Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

So I know nothing of MOBA's...

But what is the gameplay of HotS like? I know it is called a MOBA, and I have learned what that is, but I don't understand exactly how it is played.

I know that the game was designed off the SC2 engine, and I am wondering if it is an RTS type game where I click on the map and my character walks there slowly or launches a spell there, or is it more like Wow PvP where I use attacks against other players?

I tried SC2 and didn't like it, because I prefer to have constant control over spells/attacks instead of ordering units around to do task x or attack y.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is RTS-like in the fact that it is top-down view and right click to move and such, but you only control one unit - your Hero.

Instead of controlling an army you control a single unit with mouse move like starcraft, or think diablo for a single hero mouse move. There are generally 2 or 3 "Lanes" in which teams spread out on, on these lanes each team has defensive structures that dish out serious hurt that you should not face tank. "Creeps" spawn which are lemming like npcs you farm for exp and by killing their creeps letting your creeps get further they tank those nasty defensive structures for you.

There are objectives that are different on every map and unlike most mobas objectives really matter in hots, you should help your team capture them. There are also mercenary camps that when killed fight for your team, later in the levels you should be trying to pick these up outside of objective fights. I've been on lots of teams that never tried to get a camp and it's usually a slow loss due to their significant pushing power from getting every merc camp under the sun.

There's too much to explain in a simple post but I will tell you the one major flaw I see most people have, and that's awareness. KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE MINIMAP. Know where the enemy heroes are/were and use that information to your advantage. So, so, so many times I see single heroes shooting at an enemy tower not watching how the 2 enemy heroes from top lane start heading to the lane he is in then the hero he was fighting comes out from behind the wall at the same time the other teams 2 heroes jump from out of vision and score and easy kill. Never be so far forward that if someone were to show up behind you couldn't get away. If you're far forward by yourself don't see any enemies on the map they are probably coming to kill you.

Deleted
    stop calling it a moba for one, it's hardly a tv cartoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graev View Post
    That's what the genre is called.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Graev View Post
    Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. MOBA.

That is what games like LoL, DoTA, and HoTS are.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

It's a a MOBA: a team based RTS where each player controls a specific character, each with a set of unique abilities (which are unlocked over the course of the match as you bash people's skulls in and complete objectives). The objective is to destroy the enemy base, which is at the opposite end of the map. Between the two bases are (generally) three ‘‘lanes'' or roads that you travel down, trying to carry your team mates and puny NPC cannonfodder called 'creeps' toward the enemy base. Unlike most other MOBAs, HoTS puts a heavy emphasis on objective based gameplay, where each map has a different set of unique objectives to be completed; completion of them will further progrews your team to victory (ie, working with your team to defeat a powerful NPC boss on the map, who will join your side and fight for you). Matches are about 15-30 minutes long; long enough for you to get emotionally invested in a game but short enough so that a single loss is no big deal.

Basically, the controls are just like Starcraft 2 or other modern RTS, but instead of armies and buildings you just control one hero, in a team of 5. You start in a base on one side of the map, the opposing team starts on the opposite side. Objective is to get into their base and destroy their main building.

Your own base periodically produces soldiers that attack the enemy base along three "lanes", top mid and bottom. There are guard towers defending those lanes which your soldiers are trying to destroy - you can help them with your hero (towers are strong and if you try to take one down on your own you'll take a lot of damage or die). The opposing team tries to stop you, while also helping their minions destroy your towers.

Your heroes gain XP and levels whenever they kill enemy soldiers or players. As you level you unlock a small range of skills and talents that modify those skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Others have explained the basics. Most MOBAs generally come down to knowing when to advance and when to retreat. Advance too quickly by yourself and you'll find yourself ambushed and outnumbered. Play too defensively and the opposing team will slowly gain on you. Play clever and work with your team. It's also usually a good idea to have a plan beforehand on how to advance your hero in the form of skills and gear, as most games leave little time to consider such things mid-game.

Last MOBA I played in any serious manner was DotA Allstars for Wc3. Hoping to get back into it with HotS.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all very much for the replies, I think I have a better understanding of the genre. Not sure if it is for me, but I hope I get the chance to try it one day. Thanks again!
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

HoTS was the same as LoL for me. Dull drawn out fights in matches that last 20+ minutes. The MOBA genre would be fun if it were more fast paced. But the slow movement and taking forever to kill an opponent with a few uninteresting abilities just makes it drag.

Of the MOBAs I've played HoTS is definitely the best looking with iconic characters, but the same dull gameplay you can find in any of the dime-a-dozen MOBAs.
    Last edited by Lightwysh; 2014-07-24 at 06:42 PM.

When you get into the game, there's a tutorial that runs you through the basics, and there's also a practice mode that lets you play solo against AI, so you can geta g ood feel for the game, with no worry of incurring any MOBA rage from teammates
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    HoTS was the same as LoL for me. Dull drawn out fights in matches that last 20+ minutes. The MOBA genre would be fun if it were more fast paced. But the slow movement and taking forever to kill an opponent with a few uninteresting abilities just makes it drag.

Of the MOBAs I've played HoTS is definitely the best looking with iconic characters, but the same dull gameplay you can find in any of the dime-a-dozen MOBAs.
    That's not biased at all. You've obviously not been playing the game(s) correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Thats not what ive heard from all of my friends.

But more importantly. if you have access to Hots. That means you're expecting to provide helpful input to help develop more towards its intended state. Not treat it like a finished product and complain.

Deleted

HoTS is a (bad) copy of lol, much more simple. Personally I really don't like Blizzard's approach to MOBAs at all. After many hours of giving him a chance I've already uninstalled it.

Try dota2, is more quick, complex and strategic than lol (and obviously than HoTS). And I'm not saying lol is a bad game, but it has a really different approach than dota (and HoTS follows lol philosophy).
    Last edited by mmocd2a2ae8157; 2014-09-08 at 01:44 PM.

Deleted
    A "Heroe Brawler" it´s what Blizz actually said Heroes of the Storm is (for me an evolution for better from a normal moba game)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. MOBA.

That is what games like LoL, DoTA, and HoTS are.
    HotS and Dota 2/LoL are comparable??? My interrest just vanished..

LoL: I literally fell asleep withon an hour.
    Dota 2: I haven't been able to finish 4th tutorial map, as my hero dies again and again, and in the end the respawn time is so long (2+ minutes) game is ruined..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Heroes of the Storm has several large mechanical changes separating it from LoL and Dota but at its core they are the same concept.
    It'll be free, so you can give it a go on release, but if you already tried and dislike other moba games then maybe don't sign up for beta access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Heroes of the Storm has several large mechanical changes separating it from LoL and Dota but at its core they are the same concept.
    It'll be free, so you can give it a go on release, but if you already tried and dislike other moba games then maybe don't sign up for beta access.
    At BlizzCon13 they descriped HotS as a pit-fight style game, 1-3 heroes against 1-3 heroes (similar to WoW arena)..

When did that change?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Never, because that didn't happen?
    They even had a shoutcasted match of heroes of the storm which clearly depicted teams of 5 heroes competing for objectives on a map with lanes, towers, and automated creep waves.

It was even playable in Blizzcon 2011 as a Starcraft map which was even more like dota than HotS in its current incarnation.

I'm sorry you got the wrong impression but this has never been pitched as the kind of fusion of diablo and WoW's arena you seemed to think it was.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2014-10-02 at 01:39 PM.