Page 1 of 2
LastLast

spectral guise in raiding

so i've always just used angelic bulwark for raiding but i've noticed some other priests using SG...how does this work in raiding? for example: during annihilate on garrosh would using SG block an entire blow from hitting you? or in what particular fights would this be useful? thanks

also, doesn't this always make it so you can't cast any dps spells or it drops? being 584 i should know this by now, but i don't :P

Use it to drop yourself from the threat table of a boss. I use it on Thok for Fixates, Blackfuse for the Sawblade, and Paragons for the Aim.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Use it to drop yourself from the threat table of a boss. I use it on Thok for Fixates, Blackfuse for the Sawblade, and Paragons for the Aim.
    is that the only use for it? doesn't fade do that more efficiently? + it's baseline

Quote Originally Posted by zimboombafoo View Post
    is that the only use for it? doesn't fade do that more efficiently? + it's baseline
    Fade doesn't drop you from the threat table; it drops your threat to zero. Fade does nothing for any of these mechanics. It's the same reason why Fade doesn't drop combat in the open world, but Spectral Guise will.

Fade doesn't drop you from the threat table; it drops your threat to zero. Fade does nothing for any of these mechanics. It's the same reason why Fade doesn't drop combat in the open world, but Spectral Guise will.
    Spectral Guise works pretty much the same way as Feign Death and Vanish, with the drawback of not putting you out of combat (so you can't really use it to survive a wipe.)

As such, it works on the abilities Larynx listed earlier (and any other abilities that can be vanished/feign deathed).
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    It's because of that thing you did that one time. We know. (source)

Quote Originally Posted by Serzha View Post
    Spectral Guise works pretty much the same way as Feign Death and Vanish, with the drawback of not putting you out of combat (so you can't really use it to survive a wipe.)

As such, it works on the abilities Larynx listed earlier (and any other abilities that can be vanished/feign deathed).
    I've actually found that it can be used to avoid a wipe. It's very finicky, just like Shadowmeld (thought I believe that's a bit unique with its mechanics) for the same purpose. Last person alive/on the threat table, and you need to avoid taking any damage for a second. The boss eventually despawns though.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've actually found that it can be used to avoid a wipe. It's very finicky, just like Shadowmeld (thought I believe that's a bit unique with its mechanics) for the same purpose. Last person alive/on the threat table, and you need to avoid taking any damage for a second. The boss eventually despawns though.
    I have seen it used to drop combat, but it is rather temperemental.

I've also seen it used to drop Mesmerize on Paragons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Brolibear!
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Ladies know and love his caaaaaause! It is the Panda with the Chainsaw claaaaaws!

Deleted

Don't do it on thok unless you want to murder your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycheh View Post
    Don't do it on thok unless you want to murder your raid.
    You wouldn't burn it while thok is still in the bullpen. but if you're halfway down the hall and running out of room to kite, it's a pretty good failsafe. In 10m it's not uncommon to be fixated 2-3 times in a row given that there's usually only 8 other targets to fixate.

Deleted
    Using SG to break fixate is actually useful if you're about to get chomped. When he has a few stacks it can be easy to accidentally get a couple of your feathers be inadvertantly taken by other raid members and get a bit behind on the kiting - in this situation it can be good to spectral guise to save yourself if you are far enough away from the raid - though you must communicate this with the raid on voice comms as he will refixate instantly without raid warning.

Bottom line is spectral guise completely negates boss abilities such as aim. Fade doesn't.

You use it on Siegecrafter to cancel saw blades, and you can cancel Aim and Mesmerize in Paragons.

That's the only times to use it.

If you don't have it on heroic Paragons you're doing it wrong.

I use it all the time to survive wipes and dodge things that have been already mentioned.

I just wish it was off the GCD, never understood why it is not...

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    If you don't have it on heroic Paragons you're doing it wrong.
    This. It's amazing for herioc paragons.
    Oceanic spriest, thanks blizz for giving us aus servers. 9/9 mythic.

It also is very useful to, well, wipe recovery, if you time it right, you can save a death.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I just wish it was off the GCD, never understood why it is not...
    This is why /stopcasting comes in handy, although it should already do that without the need of a macro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    . In 10m it's not uncommon to be fixated 2-3 times in a row given that there's usually only 8 other targets to fixate.
    You'll only get fixated twice in a row if you don't position yourself properly

As for Siegecrafter you need to use it immediately as soon as he targets you.
    If you're late 1-2 seconds the blade will be thrown regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    This is why /stopcasting comes in handy, although it should already do that without the need of a macro
    Doesn't help with instants, which are what I like to use on siegecrafter while those rings of fire and the magnet are up at the same time.
    Getting rid of the sawblades can be annoyingly close in that situtation and would be an almost guaranteed wipe when it fails.

Edit: Thinking on it I guess it is an bandaid so instants cast just before SG with a macro will not cancel it right away when the server mixes up the order of execution. They had problems with that and vanish in the past, maybe they thought it was not worth the time to fix it properly?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2014-09-27 at 01:10 PM.