Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexed View Post

so what do you guys think? and what should I do? if anything
    Maybe, maybe not, hard to tell. All in all you got it the legal way, why care how did the person before you obtain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    I dont understand why anyone would do this unless its stolen..

Also, if it looks and sounds too good to be true (That price for those specs), it usually is.

What should you do? Use it, and hope its not stolen and if it is, hope there is no way to track it.

Where did you buy it?
    People do some stupid things to protect their Identity, including doing shit that makes no sense...very possible the seller did this on the off chance the serial number could be used against him/her.
    *Official Ryg Tweet on Patch Notes Hype Train Passenger* -Never Forget

FYI ALL Windows 8 laptops don't have windows 8 stickers. They did away with it, the key itself is stored in the laptop's BIOS now. So if you ever reinstall the same version of Windows 8 it will just pickup the key in the bios so you don't have to worry about it.

Deleted
    If you declare it to the police, I can guarantee you will never see your money back. At best, the police will shake your hand for helping them find a thief.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexed View Post
    Got a nice new (kinda, listed as refurbished) laptop today, good specs and a good deal IMO.
    £485 for a Samsung chromos 7

Basically there's a crack on the bottom of the laptop, mentioned in the description (maybe due to tampering?), the internal speakers don't work, and the serial number is deliberately scratched off. there is also no windows 8 key sticker on the laptop.

other than that it looks brand new and works fine so i'm not sure I should worry about the small things.
    if it can do what I want then I guess I can't complain

pics-
    http://imgur.com/fsTROvk,b5OuWp9

spec:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    15.6 inch 1920x1080 screen
    Intel 3230M Dual core 3.2GHz hyperthreading
    AMD Radeon HD 8800M
    1TB HDD
    8GB RAM

so what do you guys think? and what should I do? if anything
    You did, ofc, get the original invoice, right?

If not, 99,9% certain, it's stolen..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, hard to tell. All in all you got it the legal way, why care how did the person before you obtain it.
    Buying stolen property is usually illegal.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Heh, my old bike got stolen by the local thieves. My mum (I was like 10 at the time) walked onto their garden mid day and took it back whilst they were there. They didn't say a word. It also had numbers n such scratched off so they were going to try to I guess, but she wrote it on something and put it inside the actual bike frame so we knew it was ours.
    I have a similar story too , My bike got stolen from our yard when I was like 8. When me and my mum were down at the local supermarket a few months later my mum spotted it and walked straight up to these complete cretins and yanked the bike of them and gave them the most brutal dirty look along with a few words I would not want to repeat.

They completely fucked the bike , repainted it. Broke the tires/brakes ETC.

Moral of the story ;

Middle aged woman are fucking scary.

Buying stolen things knowingly is as bad as stealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Captain obvious? He didn't know the laptop was stolen when he bought it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    all laptops are stolen to a certain degree
    I will be sure to remember that the next time I am on currys for an upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schinto View Post
    How is that bashing, I'm answering someone's question.
    Well I like to think I'm pretty smart usually, asking questions is one way to becoming more knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vightnic View Post
    I spy with my little eye... a Gamecube!
    Gamecubes are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    If you declare it to the police, I can guarantee you will never see your money back. At best, the police will shake your hand for helping them find a thief.
    Guaranteed I'm not going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MyndZero View Post
    FYI ALL Windows 8 laptops don't have windows 8 stickers. They did away with it, the key itself is stored in the laptop's BIOS now. So if you ever reinstall the same version of Windows 8 it will just pickup the key in the bios so you don't have to worry about it.
    Oh, that's a relief, thanks for telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    No but others have been posting about knowingly buying stolen goods
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    What about stealing stolen things?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    I dont know how it works in every country, but I think where I live the legalese of it is if "a reasonable person" could suspect the item as being stolen, then they need to report it to the police otherwise you can essentially be charged with handling stolen goods, not the end of the world but I wouldnt want a criminal record because of it.

Price + Missing tags, any reasonable person would suspect the item of being stolen. There is no problem buying it unknowingly but keeping it means if anyone ever traces it back to you ( highly unlikely mind you ) OP could be in trouble.
    Last edited by mmoc3bea1d4ff7; 2014-06-02 at 02:30 PM.