keep on writing, so no data loss or corruption of data. Chances of it happening are slim, but who knows).
    BF4 on multiplayer heavily relies on the CPU. It's not really a multithread supported game (well, noone really is) because it offloads secondary things to different threads but needs (as every games does, because running threads synchronously is a terrible headache) to run primary actions on a single thread anyways.
    BTW every decent SSD has safe caching for cases like that. The only difference is that the writes will be completed when you power up your system again.

Deleted
    BF4 on multiplayer heavily relies on the CPU. It's not really a multithread supported game (well, noone really is) because it offloads secondary things to different threads but needs (as every games does, because running threads synchronously is a terrible headache) to run primary actions on a single thread anyways.
    BTW every decent SSD has safe caching for cases like that. The only difference is that the writes will be completed when you power up your system again.
    I know its from the alpha, but it gives an idea. I did wish they used IB and Haswell CPU's as well.

And from my understanding the EVO doesnt have the capacitors, which could lead to corruption of data on the SSD. Not saying the EVO is a bad buy, far from it. But Id rather go with the crucial.

I know its from the alpha, but it gives an idea. I did wish they used IB and Haswell CPU's as well.

And from my understanding the EVO doesnt have the capacitors, which could lead to corruption of data on the SSD. Not saying the EVO is a bad buy, far from it. But Id rather go with the crucial.
    So you're basically showing me that a stock sandy bridge (which has 20% less performance than haswell at the same clocks, and can be overclocked to squeeze out a further 20-30% performance) has the same performance of an (albeit slightly) overclocked 8320 (because that's what an 8350 is after all)? And keep in mind we don't know where they're testing that, BF gets really CPU intensive on close quarter maps with a high number of players.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-08-27 at 03:46 PM.

Deleted
    So you're basically showing me that a stock sandy bridge (which has 20% less performance than haswell at the same clocks, and can be overclocked to squeeze out a further 20-30% performance) has the same performance of an (albeit slightly) overclocked 8320 (because that's what an 8350 is after all)? And keep in mind we don't know where they're testing that, BF gets really CPU intensive on close quarter maps with a high number of players.
    What Im showing is that a 8320 has the same performance of an 2600k for a lot less money. Sure, a 4670k will most likely perform a bit better but Im just not sure if it will be that much better. The money you safe with getting the 8320 can be put in a better GPU, which will net you a bigger performance gain than a 4670k.

That is basicly what im getting at, a 4670k + 760 or a 8320 + 7970 (and possible even a 770).

What Im showing is that a 8320 has the same performance of an 2600k for a lot less money. Sure, a 4670k will most likely perform a bit better but Im just not sure if it will be that much better. The money you safe with getting the 8320 can be put in a better GPU, which will net you a bigger performance gain than a 4670k.

That is basicly what im getting at, a 4670k + 760 or a 8320 + 7970 (and possible even a 770).
    Yeah, of course a late 2012 CPU is cheaper than a 2009 CPU while providing the same performance. What matters however is current tech, since getting a 2500k setup will basically cost you as much as getting a 4670k one, and that's fairly superior in performance (20% at stock clocks, more if you start overclocking, that's common knowledge and if you're not sure about that you shouldn't be giving advice in the first place).
    Going for a 7970 instead of a 760 is a sensible upgrade but I'd rather get an SSD later instead of skimping on performance parts.

Do yourself a favour and get an Intel CPU. Its by far the most important component in any computer these days. Most games are based largely off processor power, not graphics (Although I wouldn't use a Radeon card, either).

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother with an AMD CPU at that budget and for those needs, seriously ignore 'benchmarks' that show a 1-5FPS difference. You're better off in general with Intel for gaming. I'd go with Fluorescent's build