Deleted

Accidental Target Selection Issue Since Patch

Hi All,

Apologies if this has already been covered, I did a search but found nothing.

Ever since the patch it seems that my target selection has been dodgy as hell. I'm a non-clicker, which means I'm using the mouse to turn, control view, etc. Before the patch, I click the right mouse button, turn, release, and if I happen to mouseover another target (friendly or otherwise) it will not select that target when I click so long as I involve a movement in the cursor. Now, after the patch, I notice my target is falling and / or selecting another target (I've tried with both sticky target on and off) if the cursor is on a target when I initiate the mouse turn. The new accidental target would be selected when I release the mouse button no matter how much movement is involved in the cursor. Am I making sense?!?

It drove me crazy until a few other guildies noticed the same thing. I don't know what Blizzard have changed or if there is something in the options I can select to stop this (already tried sticky targets as mentioned above) but something is definitely different in the way the system works. I've tried to keep the cursor in free zones where there is nothing to select but sometimes in a raid of 30 players plus adds, etc, it's inevitable you end up mousing over something target-able in the midst of a raid.

So my question is, does an addon exist that I can use to customize how mouse buttons work with targeting? I think the best fix would be to disable the right mouse button ability to be able to target altogether.

TLDR; my mouse turning is fucked up, how do i stop accidentally targeting stuff whilst mouse turning?

i turn with both mouse buttons held down, so that i dont accidentilly click somewhere since 2005 i think?

bahahaha, you have classic symptoms of clicker bendage.

Basically your RMB is broken, the little prong piece of shit that's inside doesnt bend properly anymore, and you end up with such bullshit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i turn with both mouse buttons held down, so that i dont accidentilly click somewhere since 2005 i think?
    If you hold down both mouse buttons the character runs forward. That's not really an option if you just want to turn or side step.

Quote Originally Posted by KevyB View Post
    bahahaha, you have classic symptoms of clicker bendage.

Basically your RMB is broken, the little prong piece of shit that's inside doesnt bend properly anymore, and you end up with such bullshit.
    This was my first thought but it's not my mouse. It's working fine with every other aspect of the game (and outside the game for that matter) and this suddenly started happening right after the patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    So far I did not notice the problem you describe, but nevertheless I will test this today, when I am at home.
    Just some questions to rule out some possibilities.

• Do you use any any addons that alter the interface (e.g. ElvUI)
    • Do all of your guild mates have this problem or just specific ones? If it is the latter I suspect this to be something involving my first question.
    • When you disable all addons do you still have this issue?

Deleted
    Hi Velasco, to answer your points:

• I use IceHUD. I'm the only one that uses it in my guild so far as I know. Most use ElvUI.
    • Not all guildies have mentioned it but I guess it's not something that one would notice straight away or you assume you are just being spaz with the mouse when it first happens. I'm certain something has changed as I never had this problem before and now it seems to happen dozens of times each raid.
    • I haven't tried raiding without addons yet, i'll see if I can try that tonight.
    Last edited by mmocc2eb32b347; 2014-10-20 at 11:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    ok, I just tried to reproduce the problem. Just to make sure I understood it right, here is a rundown.
    First test:
    I had no target selected. I hovered my cursor over an NPC without selecting it. Then I right-clicked and start changing my view. I stopped and released the right mouse button. The result was a different view with no NPC selected, which is the behaviour I know.

Second test

I tried again this time with an NPC selected and doing the same steps again. I right-clicked, changed the view and released the button. The NPC was still selected.

Third test

With the NPC still selected and initiating I did a change in view, while the cursor was hovering over different NPC. The first NPC was selected throughout the test, without ever losing it, also no other NPC was selected during that test.

The tests were done in the open world, no raid/dungeon/scenario.

The patch introduced a good bulk of changes with regards to parameters for the various functions. That's why I suspect that one addon is not yet working correctly. For reference I too use ElvUI and do not see that problem.

If you use the Curse downloader you may try the beta or even alpha version of an addon (Right click the addon and select "Preferred Release Type"). It might be that the author did not yet release a stable candidate. I had this with Tidyplates Threatplates.

Hope this helps

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had this problem in the past as well it happened to me on 2 occasions;

- An addon was causing so much LUA or other errors that it clogged up my CPU usage without noticing initially, but ended up with weird mouse lag like you described. Update your addons, or try turning individual components on and off, or try without any addons and turn them back on one by one. Also check any WeakAuras that may not function properly anymore (if you're using WA)
    - My mouse was broken, and the little clicker inside the (especially right) button didn't register properly, causing the same kind of problems, perhaps a bit less screen lag. Get a new mouse.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    Thanks very much for taking the time to look into this Velasco. I think you've confirmed that this is a problem with my setup as opposed to something Blizzard have necessarily changed. If it was a Blizzard UI change i'd expect a bigger response here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    I have had this problem in the past as well it happened to me on 2 occasions;

- An addon was causing so much LUA or other errors that it clogged up my CPU usage without noticing initially, but ended up with weird mouse lag like you described. Update your addons, or try turning individual components on and off, or try without any addons and turn them back on one by one. Also check any WeakAuras that may not function properly anymore (if you're using WA)

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    I think you're on to something here. I've noticed the game seems to be using a lot more resources occasionally and it could be causing my mouse to lag out. Just seems odd as i've had LUA problems in previous major patches and it's never effected my mouse in this way. I'll sort it eventually. Thanks for the help.