Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The girlfriend will get charged with obstruction and interfering with a police investigation if she does not give up your brother. You cant really blame her, honestly the guy just needs to come out of hiding and just face it. At most its just a slap on the wrist and minimum jail time for evading arrest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did he seriously lead the police to his own domicile? wow..

Quote Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
    The car didn't drove itself. So the oh great justice system you live in has tricks to either pick the guilty out of the party or put the blame on whole party. It's either up to the mom and girlfriend to step up and tell the truth or take the blame for your bro.
    Maybe it was a google car... drove itself, yakno.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Did he seriously lead the police to his own domicile? wow..

Maybe it was a google car... drove itself, yakno.
    I thought it was his g/f's parents house.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyalbo View Post
    so my brother was in a car with his gf, and my brother was apparently driving. now my brothers license is suspended so hes not supposed to be driving.
    You can stop right there...I think I found the problem. Your brother is already on record as being a driver so bad it was literally illegal. Then, someone driving his car fled from the police after, yep, driving so bad it was illegal. They know it's your brother, and your brother is going to jail. I'm not sure "proof" is required when they already have it narrowed down to two people, one of whom is ready to turn witness against your brother -- who, again, is the one with the record.

Also, asking for legal advice here is like asking for cooking directions at a gas station. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyalbo View Post
    so my brother was in a car with his gf, and my brother was apparently driving. now my brothers license is suspended so hes not supposed to be driving. a cop went to go pull them over (for what im told a reason wasnt given why) and my brother got scared and decided to drive away. at some point he apparently parked the car at the house and went into the woods in hid. the cop saw someone run into the woods but wasnt sure who it was and didnt go look for him. he then tried to arrest his girlfriend for driving the car but had no proof it was her and couldnt do it, he also tried getting the mom to admitting it was her who was driving. Now like 3 days after the incident the cop came to my house and said he was looking for my brother and said his girlfriend said he was driving. hes apparently going to go to my brothers job tomorrow to talk to him. the cop doesnt have proof of who was driving but said he was trying to get an alibi from my brother to say he wasnt there and then i believe the cop said he was going to charge his girlfriend then. now my question is, because the cop doesnt know who was driving, what can happen to them?
    How could a reason be given if he drove away?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Statements made to the police, have only so much legal value. They are not given under oath and are subject to change all the time.
    Then why is it illegal to lie to the police?

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    He has proof of a chase and run (dash cam).
    The police has a proof of a car driving away. However since cars are neither sentient, nor liable for their actions it is not enough. The police must also prove beyond reasonable doubt who was driving which may be rather tricky since there is only 1 witness which has obvious reasons to lie. The case is not slam dunk unless he confesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FreddyLee View Post
    I don't want to sound like a dick, but so much this.

He broke the law, severely, and should be punished.
    lol "severely".. Driving without a license is certainly against the law but, "severely" ? Not even close.

Tell that dumb-ass cop to prove it, or get off your property. Case closed.

Don't let these idiots tell you something that's going to land your bother in jail. If the cop can't prove it, he ain't got shit. Period.

And they have nothing unless he tells on himself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Taka View Post
    Hopefully for you and your brother nothing you said in this post could be found and hinder a decision as to what happens to either of them
    Really? You can go ahead and facepalm yourself now.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    Get your brother to speak to a Lawyer.

^^^^ This.

Regardless of the ethics of your brother's actions, he need a good lawyer, right now.

And no, he should not talk to the police. No one who is under any suspicion of having done anything wrong should ever talk to the police. When it comes to proving you guilty of something, the police are not your friend, they are not a neutral party, they are interested in providing the DA with as much incriminating evidence as possible. (And they can legally lie to get it. Under questionable circumstances, don't trust anything the police say.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Camel View Post
    Get your brother to speak to a Lawyer.
    This. Call a lawyer, he will tell him what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    lol "severely".. Driving without a license is certainly against the law but, "severely" ? Not even close.
    Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor. Felony evasion, on the other hand...

