Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Long slow cardio is a waste of time for good and fast weight loss. Weight training + HIIT is much much faster.
    I have no idea why people feel the need to pick between the two. Unless you're trying to get ready for some very specific event or carrying huge amounts of extra fat, speed of weight loss doesn't really matter much, the important thing is picking a regimen you actually enjoy and will stick with. The idea that burning 500+ calories per day is a "waste of time" for weight loss is really silly. Put another way, how many fat people do you see in triathlons?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Running is harder on your knees, when you run all your weight hits one knee.
    This is just not uniformly true. The two activities place different types of strain on the knee and different people have different weak points in their knees. I can run 40 or 50 miles in a week and come away with zero knee pain. Riding difficult hills on a bike consistently leaves me with some joint pain. I'm far from an outlier in this regard.
    Last edited by Spectral; 2013-10-16 at 02:20 PM.

everyone knows that ellipticals are supposed to put less impact on your knees.. but for me, it puts too much strain on my plantar fascia (bottom of my foot).. i developed plantar fasciitis because of it.. so, i try to avoid running on treadmills/ellipticals/stair climbers.. i'll still walk on treadmills, hit the bike or use a rowing machine when i need some cardio/fat burning

obviously, it's different for everyone.. choose the one you have the most fun on.. if that's even possible

10+ Year Old Account
    Asking what indoor machine to buy for weight loss comes across like you can't be arsed to get a real bike and exercise outside and therefore it's doomed to failure. You want to do it the 'easy' way which doesn't really exist. Why not get a bike and cycle to work and indeed everywhere?

Exercise is really a lifestyle and it helps to know what you're doing instead of being told "this is good for you". You can be told stuff to get ideas but in the end you have to know it.

Eating less, but more often. It works for me
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Instead of spending 500+ on some kind of machine, buy a bike/rollerblades. Then alternate going outside and running/biking/rollerblading a few times a week.

I think people underestimate how much more you want to go work out when you do it outside compared to staying in the house or going to a gym. There's a certain satisfaction/motivation to getting outside in the sun everyday.

A gym just opened up in my area and I walk by it every day when heading to work. Every time I see someone jogging there on a treadmill, or using an elliptical at 8:30 AM, I chuckle to myself. Why not do it outside? Especially if there's even a small track field with padded ground or w/e it's called literally 4-5 blocks away. That's probably not the case for you, AdrianCC100, just wanted to share.

As for you, it seems like you're approaching it as a chore - assigning it a set amount of time in a set place and getting it over with. It could actually be fun, if you wanted it to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    A gym just opened up in my area and I walk by it every day when heading to work. Every time I see someone jogging there on a treadmill, or using an elliptical at 8:30 AM, I chuckle to myself. Why not do it outside? Especially if there's even a small track field with padded ground or w/e it's called literally 4-5 blocks away.
    Ok, it's seems you might never actually have been to a gym. Most people use those cardio machines for a short time before and or after strenght training. Unless your track field has a full set of dumbells/barbells/kettlebells and expensive bodybuilding machines for free use, I don't understand your reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    Instead of spending 500+ on some kind of machine, buy a bike/rollerblades. Then alternate going outside and running/biking/rollerblading a few times a week.
    I'm a big advocate of cycling, but you're not getting even a halfway decent bike for under $500 either. Something like this is about as cheap as you can go without riding crap.

Neither, get a rowing machine instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm a big advocate of cycling, but you're not getting even a halfway decent bike for under $500 either. Something like this is about as cheap as you can go without riding crap.
    You don't need a decent bike to start with, go to walmart get a $200 bike, even just averaging 10 miles a day over the course of a month will be a lot of exercise for most people, and if they ride the walmart bike to death then go invest in a decent bike. However fact of the matter is most people that start exercising will not last long enough to work their way through a crappy walmart bike.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    You don't need a decent bike to start with, go to walmart get a $200 bike, even just averaging 10 miles a day over the course of a month will be a lot of exercise for most people, and if they ride the walmart bike to death then go invest in a decent bike. However fact of the matter is most people that start exercising will not last long enough to work their way through a crappy walmart bike.
    I'd say that part of the reason people won't last long enough to work past that crappy Walmart bike is because the sport is a lot less fun on a crappy Walmart bike. There's also the matter of people tending to invest more effort into things they've invested money in - spending $1K can make someone feel obligated to ride, which is a good thing.

burn more calories on a cross trainer and easier compared to a bike

I suggest getting one of them home workout programs like Insanity or Les Mills Combat. 30-60min a day will do wonders as long as you eat well too. They are extreme cardio workouts and they definitely work!

Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post
    burn more calories on a cross trainer and easier compared to a bike
    There's joy in cycling that comes from a place other than just raw calories burnt per hour. Personally, I'm not a big fan of a the various human-versions of hamster wheels we've invented - I like being outside, moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalus View Post
    I suggest getting one of them home workout programs like Insanity or Les Mills Combat. 30-60min a day will do wonders as long as you eat well too. They are extreme cardio workouts and they definitely work!
    This! Cardio machines are a waste of money. Spend that money on a set of weights instead. I think cardio is important but it shouldn't be your only exercise. My favorite cardio is kettlebells. It's like killing two birds with one stone. They might not be as trendy now but I think they can give an awesome workout. Blender Fitness on youtube has a bunch of really good HIIT and cardio workouts for free as well. Using one machine everyday would get boring fast. I'd rather spend $15 on DVDs and be able to rotate them when I get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Aalyy View Post
    This! Cardio machines are a waste of money. Spend that money on a set of weights instead. I think cardio is important but it shouldn't be your only exercise. My favorite cardio is kettlebells. It's like killing two birds with one stone. They might not be as trendy now but I think they can give an awesome workout. Blender Fitness on youtube has a bunch of really good HIIT and cardio workouts for free as well. Using one machine everyday would get boring fast. I'd rather spend $15 on DVDs and be able to rotate them when I get bored.
    This. Though I dont really agree with many of those cardio programs like p90 or insanity, but thats just me. One that I do recommend for cardio and weight loss would be the spartacus app.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's joy in cycling that comes from a place other than just raw calories burnt per hour. Personally, I'm not a big fan of a the various human-versions of hamster wheels we've invented - I like being outside, moving around.
    yeah true that, on that note.. its best to find some physical activity/sport that you enjoy doing, that way you will be burning calories without even thinking about it, so actually enjoying yourself

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you a dude? if so lift weights and take a walk on your off days. The fastest way for you to loose weight would be to circuit train. Fat will melt right off you.

Some cardio behavior involves more muscle then others and thus burn extra calories.