Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Changing the epoch would cost billions of dollars and would take years. Every piece of software that uses time (read: every piece of software) would have a breaking change. If Y2K was a big deal, this would be gigantic.

10+ Year Old Account
    i actually have a stardate calculator on my desktop that i use for filenames...
    the current stardate is 91625.18

also, remember all the trouble and chaos from Y2K?

imagine the trouble and hassle changing date formats again would cause...

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    BCE and ACE/CE is commonly accepted as well, and is religion neutral.

(Before Common Era and Common Era/After Common Era)

There's no reason to change the time we measure from, regardless of why it was chosen originally.
    The most widely used it BC (Before Christ) and AD (Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as - In the year of the Lord).

Myself I have never heard of BCE and ACE seems to be a later description of the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Era

Though as wiki says seems to be used in scientific circles and in cases where the situation calls for a non-religious term. Interesting.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

10+ Year Old Account
    So, because I've said people can believe whatever they want, but I happen to believe its all fairy tales, thats my belief, the mods here decided thats worth an infraction, despite the fact this thread is based around religion?

I have to ask, is the scrapebot really an automated system here or is it just a mod whos hanging around. I said nothing offensive to anyone, just my belief, since this is talking about religion and faith. I agree with the op on why the hell do we follow an antiquated system made up thousends of years ago, in a time where people don't even believe in the structure of where that system came from, the religion that started it.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    So, because I've said people can believe whatever they want, but I happen to believe its all fairy tales, thats my belief, the mods here decided thats worth an infraction, despite the fact this thread is based around religion?

I have to ask, is the scrapebot really an automated system here or is it just a mod whos hanging around. I said nothing offensive to anyone, just my belief, since this is talking about religion and faith. I agree with the op on why the hell do we follow an antiquated system made up thousends of years ago, in a time where people don't even believe in the structure of where that system came from, the religion that started it.
    The topic is about whether we should continue to use a system based on a religion for deciding the date, not about the religion itself, which your post was talking about.

If i had to guess you got infracted because you came into a thread discussing how we record time and stated you think religions are fairy tales. This thread is NOT about religion...it's about record keeping.

Also if the system is antiquated would you mind proposing a new system that would in any way be better...in a way other than not pissing you off because of *gasp* a religious origin?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt thats the reason it got infracted. Fair enough it was out of context to the thread itself, but seems ironic the mods say talking about religion is a no no, when the thread itself is based around where the calender we know started, that being of christian time keeping. Its just a matter of fact, the Gregorian calendar is what people of the western world know as best, so it will always come down to a religious connotation
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt thats the reason it got infracted. Fair enough it was out of context to the thread itself, but seems ironic the mods say talking about religion is a no no, when the thread itself is based around where the calender we know started, that being of christian time keeping. Its just a matter of fact, the Gregorian calendar is what people of the western world know as best, so it will always come down to a religious connotation
    Re-read your original post, it had nothing to do with the calendar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I asked this like a week ago :P answers i got were that no point changing as we've had it for 2k year now and what would we change it to, what other more accurate measurement would we replace it with also different cultures have different calenders not everyone follows our 2014 one.

I love your new profile picture :P

There is a fundamental difference between talking about something that is in essence completely NON religious other than the origin of it's naming conventions and actually stating you think religion is a fairy tale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    There is a fundamental difference between talking about something that is in essence completely NON religious other than the origin of it's naming conventions and actually stating you think religion is a fairy tale.
    seemed relevant, stating my view on christian belief in context to how I felt about the system of telling time from the Gregorian calender, basically saying if I were given the choice to follow another way of telling time away from that in the western culture i live in, I would take it.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    seemed relevant, stating my view on christian belief in context to how I felt about the system of telling time from the Gregorian calender, basically saying if I were given the choice to follow another way of telling time away from that in the western culture i live in, I would take it.
    You didn't make any mention of wanting to use an alternate system, or in fact any mention at all of the calendar.

Let me ask you this...Can you state one single way time keeping would be improved by changing the calendar to a format that isn't based on this event (the birth of Christ)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    All ears for your alternative method.
    Ok, this year is now 89 Ante Diaspora.

Now, we need to get cracking on developing our space tech to ensure the Diaspora starts on time.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me ask you this...Can you state one single way time keeping would be improved by changing the calendar to a format that isn't based on this event (the birth of Christ)?
    Setting a closer epoch would allow us to use fewer digits for the year for awhile.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Ok, this year is now 89 Ante Diaspora.

Now, we need to get cracking on developing our space tech to ensure the Diaspora starts on time.

- - - Updated - - -

Setting a closer epoch would allow us to use fewer digits for the year for awhile.
    OK, I can get behind this...

EDIT to add in after your edit...

We use four. Just four...and really 9 times out of ten we only use 2 of those four. lol how much more reduced can it get without resetting the calender every 10 years?

Tradition and it works sufficiently well, so there is little reason to change it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I said if there were a way, then yes.
    #boycottchina

I said if there were a way, then yes.
    Right...I'm not asking about there being a way to do it...I mean I'm sure we could if we REALLY wanted to, but my question is why would we really want to? What would be the gain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right...I'm not asking about there being a way to do it...I mean I'm sure we could if we REALLY wanted to, but my question is why would we really want to? What would be the gain?
    well in my view breaking away from a norm fueled by something I wish to have nothing to do with.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    All answers can be found here with applicable cross references mentioned there too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini

And why? Because 1500 yrs of pragmatic use to bring everyone on the same page doesn't need revision, nor change.
    We have long stopped using the calendar count as a symbol of religion.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."