Except that the GF is going to roll on him and then he's fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    I was referring to this part:

and my last post to you should explain that quite clear.

again..... If I put my ass in your car, I approve of your action... If you get in trouble, I most certainly will therefore not throw you under the bus. I am not a hypocrite.
    You sit in my car, I then pull out a gun and do a drive by. You now accept all blame when you're caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post

Not necessarily, if he does the really scum move and says she was driving and did not stop because she was drunk/on drugs/without license/whatever else. Then its word against word.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    The police has a proof of a car driving away. However since cars are neither sentient, nor liable for their actions it is not enough. The police must also prove beyond reasonable doubt who was driving which may be rather tricky since there is only 1 witness which has obvious reasons to lie. The case is not slam dunk unless he confesses.
    They already have all the proof they need. The girl was found in the car, she pinned it on the boy who drove to his own house. That will pin him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    Not necessarily, if he does the really scum move and says she was driving and did not stop because she was drunk/on drugs/without license/whatever else. Then its word against word.
    What? Where are you getting that she was on drugs? Did I miss a post? The cops have access to that because she was arrested.

I agree...but evading police is a serious issue and depending on state could land you a misdemeanor and possible jail time and/or fine. If you injure someone or the cop while fleeing you now have a felony charge coming.

Tell that dumb-ass cop to prove it, or get off your property. Case closed.

Don't let these idiots tell you something that's going to land your bother in jail. If the cop can't prove it, he ain't got shit. Period.

And this is what is wrong with America. We have people who think it is ok to skirt their responsibilities for shit they have done. What the fuck is wrong with you people? The police are out there trying to enforce our laws, keep people safe and we have an idiot run putting others in danger in the process and you fucking stick up for the kid?

10+ Year Old Account
    Driving on a suspended license is a misdemeanor. Felony evasion, on the other hand...

Well IF she does that, it'll be her word against his. and he could just say SHE was driving.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Well IF she does that, it'll be her word against his. and he could just say SHE was driving.
    He drove to HIS house and fled from the sound of the OP. So that points to him. Also the cop saw someone else flee, which also helps point to him since the driver is more likely to flee than a passenger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I agree...but evading police is a serious issue and depending on state could land you a misdemeanor and possible jail time and/or fine. If you injure someone or the cop while fleeing you now have a felony charge coming.
    (If you Jwalk, it's not even a misdemeanor in a lot of places, but if you pull out a gun, while Jwalking and shoot someone, it's a felony.)

What exactly was you point?

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    And this is what is wrong with America. We have people who think it is ok to skirt their responsibilities for shit they have done. What the fuck is wrong with you people? The police are out there trying to enforce our laws, keep people safe and we have an idiot run putting others in danger in the process and you fucking stick up for the kid?

Yo.. I don't drive without a license. No one is sticking up for anyone here. I don't care what law you break or don't break, that's on you, and ONLY you.. But I won't sit by and let others use unfair means to stop you, if we're ALL supposed to be being held to this "fairness" of a system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    He drove to HIS house and fled from the sound of the OP. So that points to him. Also the cop saw someone else flee, which also helps point to him since the driver is more likely to flee than a passenger.
    Whatever "helps" helps..But it means nothing if you cannot PROVE it.

It doesn't matter what you know, but what you can PROVE.

Except the cop would testify that she wasn't in the driver's seat when he pulled up, and he saw the driver flee, which would completely torpedo his defense.

Also, it seems NY State is strange, and evasion is only a Class A Misdemeanor as long as you don't hurt anyone. Still up to a year and $1000, but far less awful than many states where it's always a felony (or always charged as such since it just requires "a substantial risk of serious physical harm to persons or property", which you can pin on almost any chase).

10+ Year Old Account
    Except the cop would testify that she wasn't in the driver's seat when he pulled up, and he saw the driver flee, which would completely torpedo his defense..
    You're telling us what the cop saw now?

Objection. Here-say. Thrown-out. Congrats.

Hate to be the one to tell you this,

Your brother needs to admit it was him,
    Your brother needs to lose his license all together