Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Windows 10 and how it works for games

So, now that you can get the tech preview of Windows 10, there'll be more experiences from people using it. I would like to hear from people who have used it and played games on it, whether there are any glaring problems, bugs, crashing, and so on. Is it sluggish, does it suck all your power for an insane amount of useless processes and services and all these kinds of things.

I personally am still using Windows XP Pro, as I never was convinced about 7 being any better than XP for games, and then there was talk about 8 coming out and so I waited for that, only to find out it was some tablet shit, and so I decided to wait for the next one, and now here it is. XP has lost it's support, and it might be high time to get a new Windows, and specifically for gaming purposes, hence the thread on this subforum.

I've always tuned my Windows so that only the services I absolutely need are automatically run (or run at all), and that there are no pointless processes and systray agents fudging up my computer, so I'm interested in knowing how easy 10 is to tune in such ways.

Also, one point of interest would be to know how much more power 10 takes over 8 and 7, RAM and CPU -wise.

Here's a video if you haven't already seen it:

Feel free to post your experiences or links to reviews and stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope they've realised that I don't want to turn my PC into a tablet.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the changes that relate to games such as DX12 is not in yet, with a lot of it being aimed at business users and people that complained about metro in 8.

As for you using windows xp, you'd be wise to upgrade even if you are not convinced about 7 or 8 since microsoft has officially dropped all support for the OS some time ago and there is bound to be security holes popping up that less good willed people are bound to exploit.

Deleted
    Ur using windows xp pro and aren't convinced that 7 is better for gaming. I'm not sure what to say. Benchmarks must be wrong.

Also windows 8.1 is a great os, even better than windows 7, but every person has something they really dislike about it.
    (For example, the metro start screen, or in my case the tabbing from inside a game to the desktop feels worse than 7).

Windows 10 seems to be a big step into the right direction and I'm looking forward to testing it later on my other pc.

-

Also there's no point talking about the speed, performance, stability of an OS, when it's a technical preview.

Technical preview is somewhere around the alpha stage. If you remember windows 7 alpha = vista retail at some point.
    Last edited by mmoc19ee780deb; 2014-10-02 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Hope they've realised that I don't want to turn my PC into a tablet.
    I just hope they don't design this OS around a Phone / Tablet. Again.

Been using Win8 / 8.1 since November off and on depending which computer I'm using and where, and I hate pretty much everything about it, and it hasn't proven itself to be that much better.
    Laptop or Desktop...
    =\
    Don't even like it in it's Tablet form.

Oh look, Dx11.1!... Only if more than 10 games actually used it.

Too bad so many games are still using Dx9.
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

i have to agree with the above posters.

regardless of how 10 turns out you should upgrade form XP to something more recent
    both 7 and 8 are a huge improvement over xp. maybe on release day they were worse but that was a long time ago. from what i can remember 7 uses a huge deal less resources and disk space than XP did, and windows 8 even less - presumable 10 will follow this trend, or at least use what is available more efficiently.

People forget that metro isnt the operating system, but is ONLY a UI.
    yeah the metro ui sucks big time but you only ever see it once per boot up for as long as it takes you to hit the windows key (0.2 seconds?). or not at all if you disable it. from there on its vastly superior.

As for actually trying 10 there is very little point right now. If you do want to try i would suggest waiting for a later release candidate, and even then dual booting.
    I ran a dual boot of 7 and the 2nd public build of 8 for a long time before getting the full build and dropping 7 all together. While some programs and games worked amazingly well in the early version, there were still many that just didn't - in fact, my sound card didnt have official drivers until Oct last year (being forced to use a 7.1 setup in a 2.0 stereo is incredibly annoying)
    Last edited by Agzarah; 2014-10-02 at 11:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what?

10?

what happened to 9?

Is it the cool thing to do to skip numbers now? (looking at you NVIDIA!)

Oh and to the haters, windows 8 is great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Wait, what?

