Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Generally yes, since wow out ? Not as far I know
    BTW she made important decisions doesn't mean she made 'right' decisions

And by wow i mean in wow, not in books that talk about same time period as wow (like Wolfheart book)
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

She has made plenty of important decisions regardless of if you know about it or not. She accepted HB back,freed Illidan,joined the AA(one of the most important decision),etc. Malfurion mostly made the big decisions in very world breaking scale because he is the most powerful and experienced mortal out there.

Deleted
    In Warcraft 3 or during WoTA? There was many. People already told those things, I will also add new one: while she executed rebelled Watchers (well, they were rebelled - if in theocratic country pope would say that a prisoner must be freed, military generals should listen, they didn't - so they have been executed, that was just a political games) - she also decided to alleviate the political conflict between main faction (Sentinels) and faction of Watchers, so she decided to help Maiev. So, it was her decision. It lead to failing Illidan's spell (and LK maybe would be finally dead) but thanks to her, Blood Elves survived.

I think we shouldn't say "in this relationship only Malfurion/Tyrande decides", because it works in different way. Both are leaders, they are something like marriage of popes (both are political, but also religious leaders) from the same religion, but they are priests of different gods (something kind of like High Priest of Amon would marry High Priestess of Isis. the same religion, but they act in different ways and have a little different philosophy. Plus Tyrande is also a military leader (a kind of highlord of military order, like Templars of Teutonic Knights), while Malfurion is rather a typical diplomat priest (like pope). And both are making very important decisions about their people, their lands, and even fate of the world. Bah, they also oftenly makes different decisions, but, as we can see, their relationship is working. Through 10,000 years. I think they just try to don't interfere their business. If Tyrande will do something Malfurion disaproves or vice versa, they will reconcile again, next time. In bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Tyrande brought the Highborne back though

Archmage Mordent Evenshade says: Sentinel, I would speak with your High Priestess.
    Sentinel Stillbough says: You must wait for an audience.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Mordent_Evenshade

And on the immortality it was never natural for night elves to be immortal, first they were immortal due to the well of eternity and after its destruction they got it through Nozdormus blessing. They still live for thousands of years to come up with something, but rushing headlong into problems, because they can't wait a few hundred years to find a proper way to reclaim it is quite stupid. They still have plenty of time.
    Ok, you're right, Tyrande accepted them back yet it was Malfurion who let them practice their arcane magic in the woods. This is stated in Wolfheart, it's also a reason why Maiev hated him most.

And I disagree with you on the immortality part, because, before the night elves were immortal, they were trolls. It was only after trolls got to the Well of Eternity that Elune morphed them into night elves and they became immortal. So a defining aspect of being a night elf was being immortal.
    I do not understand the second point though, the night elves though... if you wait too much, your whole race can go extinct, your lands can be conquered. They prepared for the arrival of the Legion again for thousands of years because they knew that if they opened a portal and invaded the Legion homeworld, they'd lose. And they attacked swiftly at the orcs when they appeared because Cenarius sensed fel infestation in them (because they had drank demon blood years ago when they came to Azeroth) and thought they were Legion scouts and could not afford the Legion to know anything about the night elves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane-Villain View Post
    they will reconcile again, next time. In bed.
    I don't think they reconcile that much in bed for... they have no children of their own. Either that or Malfurion is infertile after his spirit had been away from his body for thousands of years at a time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    And I disagree with you on the immortality part, because, before the night elves were immortal, they were trolls. It was only after trolls got to the Well of Eternity that Elune morphed them into night elves and they became immortal. So a defining aspect of being a night elf was being immortal.
    Elune's involvement is just NElf mythology (she's not even the only full god in it). It's directly stated the cosmic power of the Well is what changed the NElves and made them immortal.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    In time, a primitive tribe of nocturnal humanoids were drawn by the Well's strange energies and built crude homes upon its tranquil shores. Over time, the Well's cosmic power affected the tribe, making them strong, wise, and immortal. Their skin turned various shades of violet, and they grew taller in stature. The tribe adopted the name kaldorei, which meant "children of the stars" in their native tongue. (WC Encyclopedia)

She woke up Furion, and that's pretty much it. She also raised Shandris who despite only appearing as a questgiver in WoW, does more than Tyrande...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    Released Illidan who, subsequently, saved Ashenvale/Felwood from further demonic corruption.
    You can't possibly think this means something. He happened to beat Tichondrius, but it didn't mean anything. Same thing would've happened even if Illidan was locked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

If Illidan was locked up there would be no one to defeat Tichondrius. Illidan only knew he was there because of the fight with Arthas, he was told where to go to gain power and fight Tichundrius.

About the immortality. This is where Malfurion fails the most. As a leader you need to do what is best for your people. And no matter what universe you're in being an unaging immortal living forever is ALWAYS best. The fact he didn't ask/refused immortality means he just condemned his own people to die once more. For no reason apart from "Nature wills it.". Well sorry life of one sentient being > all of nature. So while Malfurion was condemning his people, he gets praise. But while Fandral does everything to protect his people he is put in villain of the patch position. Sorry secondary villain of the patch behind Ragnaros.

