Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisys View Post
    An equally qualified black man and white man interview for a job, who do you think gets it? I'll give you a hint, probably not the white man. Hows that for equality?
    Or in reality : An equally qualified black man and white man apply for a job, who do you think even gets an interview? Not the black man.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Leeches View Post
    They are the scum of the Earth. There is one thing you can take from someone that they can never, ever get back and that is time. Wasting innocent peoples time because YOU feel YOUR opinions and thoughts and issues are more important than theirs is fucking disgusting.

There is a time and place to care about the death of criminals and that time isn't when people are trying to get to work.

You are blocking traffic and the lives of thousands to protest the death of a criminal who was in the process of trying to kill someone with their own gun. Anyone doing this should be at the least arrested and given some form of disruption charge. The jobs of thousands are infinitely more important than a dead guy's 'justice'. He got justice, 6 bullets into his body after going on a mini crime spree which almost resulted in a cop's life. Nothing of value was lost.

Thats not even to mention the other rare, but legit scenarios. Women pregnant in their cars, ambulances driving people to hospital that are dying, firefighters trying to get to a house fire, police trying to get to calls, people visiting their dying relatives / friends.

Is the 'justice' of a criminal worth more than even the possibility of one of those things above being impeded, missed or ruined? No, no it fucking isn't. And i'd hate to be the stupid cunt standing shouting JUZTIS FOR MIKE BRUN inbetween a man getting his wife to hospital or whatever.

Fuck people who waste other peoples time.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    That is not how peaceful protest works. Although admittedly they could go try and hinder the politicians, or in this case, the cops and judges more than the average joe. Although, at the same time, why wouldn't they hinder those who aren't supporting them and joining their protest? In a democracy you carry just as much blame and responsibility for injustice happening as the few individuals directy involved.
    Last I checked, in a democracy individuals are responsible for themselves. If my uncle in Maine who I haven't contacted in years decides to punch a hooker in the face it is not my problem or my fault. Even if he were a police officer, hell... even if he were the president.

Anyone laying in the roads to prevent me from going to work is going to get arrested by me personally as a civilian. I will forcibly restrain them and take them off the road to let others pass and hold them there until police got there. If they fought back I would taze them myself in self-defence and be perfectly within legal means the entire time.

An equally qualified black man and white man interview for a job, who do you think gets it? I'll give you a hint, probably not the white man. Hows that for equality?
    "Resumes with White names have a 10.08 percent chance of receiving a callback. Equivalent resumes with African American names have a 6.70 percent chance of being called back. This represents a difference in callback rates of 3.35 percentage points, or 50 percent, that can solely be attributed to the name manipulation."

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873.pdf

Is it ignorance, or money, that is the root of all evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Or in reality : An equally qualified black man and white man apply for a job, who do you think even gets an interview? Not the black man.
    No, not the person named Lakisha or Jamal. One can extrapolate and guess that this is racial bias, but an alternative just-so story that fits the fact just as well is that employers prefer applicants with ordinary names.

Unfortunately our jails are already significantly overcrowded.

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with the police using whatever force necessary to drag the protesters out of the streets.

It's one thing to sit in a store or something. It's quite another to block traffic. That holds up not only us silly normal people, but police and other emergency response personnel. An ambulance getting stuck in traffic could quite literally be the difference between life and death of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    They can care about what they preach not in the middle of the road, not impeeding people who actually have to work or have a job to do. Its my personal opinion anyone purposely blocking the street for protest should be fair game to be run over, but many see that as harsh. Protest from the sidewalk not blocking bisnuesses not blocking traffic or people trying to work. You can have all the freedom you want, but you dont have the freedom to stop me from doing my job or traveling just because you dont like some certain court rulling across the country.

If they have the freedom to block traffic purposely then i should have the freedom to run them over without repercussions since they dont seem to get any from doing this.
    Honestly, between you and davillage I'm not sure who's worse. You suggesting murder as a solution for illegal protests is just as bad as his hyper-sensitive race baiting. Just stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, not the person named Lakisha or Jamal. One can extrapolate and guess that this is racial bias, but an alternative just-so story that fits the fact just as well is that employers prefer applicants with ordinary names.
    Lakisha and Jamal are completely ordinary names within their culture of origin, therefore it's not a matter of "ordinary names". It's "ordinary among white Anglo-Saxons". And that then feeds the original hypothesis.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Lakisha and Jamal are completely ordinary names within their culture of origin, therefore it's not a matter of "ordinary names". It's "ordinary among white Anglo-Saxons". And that then feeds the original hypothesis.
    A better experiment would be to add white caricature names as well (throw in a Chet, for example) and a couple foreign origin names.

Again, the only thing demonstrated by this study was a preference for names. Using that as a heuristic for race might be valid, but it's not at all the same experiment. If you can avoid a certain type of discrimination by simply taking on a different name for professional work, it's not going to be particularly impressive when it comes to discrimination.

Another hypothesis - hiring managers may know that the "equally qualified" black applicant was afforded an opportunity to enter a university that he wasn't actually qualified for by discriminatory hiring practices. For example:
    Another study by the Center for Equal Opportunity, a nonprofit group opposed to racial preferences in college admissions, found that Asian-Americans at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, had median math and reading SAT scores of 1370 out of 1600, compared with 1340 for white students, 1250 for students of Hispanic descent and 1190 for black students.
    For corporations that care about grades (and these do exist), they may be aware of such data. We're talking about a huge gap, with massive discrimination in favor of black students (and against Asian students).

