Invasive Species!

I think we should find a permanent way to control invasive species, of course to understand how to control invasive species, we must know what invasive species are and what separates them from an introduced species . An introduced species may not automatically be an invasive species, for example the mustangs of North America are not invasive, they actually assist the environment by feeding on flammable grass and migrating from waterhole to waterhole which prevents water from being dried up. The only reason why they are considered "invasive" is because they compete with invasive cattle that overgraze and drink up waterholes.

Banteng in Australia are not considered an invasive species in the right that it doesn't negatively affect the ecosystem, but rather has adapted to living in it. Studies have shown that mutual relationships have developed involving the removal of ectoparasites residing on the bovid body by the Torresian crow. It is possible that grazing by banteng minimises potential dry grass build-up, thus limiting encroachment of seasonal fires (and hence post-fire grassland) into monsoonal forest areas and that this may be assisting the spread and germination of monsoonal forest seeds. However this possibility was not firmly concluded by the study.

Likewise, a few populations of feral landrace cattle and horses in mainland Europe aren't generally considered invasive, because they replace the extinct aurochs and tarpan in their ecological roles. However, with invasive species, we need to find a way to control them. One idea is to introduce their native predator to hunt them, because animals hunting other animals is cheaper than regularly culling through shooting and poisoning them.

Another idea, is neutering/spaying individuals and letting them go free. This is how we completely eradicated nutria from Maryland and it appears to be a working technique. Because when you remove completion from other individuals, it just leaves more space to thrive and reproduce.

Parasites come in then breed at faster rates than native species. Prevention is key.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2015-03-08 at 08:55 PM.

To me the problem is its too easy for introduced to become invasive and by the time we realize it's destructive it has a heck of a foot hold, starlings, fire ants, mongoose, pythons, brown tree snake, lionfish, cane toad, snake heads, oscars, etc, some accidentally introduced, some intentionally, all ended up being destructive. We need to learn within our environment as it is instead of trying to dramatically change it.

Quote Originally Posted by phayde View Post
    To me the problem is its too easy for introduced to become invasive and by the time we realize it's destructive it has a heck of a foot hold, starlings, fire ants, mongoose, pythons, brown tree snake, lionfish, cane toad, snake heads, oscars, etc, some accidentally introduced, some intentionally, all ended up being destructive. We need to learn within our environment as it is instead of trying to dramatically change it.
    Or there's another idea that I didn't mention and would probably get the most negative feedback. Breeding animals to specialize in hunting those invasive species, a strand of dingo bred larger to hunt horses, donkeys, water buffalo and boar.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Or there's another idea that I didn't mention and would probably get the most negative feedback. Breeding animals to specialize in hunting those invasive species, a strand of dingo bred larger to hunt horses, donkeys, water buffalo and boar.
    Which leads to them doing their job too well and then going after other species. Mongoose and cane toads are examples. Mongoose were introduced to parts of the Caribbean and Hawaii to control rats brought accidentally by ships, except the Mongoose also went after native animals, Hawaiis honey creeper population was wiped out or is nearly gone because the mongoose also started feeding on them. Australia is fighting a losing battle with the cane toad after it was introduced to control pests, but it's now eating everything it can, is toxic to native wildlife that tries to eat it, and they've been shown to be evolving longer legs to cover more distance. We had them in South Florida, they would even eat dry cat food if it's left out.

7+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea if we get to consider humans invasive species. :P

Deleted
    Is invasive species some code word for immigrant?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
    Is invasive species some code word for immigrant?
    No, because immigrants are humans, so for a immigrant to be considered an invasive species, the whole entire population of existing humans in that area would have to be as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I like this idea if we get to consider humans invasive species. :P
    I'd consider us an invasive species, we seem to want to manage population levels of every species "for their own good", except our own. Agent Smith said it best "I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet."