Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CM gear account bound?

I've got a question concerning Challenge Mode gear.

From what I understand, it's soulbound to the character that got the achievement. But what if I have another max level character of that same class? Say, I got the gear on my 90 Gnome Mage. Can my 90 Undead Mage also wear the gear? If not, why not?

I'm all for challenge gear staying class bound, and that you should only wear the gear of the classes with which you actually ran the CM's and earned it (so, no "I run CM's on my hunter but now I want Pally CM gear"). But it seems a bit silly not to have access to the gear if I ran it with the exact same class before. It proves that I can do it on that class, doesn't it?

Opinions? Has Blizzard given an official statement on this?

Deleted
    Can my 90 Gnome Priest also wear the gear?
    No, you can not wear it with any char but the one you have earned it with. It's locked to one specific char, not class.

Opinion? I don't care.

On the one hand, yes. You've proven you can complete CMs, or be a tag along in the case of boosted players, for a given class so any characters of that class should be able to access it, much like any Warlocks who complete the Green Fire quest will have access to the title "of the Black Harvest" in WoD (Assuming it hasn't been axed yet) for any Warlock characters they have, regardless of whether or not they did the Green Fire quest on that character.

Then on the other hand you can make the argument for "You didn't do it on that character so why should you get prestigious items on that character?". I'm all for it, but you'll have some people who's argue against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    I've got a question concerning Challenge Mode gear.

From what I understand, it's soulbound to the character that got the achievement. But what if I have another max level character of that same class? Say, I got the gear on my 90 Gnome Mage. Can my 90 Undead Mage also wear the gear? If not, why not?

I'm all for challenge gear staying class bound, and that you should only wear the gear of the classes with which you actually ran the CM's and earned it (so, no "I run CM's on my hunter but now I want Pally CM gear"). But it seems a bit silly not to have access to the gear if I ran it with the exact same class before. It proves that I can do it on that class, doesn't it?

Opinions?
    It remains bound to the character that earned the achievement. And it should stay that way. Say you earned the CM gear on an Arms warrior, and you have a prot warrior alt who you aren't confident enough to take in and tank CM's. Does that toon deserve the CM gear just because you earned it on a confident main? I don't think so.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

I think if you did challenge modes on gold, those achievements should become account-bound and allow you to buy CM gear on any current or future character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    It remains bound to the character that earned the achievement. And it should stay that way. Say you earned the CM gear on an Arms warrior, and you have a prot warrior alt who you aren't confident enough to take in and tank CM's. Does that toon deserve the CM gear just because you earned it on a confident main? I don't think so.

You still beat the challenge, so that comparison is whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    On the one hand, yes. You've proven you can complete CMs, or be a tag along in the case of boosted players, for a given class so any characters of that class should be able to access it, much like any Warlocks who complete the Green Fire quest will have access to the title "of the Black Harvest" in WoD (Assuming it hasn't been axed yet) for any Warlock characters they have, regardless of whether or not they did the Green Fire quest on that character.

Wait, will the Green Fire quest be removed after MoP? Do I have to hurry leveling up my Warlock? :O

You've proven you can complete CMs, or be a tag along in the case of boosted players
    Last edited by dummliujin; 2014-07-29 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Wait, will the Green Fire quest be removed after MoP? Do I have to hurry leveling up my Warlock? :O

No, not removed. People who did it before 6.0 will get a Feat of Strength, and the title: <name> of the Black Harvest. Those who do it after don't get the feat nor the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    No, not removed. People who did it before 6.0 will get a Feat of Strength, and the title: <name> of the Black Harvest. Those who do it after don't get the feat nor the title.
    Ah, that's a good solution then

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dummliujin View Post
    You've proven you can complete CMs, or be a tag along in the case of boosted players
    That goes for CM's in general though. By that logic, no one should be able to wear the gear, because you can't prove they weren't carried.

For me, the concern is mostly about characters that I haven't even started yet, or that are low level. Next expansion I might start a Draenei Priest and find that some of the CM gear really exactly fits her, and would be my favorite transmog set for her. And I do have completed the CM's on my Night Elf Priest. I guess I just don't see why my newly created character, with whom I couldn't possibly have done CM's since she was created after MoP, can't have access to the gear I earned on another character of the same class.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post

Then on the other hand you can make the argument for "You didn't do it on that character so why should you get prestigious items on that character?". I'm all for it, but you'll have some people who's argue against it.
    But with green fire you can bash it out at ilvl 570 and kill it before you even have to deal with any mechanics where as CMs are at least scaled down, i done my green fire in mostly crap timeless gear and a heirloom staff and even at 500 ilvl it was easy, in around 480 ish it will be a little trickier but its just about dealing with each mechanic correctly.

What if I did the CM's as an Arms warrior and then respect to Prot? By your logic, I shouldn't be able to wear it then.