With all these protests in america and see all these hippies and hipsters laying down in streets, in highways, in stores, impeading peoples lifes, traffic, and jobs.

Am i the onlyone who thinks every single person doing this should be booked into jail for at least a month, I have nothing wrong with people protesting but when you fuck over others peoples lives jobs or traffic you should be punished to the maximum of the law. Am i the only one who feels this way?
    The moment people get arrested for peaceful protest is the moment we aren't a free country anymore.

Your understanding of "reality" is pretty reductive. Yes there are instances of prejudice. There are also times when an equally qualified white person doesn't get a job simply because they are white and the company feels pressured to hire someone Brown, sometimes even regardless of competitive qualifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Your understanding of "reality" is pretty reductive. Yes there are instances of prejudice. There are also times when an equally qualified white person doesn't get a job simply because they are white and the company feels pressured to hire someone Brown, sometimes even regardless of competitive qualifications.
    Pressured by who?

With all these protests in america and see all these hippies and hipsters laying down in streets, in highways, in stores, impeading peoples lifes, traffic, and jobs.

Am i the onlyone who thinks every single person doing this should be booked into jail for at least a month, I have nothing wrong with people protesting but when you fuck over others peoples lives jobs or traffic you should be punished to the maximum of the law. Am i the only one who feels this way?
    The chinese government agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Pressured by who?
    By activist groups and how their claims will be presented by the mass media. Companies come under attack all of the time. It leads to a push to hire more brown people, which then leads to instances where a more qualified white person gets turned down because he or she does not increase the number of POC's in the company.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2014-12-11 at 04:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reality of jailing them all is impractical, but they should be made to disperse. What if emergency services are trying to get through, to save someone's life?

Here's a few hypothetical situations to think about:

Ambulance responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, child drowns and cannot be revived.

Fire services responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, family house burns down, family loses everything, lives endangered.

Police responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, home invasion victim is raped and murdered.

All because your sense of self-importance is so fucking outrageous that you think society should be forced to hear what you personally think about anything! Go and fucking protest in a park, or an arcade - call news crews to come down, upload it to YouTube, do whatever the fuck you want without getting in other peoples' way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    The reality of jailing them all is impractical, but they should be made to disperse. What if emergency services are trying to get through, to save someone's life?

Here's a few hypothetical situations to think about:

Ambulance responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, child drowns and cannot be revived.

Fire services responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, family house burns down, family loses everything, lives endangered.

Police responding to a call, cannot get through blockade, home invasion victim is raped and murdered.

All because your sense of self-importance is so fucking outrageous that you think society should be forced to hear what you personally think about anything! Go and fucking protest in a park, or an arcade - call news crews to come down, upload it to YouTube, do whatever the fuck you want without getting in other peoples' way.
    Dispatchers are made aware of protests. Routes are planned accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Dispatchers are made aware of protests. Routes are planned accordingly.
    Yeah, but what if the dispatcher CBA to provide that kind of important information?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do so many people not seem to understand that the 1st amendment doesn't protect you while you're doing something illegal? If you want to have a protest march, you are perfectly welcome to do so after you have an established route and have received the proper permits. Otherwise, you're going to have to keep your protest on the sidewalk and out of other people's way, because you don't have the right to infringe on other people's rights in the expression of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Why do so many people not seem to understand that the 1st amendment doesn't protect you while you're doing something illegal? If you want to have a protest march, you are perfectly welcome to do so after you have an established route and have received the proper permits. Otherwise, you're going to have to keep your protest on the sidewalk and out of other people's way, because you don't have the right to infringe on other people's rights in the expression of your own.
    And yet people on both sides of the aisle have complained that they should be able to protest in the streets. I know some protests that people that follow Alex Jones-like people have done in Washington DC complained they got corralled off into a certain area thinking it was a government scheme to keep them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Your Rights end where my Rights begin.

You have the Right to protest. But you do NOT have the Right to hinder me to use a public street if there is no official reason (such as a closed road for whatever reason) so yeah, a trial would be a quick affair.
    exactly how most civilized adults feel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    actually no i would call the police and have them arrest you for trespassing. have fun in jail.
    if you can't be arrested for being in the middle of the street acting a fool protesting then how could you be arrested for being on a sidewalk?

- - - Updated - - -

You know whats funny? This is all over race issues. The funny part, A BLACK MAN WAS THE FIRST SLAVE OWNER IN AMERICA. Take that in for a second. There were also white slaves, they were called INDENTURED SERVANTS. This stupid shit drives me crazy. Your mother was not a slave, your grandmother was not a slave, your great grandmother WAS NOT A SLAVE. Nor were my family slave owners. Get over it, it did NOT happen to you. And for all of you liberals shouting right to protect, blocking PUBLIC ROADS AND BUSINESSES is not the PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY protected by congress. People do not deserve to lose their jobs while a bunch of idiots cry over the death of a criminal who committed robbery and attempted to kill a cop. If you want to PEACEFULLY protest the murder of Eric Garner, by all means protest. If I lived in NYC I would join you, because that was murder plain and simple. Mike Brown got what he deserved.
    i also believe every black person should be thankful. sure slavery was a bad thing for those that went thru it but every black person alive today born in america benefits from it. there is not one country in africa they would prefer to be born in opposed to america. you can say conditions here for the black are bad but their alternative is WAY worse. is any logical refute to that statement?

We need a logical argument to refute the idea that black people should be grateful for going through 300 years of disenfranchisement and brutal oppression?