Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Am I the one in the wrong here?

So tonight, my guild is doing a heroic alt run in Highmaul and I'm sat here working on a coding project. I ask in /g if I can get an invite on my main once they reach Imperator so I can try and coin some legs that I need. The general response was "no".

They think I'm lying and not actually doing anything, and therefore don't want to "boost" me. I somewhat understand why they think that, although being called a liar isn't nice. Really, I don't want to spend 2 hours in there when I have a project that I should be working on and was hoping just to be able to tag along for 15 minutes just to have a shot at gearing my main. But apparently in order to do that I'm first expected to help their alts kill the prior six bosses.

I don't feel like it was a particularly cheeky request; it's an alt run after all. If anything, I feel like what *they* expect of me in order to get an invite to Imperator is cheeky.

It wouldn't be the first time my skewed vision of reality has actually been incorrect, but this just seems weird. Am I actually wrong to ask this?
    Last edited by mmocc85087d34c; 2015-01-25 at 11:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ehh, kind of a grey zone for me honestly.
    So helpful, I know.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    Arent mains the chars that matter most for raiding guilds?

I dont get the attitude of those people here.

Wait, this depends on one thing to me. Does your main actually raid with them?

If so, I'd say they're in the wrong because they should want to help a raider out. If not, it is a gray spot like said, I can't blame them for saying no, but on the flip note, they should of just stuck it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruge View Post
    So tonight, my guild is doing a heroic alt run in Highmaul and I'm sat here working on a coding project. I ask in /g if I can get an invite on my main once they reach Imperator so I can try and coin some legs that I need. The general response was "no".

They think I'm lying and not actually doing anything, and therefore don't want to "boost" me. I somewhat understand why they think that, although being called a liar isn't nice. Really, I don't want to spend 2 hours in there when I have a project that I should be working on and was hoping just to be able to tag along for 15 minutes just to have a shot at gearing my main. But apparently in order to do that I'm first expected to help their alts kill the prior six bosses.

I don't feel like it was a particularly cheeky request; it's an alt run after all. If anything, I feel like what *they* expect of me in order to get an invite to Imperator is cheeky.

It wouldn't be the first time my skewed vision of reality has actually been incorrect, but this just seems weird. Am I actually wrong to ask this?
    If you can't be there, you can't be there. They don't want to spend 2 hours killing bosses so that you can pop in for 15 minutes to kill Imp. Although it seems like they should want to gear a raider, unless maybe you're not actually a raider. Since you say you want "a shot" at gearing your main, I'm assuming you're not.
    Beta Club Brosquad

You're not wrong to ask, but they're not wrong to deny it either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just my opinion but jumping in at the last boss is pretty cheeky, especially if you expect to be given loot priority as a main over the alts. If you're too busy with studies to raid for the 2 hours required, then you should be focusing on your studies and not trying to scoop up a free Mar'gok kill from the effort of your guildies.

Deleted
    Yeah this is the guild I raid Mythic with on my main. I wasn't asking for loot though, I only said I wanted to try and coin it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lameness on both parts IMO: theirs for automatically assuming LIAR! LIAAAARR! about you (assuming you don't have a history of that) and yours for expecting an invite for the last boss once the bulk of the work has been done by other people. Sorry but that's just as lame of you as their attitudes are of them.

You'll happily set your project aside for a chance to coin a drop *you* need, but you won't do the same to help their run as a whole. You honestly don't see the flaw in that?
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2015-01-24 at 08:15 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    Just my opinion but jumping in at the last boss is pretty cheeky, especially if you expect to be given loot priority as a main over the alts. If you're too busy with studies to raid for the 2 hours required, then you should be focusing on your studies and not trying to scoop up a free Mar'gok kill from the effort of your guildies.
    To be fair, they said specifically so they could try to coin the legs, not take the legs if they drop from others.

Yeah this is the guild I raid Mythic with on my main. I wasn't asking for loot though, I only said I wanted to try and coin it.
    Then I would say they're in the wrong. If you consistently put the effort into Mythic, they should be alright with letting you come in, especially since you most likely outgear the alts anyway, it would just be helpful to them and you. They should want you to get geared for better progression.

Deleted
    this story sounds fischy.... you do a job at nights and want something without any effort served on a silver tablet?....make me wonder why youre so lucky and still in that guild....

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's look at the flipside, they take two hours of effort to get to Imperator, then some dude pops in the last ten minutes and grabs the premium loot.

