Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It was released after naxx and before toc, release tot between naxx and toc and it'd be regarded as the best raid ever too.

And it had a fucking train inside the raid
    Last edited by Senftw; 2013-10-19 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvrenGaming View Post
    Because it was the only time i remember me healing on my Paladin and enjoying it. http://www.wowwiki.com/Libram_of_Renewal, you will be missed
    Oh god the nostalgia just hit me so very hard.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Nostalgia = popular phrase that forum goers use to dismiss opinions differ from their own, but they have no actual basis for doing so.

Subjectively break down for us why Ulduar sucked. We'll wait.
    Opinions are why Ulduar sucked, no need to break it down any further.

Nostalgia is a perfectly valid answer.

Example: "All my friends still played while I was raiding Ulduar, so it felt like the best raid instance ever!"

One point I didn't see anyone touch on was that the instance was anchored in the story line while you were leveling. Sure you got a couple of nobody bosses but the the guardians tied into the story all the way to yogg. You don't really see that done now. Seems like after wrath Blizzard just gave up and hoped to sell the guy on the box and whatever else they mentioned at blizzcon. I hope they change that in the future. Inb4 the nostalgia trolls respond to my post like the ones above me.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2013-10-19 at 01:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't have to toggle heroic mode. HMs for Ulduar changed how the encounter worked. It wasn't the boss just having a percent increase in health and maybe spike damage added. It was a bit simpler for raid locks too. 10 or 25 man. That's it.

The music, the lore, and the overall story for it was pretty badass. Algalon and Yogg 0 were very difficult. Tuned extremely but not to the point of being buggy like C'thun. And I'll admit, after the content it was released after it was very nice to see something so refreshing.

Yogg remains my favorite fight because of how well the players can control how 'difficult' the fight would be. It's an amazing amount of organized chaos going around in that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Ulduar was loved during it's time, not just afterward. It's still the only raid I remember people clamoring about while it was still relevant, other than Karazhan.

Beautiful, great layout, fun bosses, little trash, exciting and cool lore, and Yogg is easily one of the coolest end bosses ever

Instead of toggling heroic mode on you had to:
    #1 pray noone griefed you or some tard talked to keepers.
    #2 Kill a boss faster! SO HEROIC!
    #3 Choose NOT to afk on Thorim
    #4 Hit a red button.
    #5 Not AFK on XT
    #6 AFK on Vezak

Oh yes those inventive hardmode triggers. Thank god the quickly swapped to a proper system quickly thereafter.If it wasn't for that we would still have 5+ Filler bosses that only have normal mode included.

As for why it's remembered as "best raid ever" Likely Because it was sandwhiched between ToC and Naxx remake and Ulduar was only current FOR FOUR MONTHS. Outside Mimiorn and Yogg Ulduar was really nothing to write home about.

You wanna talk about a 100% quality raid tier? That would be Tier 11 of Cata, As opposed to 1-2 difficult fights T11 was punishment the entire way through. It was glorious.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-19 at 02:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it was a breath of fresh air in a expansion of snow, undead, and mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    One point I didn't see anyone touch on was that the instance was anchored in the story line while you were leveling. Sure you got a couple of nobody bosses but the the guardians tied into the story all the way to yogg. You don't really see that done now. Seems like after wrath Blizzard just gave up and hoped to sell the guy on the box and whatever else they mentioned at blizzcon. I hope they change that in the future. Inb4 the nostalgia trolls respond to my post like the ones above me.
    T11

Al'akir, Sinestra, Cho'gall, Nefarian, You also experience Neptulon, Ragnaros, Deathwing while leveling. And to an extrend more introduction to Azshara's naga and her deeper motives in the story. N'zoth played a puppeter role

MoP is fresh lore but the troll council in ToT was a huge lore throwback especially the frost troll king Malakk making an appearance finally.

The entire zone of Org is faction leaders and named orcs horde players have interacted with in the city for years. Most of them are dying. Likely see a NPC gut and refurbish in the post org 5.5 prepatch.

Nevermind the paragons encounter which while being fresh lore should have MORE then enough lore buildup.

I guess you are wrong.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-10-19 at 02:20 AM.

Honestly I can say that while Ulduar is up there with ToC (yes, really) as my favorite multi-boss raid, my overall favorite raids have been the single boss encounters especially EoE.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Ulduar was the first raid where achievements were cool (Death's Demise, Alone in the Darkness, Herald of the Titans, etc.) (My opinion; Naxx, Maly, and Sarth were not as cool to me). It was also the first raid that had a hard mode only encounter (Algalon), and each boss was a pop culture reference to a bad ass character from a comic book and/or novel.
    Last edited by Phasma; 2013-10-19 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    Because it was a breath of fresh air in a expansion of snow, undead, and mediocrity.
    How did you know what my HLK guild name was.... are you a wizard?!

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    The developers usually say when they rushed something out due to an issue and yet the early release of ToC has been called more of a mistake. Among players there was more talks about ToC being out too long.
    We don't know what that issue was. One possibility was the bad state of PvP (it was really horrific in early Wrath, when they foolishly put ratings requirements on just about everything), and maybe they thought IoC would help. Or perhaps they were concerned about the NA release of Aion.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla had AQ, BC had kara and Wrath had Ulduar. Big, sprawling over the top raids. We haven't really seen that since.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EvrenGaming View Post
    Because it was the only time i remember me healing on my Paladin and enjoying it. http://www.wowwiki.com/Libram_of_Renewal, you will be missed
    Back when healing was just a mindless spam because mana never mattered? (we basically had the same as a dps rotation) Indeed it was fun, but far too easy and I am glad they fixed it in Cata.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Ulduar was the first raid where achievements were cool
    Actually Naxx and the 5 mans did (at a far fetch late TBC did). Just because you went back in a group to do the Ulduar achievements in ICC gear didn't make them cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    You should pay more attention to the quests then. It's funny that you call them nostalgia trolls. Plus to show how much of an idiot you are, to this date, they have only sold one guy on the box since wotlk, and we all pretty much agree that they ruined a great character like Deathwing.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-10-19 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    T11

Al'akir, Sinestra, Cho'gall, Nefarian, You also experience Neptulon, Ragnaros, Deathwing while leveling. And to an extrend more introduction to Azshara's naga and her deeper motives in the story. N'zoth played a puppeter role

MoP is fresh lore but the troll council in ToT was a huge lore throwback especially the frost troll king Malakk making an appearance finally.

The entire zone of Org is faction leaders and named orcs horde players have interacted with in the city for years. Most of them are dying. Likely see a NPC gut and refurbish in the post org 5.5 prepatch.

Nevermind the paragons encounter which while being fresh lore should have MORE then enough lore buildup.

I guess you are wrong.
    The Paragons had an entire zone dedicated to them, what more could one ask for in lore on a boss encounter?

Also, Overlord Runthak.....now who am I gonna turn my Onyxia head in to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't argue with wrath babies and their first view of the game I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    The Paragons had an entire zone dedicated to them(
    and they told you, that they would fuck you over if their old god came back. Which Sir Garrosh kinda did...

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Can't argue with wrath babies and their first view of the game I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

and they told you, that they would fuck you over if their old god came back. Which Sir Garrosh kinda did...
    Yerp

Just started them on H 25s too. Time to send out my old homies. Kinda glad one of them died in the finale quest to hell with having 10 paragons to fight XD.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    T11

I guess you are wrong.
    Wow, you thoroughly owned that guy. that was quite funny.

I'm pretty sure SoO has more "lore" raid bosses then any raid before it.