10?

what happened to 9?
    Seven eight nine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oishi View Post
    It's been out for two days :P
    I know, I just made the thread now to start the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazori View Post
    Ur using windows xp pro and aren't convinced that 7 is better for gaming. I'm not sure what to say.
    No, what I said was that I wasn't convinced 7 would be better back when 7 was out, after the fiasco that was Vista. I knew it would be a safe bet to wait a while and see how 7 turned out, instead of wasting my money on it as I wasn't exactly swimming in cash back then. Vista was such an epic failure, and it came out before 7, that I couldn't trust 7 to be in any way great. Then time passed, and I saw no reason to upgrade to 7 for a while, as XP Pro was working just fine for me, and nobody was hyping 7 up so much that I would've wanted to switch to it. Plus there were some gaming problems with 7 in the very beginning, which made me dubious about it.

Then time passed on, and 8 was already coming out, so it made no sense to buy the older Windows as the new one was coming out. Well, it turned out 8 had even more bad publicity about it, so I decided to stick with XP Pro, especially as my PC at the time was a bit old. Then I just made the decision to wait for 9 (which never came because seven eight nine), and now it's here; except it's 10.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As for you using windows xp, you'd be wise to upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Agzarah View Post
    regardless of how 10 turns out you should upgrade form XP to something more recent
    Yes, yes. I'm planning on doing just that. I just don't want to throw away several hundred euros on some piece of tablet crap, so knowing whether I should go for 10 or perhaps even 7 would be cool at this point. Hence it's good to have some discussions about it.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-10-02 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Seven eight nine.

I know, I just made the thread now to start the discussion.
    seven ate nine?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing bad about 8 was Metro. Everything else about it was better. After using classicshell for my start menu back, I wouldn't ever go back to 7.

Wait, what?

10?

what happened to 9?

Is it the cool thing to do to skip numbers now? (looking at you NVIDIA!)

Oh and to the haters, windows 8 is great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dZIutRz9hw ..right?

Been working with 8 for a year and it's horrible, to me. So many inefficient additional keystrokes or actions to perform just for the sake of that fucking metro interface.

Deleted
    Umm, what happened to Windows 9? O.o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearington View Post
    Umm, what happened to Windows 9?
    Nothing, they're great. I've been running Windows 9 for 2 years now without a problem so I don't think I'll upgrade to 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearington View Post
    Umm, what happened to Windows 9? O.o
    It is windows 9, just under a different name, the version number is still following in order.

Windows 10 will have NT 6.4
    Windows 8.1 had NT 6.3
    windows 8 had NT 6.2
    Windows 7 had NT 6.1
    Windows vista had NT 6.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    So many inefficient additional keystrokes or actions to perform just for the sake of that fucking metro interface.
    Don't use it then?

Deleted
    About why they skipped windows 9 in favor of windows 10 (Seems very logical).

http://www.neowin.net/news/rumors-su...-of-windows-95
    Last edited by mmoc19ee780deb; 2014-10-02 at 12:27 PM.

Don't use it then?
    It's my business laptop. You don't really think I would subject myself to the torture of windows 8 or 8.1 day in day out if I could help it right? Burning the laptop sadly doesn't help either, because I would get a new one, with windows 8. Some fates can't be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazori View Post
    About why they skipped windows 9 in favor of windows 10 (Seems very logical).

http://www.neowin.net/news/rumors-su...-of-windows-95
    Well, this clearly shows how the programmers of Microsoft, do not stick to the rules of their own products :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    It's my business laptop. You don't really think I would subject myself to the torture of windows 8 or 8.1 day in day out if I could help it right? Burning the laptop sadly doesn't help either, because I would get a new one, with windows 8. Some fates can't be avoided.
    I meant don't use the metro interface.

I meant don't use the metro interface.
    Sadly I have never received a copy of 8.1, but I do say sadly with some irony. 8 has failed as I predicted pre-launch and I like to stay convinced I'm right.

Deleted
    Not sure if this one has been posted yet? But it answers most people's questions:

Windows 10 pretty much brings the best out of Windows 7 and 8, maintaining the look and feel of Windows 7, but the strength of Windows 8.

They do a simple demonstration of the UI around 12 minutes in.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2014-10-02 at 12:34 PM.