I'd say it is indeed a grey zone, both parties here have issues with their approach.

Ultimately, I'd say they should have let you in, but I can also understand the idea behind not letting you in. I know that if I'd be in the same situation in my guild, I would be invited in.

Eh, I probably wouldn't ask unless I was actually done working prior to Imperator and just offered help if the raid needed or wanted it going forward. Your request would probably rub a lot of people the wrong way and it just isn't worth the drama to allow you to stroll in for just the last boss. Plus, it potentially opens a huge can of worms...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To be fair, they said specifically so they could try to coin the legs, not take the legs if they drop from others.
    I'm not sure I'd be entirely convinced that if they had dropped from the actual boss too he'd have just quietly let them go to an alt without a word, but lets give the benefit of the doubt then.

Is -everyone- in the raid an alt? Or are other guildies on mains helping the alts through on their mains?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm..
    Tell your fellow raiders to stop being selfish bastards. You not being there on your main for the first 6 bosses doesn't make it any harder for them. You joining for the last boss doesn't make it any harder for them (And might even make Mythic easier, if you get loot). Heroic is a flexible difficulty, it should be treated as such. People should be allowed to come and go as they wish, as it doesn't take away anything from the other people in there. You aren't stealing another person spot (Unless they're already capped at 30 characters), nor their loot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be entirely convinced that if they had dropped from the actual boss too he'd have just quietly let them go to an alt without a word, but lets give the benefit of the doubt then.

Is -everyone- in the raid an alt? Or are other guildies on mains helping the alts through on their mains?
    Last time I went on a heroic alt run (which involved all 7 bosses) the legs I wanted dropped from the boss. I rolled on them, lost the roll and told the guy who won them on his druid alt to keep them despite him offering them to me. Ironically he server transferred his main and all his alts but the point remains that he won them so he kept them. If I say I want to coin them, I'm not going in there to steal them or anything like that.

It seemed to be some mains and some alts from what I saw, maybe 50/50? I can sort of see both sides of it now to be fair, but my thinking was along the lines of, I just want to tag along, coin for the legs, whatever happens happens, no harm done. I didn't feel like they'd be "doing all the work" since they were doing it anyway and I had no intention of taking anything that dropped off the boss's corpse. Maybe I could've explained myself better, I'm not sure.

This is kind-off a greyzone for me, I do see the points of both sides, but by the Alt-run saying no to this, just blocks them off gearing one of their mythic raiders abit more. That seems quite stupid in my mind, but what do I know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I went on a heroic alt run (which involved all 7 bosses) the legs I wanted dropped from the boss. I rolled on them, lost the roll and told the guy who won them on his druid alt to keep them despite him offering them to me. Ironically he server transferred his main and all his alts but the point remains that he won them so he kept them. If I say I want to coin them, I'm not going in there to steal them or anything like that.
    So you did roll on them then. It just happened that you lost the roll.

It seemed to be some mains and some alts from what I saw, maybe 50/50? I can sort of see both sides of it now to be fair, but my thinking was along the lines of, I just want to tag along, coin for the legs, whatever happens happens, no harm done. I didn't feel like they'd be "doing all the work" since they were doing it anyway and I had no intention of taking anything that dropped off the boss's corpse. Maybe I could've explained myself better, I'm not sure.
    So, yeah, basically you have a bunch of mains in there helping some others on their alts to clear through the raid. If it was entirely alts, and you wanted to slip in, that might be different. But seeing how other people are there on their mains, and willing to help clear the full raid and carry the alts through, it's kind of shitty for you to want to jump in just for the last boss.

Like I said in my first post, if you're truly busy with studying, you should be studying. Not waiting to sneak in for the boss... and not on mmo-champion posting and complaining about it You should have bigger priorities. It seems to me like you're not studying that hard that you couldn't take 1-2 hours out of your time to help your fellow guildies, if you care about getting the legs that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    You're not wrong to ask, but they're not wrong to deny it either.
    Without a lot more information regarding the normal activity of the guild we can't say anything other than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    This is kind-off a greyzone for me, I do see the points of both sides, but by the Alt-run saying no to this, just blocks them off gearing one of their mythic raiders abit more. That seems quite stupid in my mind, but what do I know.
    Perhaps some people in the alt-raid aren't Mythic raiders and don't want a tag along potentially deciding to outright request the pants if they drop instead of just trying to coin it. It's amazing how something actually dropping will change agreed upon plans.