Poll: Should there be paid Class Changes in WoW?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you support it: Paid Class Changes?

What ho,

Historically, a lot of people including Blizzard have been against the idea of changing character classes, for plenty of reasons. But I believe things have changed enough in recent years to support such a feature. It's the age-old question:

Should we be able to pay Blizzard a little bit of money to change a character from one class to another?

I think Yes - here's why:

• Moral Argument: You might think it's a bad idea, because players should level up their new characters if they want to play something else. To this I would say that we can now purchase Character Boosts to Level 90. This means that if there ever were 'moral' reasons not to skip the levelling process, we've already disregarded those.
    • Class-Knowledge Argument: You might think it's a bad idea, because players should get to know their new class before using it at endgame. To this I would suggest applying the same technique as is presently used for paid Character Boost characters; strip the character of its abilities and force it to re-learn them through some questing. This should prepare players somewhat for the content. Furthermore, there could be a Proving Grounds 'performance test' required before heading into any group content.
    • Class-Content Argument: You might think it's a bad idea, because there are so many intricate details to set classes apart; such as the items you've collected. To this I propose that everything class-related that you've earned on your character could simply be translated into appropriate replacements on your new class. Paladin T15 would become Shaman T15, for instance. Also keep in mind that Tier gear will fit all specs in WoD, which helps.
    • Player Roles Argument: You might think it's a bad idea, as the server community might become unstable with players swapping roles left and right. This can be counteracted with a high price point for the Class Change, as well as a year-long cooldown on using the service. I would even argue that it's a good thing, because it might encourage players to try out something more niche, like tanking, if they've already built a solid character as a hunter.

Anyway.
    What do you think - is it time to unlock paid Class Changes?
    Last edited by mmocf747bdc2eb; 2014-07-24 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why throwing more money to blizzard?
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    Once I did, a long time ago. Now that I have 13 90's and am working on my 14th, no. It's so easy to level (and boost now to 90) that you don't ever need to class change.

they would charge $50-$60 for that fee, so why not just boost a character? then you can play both classes.

This is the kind of thing that would be better implemented, if ever, through something like an in-game trial experience. Veterans of the "City of Heroes" days will remember that you had to earn a character respec through a very demanding group task force/quest chain, actually called a "trial". In WoW, it would probably closest resemble the fun warlocks were recently treated to with their green fire quest. For a class change, you would need some really involved quest chain involving group content but also solo scenarios of Kanrethad worthy challenge, all with accompanying NPC lore of the change in discipline, etc, etc.

That would be how I'd do it, if I was going to do it at all. I don't think it's appropriate for micro-transaction, both for the in-game experience (boosting wasn't bad enough in terms of dropping a bunch of people with no idea how to play a character on others?) but also for the business model -- Blizzard wants you to play moar WoW. Dem alts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would you want this? You already have lvl 90 boost. This would be like buying a 90 boost + deleting your other character.

The only legitimate argument that I can see getting past the bullshitometer is the third one: what happens to your tier gear and class-specific items? The "change it to your new class" thing isn't a particularly good idea because what if they wanted to keep it for transmog? Basically, you'd have to have a huge disclaimer saying "if you can't equip it anymore, that's your issue to deal with." Unless they just gave you Boost gear, which I could see being a nice middle-ground.

Everything else is semantics.

Deleted
    I wouldn't use such a service. I'd rather learn to play while leveling. Besides, these days with heirlooms you hit level 90 in several days, why pay 50$ ?

Deleted
    no, there shouldn't be a paid boost to 90 either. so ofc I am against this.

this is an mmo. big part of an mmo is the leveling experience

I would have 2 years ago when I was switching my main. But now that I have my monk who will be my main until I or WoW dies, then no.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drae58 View Post
    they would charge $50-$60 for that fee, so why not just boost a character? then you can play both classes.
    This, basically. If you really want to spend your money to get a character to lvl 90, why would you sacrifice your already leveled character? You can simply buy the boost to lvl 90 and be done with it.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    What do you think - is it time to unlock paid Class Changes?
    What Ho,

Click here for a link that explains something even better than paid class changes, you even get to keep your current class!!!!
    "Do fish have dreams?" - Nick Cage
    The Cage!! In his most primal form!!

Deleted
    Erm, they already did it - the lvl90 boost is basically "class change."

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    no, there shouldn't be a paid boost to 90 either. so ofc I am against this.

this is an mmo. big part of an mmo is the leveling experience
    The levelling experience stopped being a big part of WoW long ago.

There's not really any good argument against it at this point; though the need for such an option is not very significant on account of the Level 90 Paid Character Boost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Once I did, a long time ago. Now that I have 13 90's and am working on my 14th, no. It's so easy to level (and boost now to 90) that you don't ever need to class change.
    For many people, your main is your main. You might be attached to a character for nostalgic reasons, the accomplishments you've made, or even the name you've reserved. Not saying this has to be the case, but it's a fairly common thing to want to move 'sideways' rather than starting over. You may have a bank full of cool stuff such as legendary items you always wanted to use, or Feats of Strength that are long gone.

Please no. I don't want to feel obligated to pay to change to a warlock or mage every time warriors or hunters inevitably start doing shitty damage

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    Why throwing more money to blizzard?
    Why care if it's not your money ?

A lot of people have said it before here: The Level 90 Boost, is, essentially, a Class Change Token.

If you're really lazy and have $60 to blow, you can keep both: your "failed" toon and the "flavor of the month/week/day/hour."

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

With the level boost in place, I really see no point to why this would be wanted. You get a near max level class of choice for $. That feature already baby feeds your abilities to you so you learn your class. Achievements are for the most part already account wide, no point there. As mentioned already your getting what you ask for plus losing a character...which seems dumb. Just boost a new level 1, win?
    Aku, Soku, Zan

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendsnDreamz View Post
    With the level boost in place, I really see no point to why this would be wanted. You get a near max level class of choice for $. That feature already baby feeds your abilities to you so you learn your class. Achievements are for the most part already account wide, no point there. As mentioned already your getting what you ask for plus losing a character...which seems dumb. Just boost a new level 1, win?
    Read my response to Darthisis.