Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    Seriously; what the fuck do they do with their time?
    I think it's something like this:

There are several teams. One or two are the bottleneck, they know it and they work their asses off or try to. The remaining teams know they aren't the bottleneck and somewhat relaxedly work on what they have. They are spending significantly more time on things than they normally would, pretending to care a lot about the quality, of course (which in the end will be the same it would have been normally). They can do this, because, again, they aren't the bottleneck, their taking more time is not going to delay anything significant. The community team scavenges for bits and pieces that they can show to the players to try and keep them interested. From time to time, one of the bottlenecked teams say "guys, we can't do this, we need more time" and the planned date for a release or for a beta slips once again.

Mismanagement. That's it.

Blizzard had more content out faster than ever before in WOW's history with MOP until the last patch.

I have a feeling part of this massive down time is going to be setting in place a kind of new modular infrastructure that will make future expansions much more friendly on developers, and enable them to keep both the accelerated content patches of MOP, and a faster development time on future expansions. This lull is the sacrifice for that.
    Just a theory, but it's pretty odd.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    I love this! First "i dont have time" casuals cried how hard the game is and how they want to see all same content than every1 else. And blizzard listened these whiny players and changed the game to this kindergarten lvl themepark game (ruined it). Now even the casuals who cryed before and got what they wanted are crying cause there are nothing to do in the game. Gotta love it.

Good job Blizzard, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    In short: Yes the downtime between last tier and next expansion is long and boring. Unsub and do something else?

Making sure content is of high quality?

Problem is they seem to do way too many iterations.

high quality content filled with nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Making sure content is of high quality?
    That's be a reasonable response if other studios weren't doing the same in a fraction of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I think it's something like this:

There are several teams. One or two are the bottleneck, they know it and they work their asses off or try to. The remaining teams know they aren't the bottleneck and somewhat relaxedly work on what they have. They are spending significantly more time on things than they normally would, pretending to care a lot about the quality, of course (which in the end will be the same it would have been normally). They can do this, because, again, they aren't the bottleneck, their taking more time is not going to delay anything significant. The community team scavenges for bits and pieces that they can show to the players to try and keep them interested. From time to time, one of the bottlenecked teams say "guys, we can't do this, we need more time" and the planned date for a release or for a beta slips once again.

Mismanagement. That's it.
    I think that's maybe a decent description of the issues; thanks, rda. Again though, and I hate to keep repeating myself, I just wonder how these bottlenecks develop when other studios aren't experiencing them. Whatever it is, we know that Blizzard is employing more staff and resources in every team, just in order to get out drastically less content than nigh-on every other design studio.

Put bluntly, it just doesn't add up. They're taking the piss.