Then his banishment of the one other person who bent over backwards the most to save his people. (illidan) Worse still stopped him from destroying the LK which would overall been better for all life on Azeroth outside a few Vrykul who lived in the Icecrown region.

Did nothing for the night elves when the horde attacked ashenvale. Instead his decision lead to more siding with fire druids.

What Tyrande had done.

Allowed the highborne to return. Good needed decision since the lack of immortality + cataclysm + Garrosh issues they needed a force build up
    Released Illidan. Good needed one. He was the one person who knew what the legion was like more than anyone in the night elf community.
    Joined the alliance.. Eh good for the most part right until
    Recognizing Varian as high king... BAD! She's a 12k-14k year old leader who has lead her people almost as long as the Human race has existed. She essentially bowed to a person who essentially will never leave childhood in Night elf standards and would never have even 1% of knowledge, experience, wisdom or thought power of your lowest ranking Night Elf. Simple because the lowerst ranking night elf in the military is already a century or two old. If the alliance needed one out and out leader it should have been her or Velen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    About the immortality. This is where Malfurion fails the most. As a leader you need to do what is best for your people. And no matter what universe you're in being an unaging immortal living forever is ALWAYS best. The fact he didn't ask/refused immortality means he just condemned his own people to die once more. For no reason apart from "Nature wills it.". Well sorry life of one sentient being > all of nature. So while Malfurion was condemning his people, he gets praise. But while Fandral does everything to protect his people he is put in villain of the patch position. Sorry secondary villain of the patch behind Ragnaros.
    After the Well's destruction, immortality was granted by Nozdormu blessing Nordrassil. He never showed up for Teldrassil. Malf didn't refuse or fail to ask for immortality. It was never offered or even an option.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-02-28 at 06:42 PM.

Ok, you're right, Tyrande accepted them back yet it was Malfurion who let them practice their arcane magic in the woods. This is stated in Wolfheart, it's also a reason why Maiev hated him most.
    Using magic was part of the deal for their return with Tyrande, it is just regulated and Malf simply doesn't like it, which is why he wants them in the middle of nowhere and Maiev hates both of them, though I believe Tyrande was still on top of her list, with Malf being second.

I do not understand the second point though, the night elves though... if you wait too much, your whole race can go extinct, your lands can be conquered. They prepared for the arrival of the Legion again for thousands of years because they knew that if they opened a portal and invaded the Legion homeworld, they'd lose. And they attacked swiftly at the orcs when they appeared because Cenarius sensed fel infestation in them (because they had drank demon blood years ago when they came to Azeroth) and thought they were Legion scouts and could not afford the Legion to know anything about the night elves.

Night elves are naturally not immortal, it might have been a defining aspect of them, since the beginning but it simply isn't their natural state, just as blood elves are incredibly talented dealing with the arcane does not mean they can't live without it, though they truly depend on it, hence the addiction, but could abandon it. Night elves nowadays merely die after thousands of years and catch diseases, they still have millennia to find a new source for immortality, they are far from desperation, which makes their rash decisions concerning it quite strange.

After the Well's destruction, immortality was granted by Nozdormu blessing Nordrassil. He never showed up for Teldrassil. Malf didn't refuse or fail to ask for immortality. It was never offered or even an option.
    Well must have read that wrong *scratches it off the list* my bad on that one.

Night elves nowadays merely die after thousands of years and catch diseases, they still have millennia to find a new source for immortality, they are far from desperation, which makes their rash decisions concerning it quite strange.
    Considering a disease can strike at any time I think going all out on day one is the most logical. Save everyone is better than saving majority or some.
    Last edited by Kallisto; 2015-02-28 at 07:23 PM.

Considering a disease can strike at any time I think going all out on day one is the most logical. Save everyone is better than saving majority or some.
    Again they are not desperate, there is no reason to not carefully consider their actions and the possible consequences. The high elves thrived despite their mortality for thousands of years, the night elves can easily do the same, while looking for a solution.

Deleted
    She liked it so she put a ring on it.

Despite marriage not being a thing in night elf society.

While loved ones die around them due to diseases. Or some of the more older ones starting to lose their prime bodies. Yes they could take thousands of years to find immortality again but how many will have to die for it. For a race that was immortal. 1 is too many.

10+ Year Old Account
    While loved ones die around them due to diseases. Or some of the more older ones starting to lose their prime bodies. Yes they could take thousands of years to find immortality again but how many will have to die for it. For a race that was immortal. 1 is too many.
    They are immune to disease again since Alexstrasza blessed Teldrassil.

If many die in a reckless pursuit to obtain immortality, even though it is utterly unclear if the desired results will take effect, makes it somehow better than properly planning the entire thing through from start to finish?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    They are immune to disease again since Alexstrasza blessed Teldrassil.
    Shalasyr died after the blessing due to an illness though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shalasyr died after the blessing due to an illness though.
    Wasn't that more due to old age? Keep in mind that illness isn't really the same thing as a disease. She and Jarod had been suffering generic aches and pains.
    Night elves were used to death in battle or by accident. What they were not used to was the loss of a life due to infirmity tied to aging. Tyrande had spoken with Jarod and through him learned the extent of Shalasyr’s troubles.
    The illness had not been the only trouble, only the final straw. Jarod and his mate had been suffering from a number of minor but increasingly consistent aches and pains that sounded all too familiar to Malfurion, whose shoulder suffered twinges even now.