By your logic, the set should become unusable if you respec but should be usable on, for instance, your arms warrior on another server. It doesn't work that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like that, as someone who has several max level class duplicates and the CM set on only one of each of them. Now that I've done CMs multiple times and on multiple classes, I don't think it would be too difficult to repeat. The trouble is finding a competent group and time in my busy life. This would be a nice solution, but I don't see them ever giving this to us.

I completely "get" the arguments as to why you can't get the set on one class for having completed it on another, but this argument is just silly because you can change specs between characters, and the sets aren't locked or unique to a particular spec. Maybe the arms warrior when prot for the runs. Maybe the prot warrior could go arms. Maybe both of them went fury. In fact, plenty of people do intentionally change their spec for CMs to use the one that scales down the best and do pigeonhole particular classes into the role they're best at in that context, so it's likely that OP would have used the same spec anyway had they repeated all of them on an alt. Even main/alt doesn't matter since gear is scaled down. I don't think unlocking the sets per-classes is cheesing the sets on any level.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

That makes no sense... Because you could have earned the CM set for the protection warrior by just playing the protection warrior as Arms for challenge modes just as you had on the 1st warrior. It's not as if an Arms Warrior and Protection Warriors have different challenge mode sets.

If he wanted the challenge mode set on a prot warrior he could even just respec the original warrior that got the set.. Should that not be allowed as he didn't earn the set by playing Protection in the challenge modes ?

Your logic is heavily flawed and honestly the game's is a little bit too in terms of the scenario you describe.

Challenge modes' challenge isn't "can you beat this gold timer as a tank to get this tank set of transmog" it's "can you beat this gold timer?" So it's irrelevant which character of a given class you earned it on and as a guy above said; I might play Prot in raids but I did challenge mode as Arms because my best friend the Brewmaster Monk wanted to tank or some other arbitrary reason - the challenge and reward are only class specific.

Further, the most class-specific thing in the game at the moment, the wave 30 proving grounds titles, ARE account-wide as my friend regularly runs around on his protection warrior wearing the Proven Healer title.

All this talk of "deserving" shit is getting tired as well; I've gotten 9/9 gold more than once now and I did it my damn self - one friend was there for the whole thing but otherwise we used Oqueue and Openraid to do it and while I'm glad I did it, I don't think I "deserve" the armor more than some guy who paid 80,000 gold for a carry and apparently the game doesn't either - all I can say is that I probably have a warmer / different feeling about it since I underwent some trials to get it.

I'm just sick of people talking about having "rights" to pixels and polygons and "deserving" things in a video game...it's disturbing.

So tl;dr - what role you played as a specific class isn't really relevant to the whole challenge mode armor being account-wide question.

Personally, I don't make duplicate characters because I dislike alts and don't have any interest in investing time into them but if someone gets c.mode armor on all the classes, he ought to have it on whatever toon he makes - the challenges are normalized and they're not spec-specific or role-specific in terms of the reward (if there was a different set for Prot Warrior than there was for Arms and Fury, it'd be a different story, for sure) so I can't really see the justification.
    Signature dunked by a lame MMO Champ robot.

If the CM gear became account-bound and class-bound, I'd also be more incentivized to do CM's in the remaining time now.

For example, I have a Gnome Monk, but I don't like the CM set very much on her. I'm planning on creating a Pandaren Monk at some point though, and I'd quite like the Monk CM set on a Pandaren. I won't get around to leveling the Pandaren Monk from 1-90 and gear her up and do the CM's, on time. But if I could do them on my Gnome Monk now, and thus unlock the set for my future Pandaren Monk, I'd do it now.

This is a very valid question, and it should be raised somewhere where the devs can see it, such as the official forums or, more likely Twitter, if you have access to either of those. I think having access to CM gear on all characters of a particular class that you have completed Gold with is common sense and it should happen, particularly since they are getting removed (so there is no potential future replay value on those alts).

Same logic could be applied to rbg rating, if you get 1800 on one of your mages then all of them should be able to use the 60 pvp tranmog gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    This is a very valid question, and it should be raised somewhere where the devs can see it, such as the official forums or, more likely Twitter, if you have access to either of those. I think having access to CM gear on all characters of a particular class that you have completed Gold with is common sense and it should happen, particularly since they are getting removed (so there is no potential future replay value on those alts).
    It's been brought up to the devs on twitter a number of times, but I have not seen any responses. For now assuming they are just not interested in doing it.

I'd like for it to happen personally. I love my Priest's transmog, but likely won't play on that realm much in the expac and don't want to pay money to transfer just for an armor set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    It's been brought up to the devs on twitter a number of times, but I have not seen any responses. For now assuming they are just not interested in doing it.

I'd like for it to happen personally. I love my Priest's transmog, but likely won't play on that realm much in the expac and don't want to pay money to transfer just for an armor set.

I think they want to leave it this way for now. In the near future, they might be open to suggestions, and I will continue suggesting it. Not only that, but once you finish CMs on gold, that all your characters (no matter the class) will be eligible to buy CM gear.