Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Proc based melee class

I love melee and classes that are based on priority systems are my absolute best. The mad feeling of watching skills as they come off cooldown and then making sure that you nail the correct proc as it happens. Another thing I love about it is the zen mode you can get into where you simply know what to press and simply get in tune with the character. While paladins do have that sort of vibe they tend to boil down mainly to crusader strike so you can get points to keep the whole thing going, same thing with rogues since I last looked since it goes get combo points and use execute. Hell they are more boiled down than paladins are since they at least have different skills can give them holy power.

I read that shamans are close on that and I recall having frost feel like that, which was amazing, so I was wondering... What classes and specs would you say suite this play style?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Enh shaman and fury warr

Play a frost DK.

2h is easier than DW since there's less rune juggling.

Did Killing Machine proc? Hit Obliterate.
    Did Rime proc? Howling Blast.
    What if KM procs, but I have no runes? Frost Strike that mofo.

That's pretty much it. Glyph Outbreak to Runic Power (since 2h has an abundance) and never use plague strike again.

GG.

The only time you have to juggle stuff is when you want to combo DnD with Pillar of Frost. Since Obliterate takes two runes, you have to use those two abilities together... if you go 2h, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    Play a frost DK.

That's pretty much it. Glyph Outbreak to Runic Power (since 2h has an abundance) and never use plague strike again.

GG.

The only time you have to juggle stuff is when you want to combo DnD with Pillar of Frost. Since Obliterate takes two runes, you have to use those two abilities together... if you go 2h, IMO.
    Hmmm... Is dual wield similar or is it a bit more of an annoyance now? I found that during cata the rune regeneration was in such a sweet point that I found I had a great time having something to use.

As an aside what is enhancement like to play? Is it like playing whack a mole?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This describes just about every class...buuut...I concur with Frost DK. If you spec right, with blood tap, then there's synergy and procs coming out the wazoo.
    BAD WOLF

Play a frost DK.

GG.

No idea what you're talking about with rune juggling. DW is HB whenever you have a death/frost rune and aren't rp capped. Dump RP when close to cap or don't have an HB to use. Literally the easiest shit ever. You're seriously hitting the same few buttons 90 percent of the time.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Deleted
    Frost Death knight and hit the glowing spells.
    Even though this spec is just boring as fuck.

fury warrior. maybe fire mage idk.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Play a frost DK.

GG.

Windwalker Monk is this way too.

Blackout Kick proc from passive? Hit it. Tiger Palm proc from same passive? Hit it. Rising Sun Kick come off CD? Hit it. Etc.

WW monks, Fury Wars and Enh Shammys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much every melee with the exception of combat (possibly sub as well, I don't know much about sub), and UH DKs fall under proc based.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Pretty much every melee with the exception of combat (possibly sub as well, I don't know much about sub), and UH DKs fall under proc based.
    I wouldn't call ret or mutilate proc-based at all (the two melee classes I play most). Sure they each have a proc, but one proc does not a proc based spec make. That doesn't include any talents or tier set bonuses, obviously though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    Windwalker Monk is this way too.

Blackout Kick proc from passive? Hit it. Tiger Palm proc from same passive? Hit it. Rising Sun Kick come off CD? Hit it. Etc.
    If you're playing it with the intention of doing your best, then TP shouldn't be hit on proc unless you're out of energy or the buff from it is about to fall off. TP does so little damage ignoring a proc (even with the 2pc) is a bigger gain than hitting it and delaying a Blackout Kick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windwalker Monk is fairly proc based.

Frost DK and Fury Warrior.

Frost DK is somewhat less intuitive and a bit harder. Fury feels a bit faster, more fluid and it totally has the zen thing you mentioned, where you reach a point you just don't pay attention to your procs or timers, you just know what is happening and when before it happens, you even notice enchant procs, trinket procs, without any timers. With Frost DK I just can't find that Zen thing, there is always this or that proc I need to pay attention too.

Enhance Shaman comes immediately to mind, between CDs and procs it has a fair bit to manage relatively, but is a lot of fun to play. Most other melee classes have at least some proc based stuff in there. Frost DKs are probably the easiest to play, personally I don't find them that fun though, enhancement feels a lot more like 'hell yeah I'm kicking ass' thank most other specs to me, but then my shaman is my main so that could be gear as much as anything. A WW monk might suit you if you're used to/like the whole building resources mechanic.

