Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    How long will it take you to walk that far during the winter in siberia?
    Depending on where you are, anything from a few hours to several days. Siberia is an extremely diverse area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    Maybe purely living off the land wasn't such a good idea after all. But I'd still like to live there in a rural area for a while.
    You're better off going to Canada up in Nunavut, Northwest Territories or Yukon. Find a small village and you'll experience similar temperatures, not have to travel so far and have essentially everything Siberia has to offer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasireea View Post
    Depending on where you are, anything from a few hours to several days. Siberia is an extremely diverse area.
    Yup, and you can freeze to death in less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    You're better off going to Canada up in Nunavut, Northwest Territories or Yukon. Find a small village and you'll experience similar temperatures, not have to travel so far and have essentially everything Siberia has to offer.
    I've also considered this.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Where do you live now? If you're not a Russian you'll more than likely just get arrested as some kind of spy because your story will be hard for them to believe.

You could try doing the same sort of thing in a friendlier country. For example, you could try to live that way in the Canadian north, which is very similar to Siberia. Or perhaps the mroe remote parts of the Scandanavian countries.
    Yaaaaah Nak, Just come up to B.C., we can go skiing and boarding, drink beers and watch the dancing girls, no one will arrest you for spying here in Canada...Maybe RICH can fly over and we can have a party. It's not the same as surviving Siberia, but partying in western Canada can be ....sort of...like....surviving in...Si...lol no.
    RICH, you like beer and snow together right?
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Live off the land in Southern Siberia. Conditions are very much comparable to Michigan.

Then, gradually move North until you die.

Wellllll I DID see a movie about a Polish prisoner escaping a Siberian prison camp with some guys, based on a true story recently. They escaped by heading south through the desert, and all the way to Tibet ON FOOT!!!!!!!
    It was based on a book, which was a fake story of a prisoner escaping from a gulag. The actual prisoner was released from the prison by the USSR authorities, and the rest of his claims (about travelling anywhere on foot) are also highly suspect.

In other words the whole story is a work of fiction.
    Last edited by Ashnazg; 2013-10-07 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Yaaaaah Nak, Just come up to B.C., we can go skiing and boarding, drink beers and watch the dancing girls, no one will arrest you for spying here in Canada...Maybe RICH can fly over and we can have a party. It's not the same as surviving Siberia, but partying in western Canada can be ....sort of...like....surviving in...Si...lol no.
    RICH, you like beer and snow together right?
    Yes I love both beer and snow, my winter survival training in Norway was one of the best things I have ever experienced, jumping into a hole in the ice into cold water then getting out and rolling in the snow was embracing.

Yup, and you can freeze to death in less than an hour.
    Depends on the equipment. I can manage 3 hours working with -40 outside no problem, as much as most people who was born here. You should be prepared however, modern equipment is good enough, except for footwear (good durable extreme cold-withstanding boots are very hard to come by, are expensive too) but if you dont mind valenki it's completely fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Op reminds me of a kid i knew a few years ago. It was when I was managing a Gamestop, he worked for us so he could get the employee discount.

This kid had played EVERY game ever. I don't mean just played, I mean like deeply researched how to earn every possible little easter egg in every game ever.

Then one day he announces he has to quit because hes joining the marine corp......

We're like...lolwut?

The kid is just graduating from high school, hes about 100 pounds over weight, the only life experience he has is on the end of a video game controller and he figures he knows all he needs to know to be an effective marine.

He figures CoD and battlefield, mixed with a healthy dose of military recruitment propaganda has given him a clear idea of what lies ahead in his career as an official badass.

Well, after his first meeting with the recruiter he was very disappointed to say the least, apparently they tried to convince him to pick a more....appropriate wing of the forces to join. But he wasn't having it, so the last I heard before I left the company was that he was just waiting on his orders to start basic.

I'm sorry OP, no matter how much time you spent playing Deerhunter you are NOT ready to move to Siberia. I mean for fucks sakes you live in one of the most climatically diverse nations on the planet, why would you need to leave the US anyway? Just move to Alaska, I have a buddy who did that, he joined the Air Force and requested base in Alaska. He lived up there for the duration of his service and then came back to real world when he was done. Get some ACTUAL experience with cold weather survival then when you are done with your military fun, decide if you want to move back home or stay up there and go full on Grizzly Adams. There are plenty of towns in northern Alaska that are entirely cut off from the outside world, pick one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Live off the land in Southern Siberia. Conditions are very much comparable to Michigan.

Then, gradually move North until you die.
    You wont see much difference until there are forests around (taiga). Up north (tundra) and up south (steppes of Kazakhstan and Mongolia) it's a completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You wont see much difference until there are forests around (taiga). Up north (tundra) and up south (steppes of Kazakhstan and Mongolia) it's a completely different story.
    Yeah, I lived close to the Mongolian steppe for a decade and a half. I dare say winters were warmer than they were in Michigan (where I lived for 3 years, in Ann Arbor) because even though the temperature was much lower, the dry, crisp air made it very bearable - to a point where you could walk out into a -13 (Fahrenheit) without a hat and not even feel cold. Summers were ~86-105 degrees and also a lot less oppressive because of a lack of moisture in the air.

Never stepped foot north of the trans-siberian though, so no idea how much further up north until it gets bad

funny, I just recently saw a documentary on fur trappers in Siberia with people doing exactly what OP wants to do.. it's was pretty interesting

Happy People:A Year in the Taiga

check it out, might change your mind

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not Tibet?
    Tibet is harsh on it's own but maybe not as harsh as Siberia...
    And even though it's reached new heights, I rather like the restless nights. It makes me wonder, makes me think there's more to this, I'm on the brink. It's not the fear of what's beyond, it's just that I might not respond! I have an interest, almost craving, would I like to get to far in?!

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be so fun to see OP getting his firearms training, arriving to Siberia (which is more diverse than being only a snow desert, btw) and discovering that he's not allowed to own that super cool rifles he trained with. Even more, he needs a license to own just a basic hunting shotgun. And chances that he'll get a license are close to zero, because he's not a citizen and there is no real reason to give citizenship to him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuax View Post
    It would be so fun to see OP getting his firearms training, arriving to Siberia (which is more diverse than being only a snow desert, btw) and discovering that he's not allowed to own that super cool rifles he trained with. Even more, he needs a license to own just a basic hunting shotgun. And chances that he'll get a license are close to zero, because he's not a citizen and there is no real reason to give citizenship to him.
    Or they think he is an American spy and his visit to Siberia becomes more permanent than he planned.

How long will it take you to walk that far during the winter in siberia?
    But why wouldnt he have a snowmobile there for emergencies?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    But why wouldnt he have a snowmobile there for emergencies?
    Mechanical things break down.

Mechanical things break down.
    Quite an assumption to make

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they think he is an American spy and his visit to Siberia becomes more permanent than he planned.
    As I remember from discovered special spots on Google Maps, there were no hidden territories in that part, so his visit might become permanent just because he was trying to find what is located elsewhere (most hidden territories are more to the east, which isn't really Siberia anymore).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I want you to live there too!