--Wolfheart

Or maybe Teldrassil has a limited range due to not being plugged into the Well.

It does bring up a dilemma. How does something blessed with good health die of old age? Never falling to poor health should be pretty much the same as biologically immortal.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2015-02-28 at 09:33 PM.

Not in World of Warcraft.

She was a better character in WC3 and made a few pretty impactful decisions including freeing Illy.

Of course she has done important decisions!

She married Malfurion.

Deleted
    Using magic was part of the deal for their return with Tyrande, it is just regulated and Malf simply doesn't like it, which is why he wants them in the middle of nowhere and Maiev hates both of them, though I believe Tyrande was still on top of her list, with Malf being second.
    Well she hated Tyrande for releasing Illidan, though, at least in the book, she seemed to only despise Malfurion for the Highbourne. So I don't know what to think.

Night elves are naturally not immortal, it might have been a defining aspect of them, since the beginning but it simply isn't their natural state, just as blood elves are incredibly talented dealing with the arcane does not mean they can't live without it, though they truly depend on it, hence the addiction, but could abandon it. Night elves nowadays merely die after thousands of years and catch diseases, they still have millennia to find a new source for immortality, they are far from desperation, which makes their rash decisions concerning it quite strange.
    I disagree. During the blood elf campaign in WC3:TFT, Vashj explains to Kael'thas that his people had become addicted to magic enough that withdrawal would result in them becoming twisted and dieing. Illidan later said there is no cure to the blood elf condition.
    So, without magic, blood elves would turn into wretched or die at some point, when their mind could no longer control their body's hunger for magic. This is why they went on to suck fel magic and magic out of living beings. They knew that otherwise they'd die or turn into wreched.
    In fact, during:
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Testing_the_Tonic
    we find out that some blood elves were looking for a cure, yet, as the magister states the potion was not meant to hasten her turning into a wreched. This means she and every blood elf were already doing that, just slow.

As for night elves, I don't know what rash decisions. The only decision I know was to plant Teldrassil. Since the Archdruid Fandral assured everyone it was a good move and the other world tree had already supplied them with immortality, resistance to disease etc, why would the night elves not want it? Nobody knew it was corrupted, not even Malfurion, he simply didn't want it planted because he thought immortality had made night elves arrogant and out of touch with the world.
    Plus, planting the new tree might seem like a rash decision to you, now think in night elf terms (I don't know of all the diseases in Azeroth, so let's use real life examples). A few get a cold, sure, it's not that bad, someone dies due to a heart attack - this is kind of bad, some get some stomach ackes, a few vomit blood, some dies... OH NO, does that mean all who get stomach ackes are going to die?! Nobody knows, night elves never dealt with this. Infected bladder, phneumonia, etc. Jarod Shadowsong brought his mate coughing blood to Tyrande as she was dieing (and she did).
    Now imagine being a commoner and everything is fine then suddenly people start getting sick, they cough blood, can't move, die... it would seem like the apocalypse to you!

- - - Updated - - -

Again they are not desperate, there is no reason to not carefully consider their actions and the possible consequences. The high elves thrived despite their mortality for thousands of years, the night elves can easily do the same, while looking for a solution.
    They thrived so great that as soon as they re-started their society, they made a new well of power as they wanted their power and immortality back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree. During the blood elf campaign in WC3:TFT, Vashj explains to Kael'thas that his people had become addicted to magic enough that withdrawal would result in them becoming twisted and dieing. Illidan later said there is no cure to the blood elf condition.
    So, without magic, blood elves would turn into wretched or die at some point, when their mind could no longer control their body's hunger for magic. This is why they went on to suck fel magic and magic out of living beings. They knew that otherwise they'd die or turn into wreched.
    In fact, during:
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Testing_the_Tonic
    we find out that some blood elves were looking for a cure, yet, as the magister states the potion was not meant to hasten her turning into a wreched. This means she and every blood elf were already doing that, just slow.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    On several occasions after the Sunwell's defilement, Kael'thas publicly asserted that his people would die unless they found a new source of magic. There can be no doubt that withdrawal from prolonged exposure to arcane magic is a very unpleasant process: to this day it is not impossible that a high elf might choose to give in to the addiction and become one of the blood elves. Technically, though, the prince was mistaken. According to the top priests and medics on Azeroth, the only high elves who perished due to the Sunwell's loss were the very old, the very young, and elves who were already in poor health.

This is not to say, however, that withdrawal from magic would leave the blood elves unharmed. On the contrary, permanent mental or physical damage is possible. (WC Encyclopedia)

Also, they don't turn into wretched from withdrawal. Wretched are what happens when they consume too much, to the point of deformity.