Okay, seriously confused what's with all the "Windwalker is proc based" comments? Compared to any other proc class they really aren't. They literally don't have a single proc that (without a set bonus) increases damage or skips a cooldown. All they have is a "a or b" proc that makes using two skills not cost anything and they're spammable. It would be like calling Arms Warrior a proc based spec if the only proc it had was Overpower being free for one usage every fifteen seconds or so.

Fury warrior are not proc based at all. They're solely based around colossus smash with one proc in there for reals which is the wild strike or whatever it's called. Essentially fury just builds up their rage for when smash comes off cd with 1 proc of raging blow. If I'm not mistaken then you want to bloodthirst, Csmash, raging, raging, thirst, raging all while spamming heroic strike which is off the GCD and then you pool rage again.

Frost dual wield uses Howling Blast and Frost Strike as its main source of damage. Obliterate is the lowest of the low on priority with I think even DnD coming higher than it. Basically you want to use every death and frost rune for howling blasts, keep RP at or above 20 for KM procs (which you use on Frost Strike when it occurs) don't use a single rune atk above 88 RP and don't use a double rune atk above 76 RP. Rime procs off your very few obliterates and when it does just use it. It's mainly a game of not capping runes and runic power more so than really watching procs.

Enhance is whack a mole basically. Hit whats up.

Arms is very very boring and isn't reliant on fun procs. When you MS you always get two procs of free overpower and at high enough gear levels you practically cant NOT get a colossus smash proc. It isn't on the level of frost where you're waiting for the right procs to game.

Sub is based around your perfection of shadow dance and extending your ambush debuff on the target for as long as possible.

Combat is based around waiting on CDs and your stacking buff that gives you I think 30% damage increase at its max.

Assass is definitely not proc based at all.

If you want something similar to frost mage you probably want an enhance shaman as they're both pretty much hit what is available. In frost's case this happens to be procs when they occur instead of CD based abilities. Fire mage would be comparable to fury warrior. Arcane possibly similar to frost dk but that's a stretch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    (about frost dks) personally I don't find them that fun though, enhancement feels a lot more like 'hell yeah I'm kicking ass' thank most other specs to me.
    Interestingly enough, I play a frost dk and I find the opposite to be true. Enhancement feels REALLY boring to me just hitting whatever is off CD. I much rather focus on balancing resources and not capping them than I enjoy pressing buttons when they come off cd.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Frost DK and Fury Warrior.

Frost DK is somewhat less intuitive and a bit harder. Fury feels a bit faster, more fluid and it totally has the zen thing you mentioned, where you reach a point you just don't pay attention to your procs or timers, you just know what is happening and when before it happens, you even notice enchant procs, trinket procs, without any timers. With Frost DK I just can't find that Zen thing, there is always this or that proc I need to pay attention too.

Again this is really weird to me because I find the opposite to be true. Frost is waaaaaaaay easier than fury. Fury is all about lining stuff up for the right moment which can get zen mode-ie but I can't ever find myself relaxing and not thinking. Frost dks for me I never have to think about at all to make them work but then I've been playing one since Wrath. Their playstyle is significantly different than what I have done in the past two expansions however so... -shrug-

10+ Year Old Account
    Enh sham and fury warrior are really the only proc based classes I can think of.

And they both have only 1 or 2 procs to watch out for.

I wouldn't call frost DK a proc class. Killing Machine is the only proc and it just gives you crit, not access to an ability.

Enh sham has a lot of down time but can be fast, while Fury warrior has no down time but can be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Interestingly enough, I play a frost dk and I find the opposite to be true. Enhancement feels REALLY boring to me just hitting whatever is off CD. I much rather focus on balancing resources and not capping them than I enjoy pressing buttons when they come off cd.
    On thinking it over I think it's that Frost feels slow to me, whereas enhance is such a busy spec comparatively (although I'll also add in as a qualifier that I've played 2H frost all xpac due to never having had 1h weapons drop). As enhance you're basically always doing something, and often juggling a bunch of stuff you should be doing. Even my toon visually is this huge flurry of spells and strikes and lightning and whirlwinds, it has this berserking feeling to it that I love.