Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movie] Fantastic four.. black human torch?

Before anyone calls racist on me that isn't what this is, its the fact that I'm addressing the elephant in the room on what makes no bloody sense from a story and character standpoint.

Just to make it clear, I have no issue with characters who even if they have been established as one skin/race color for years, in a movie format is a different one. Despite how shitty it was, I actually liked Michael Clark Duncan (rest in peace) as the kingpin in daredevil. I also like Samuel L as Nick Fury, because he's an awesome actor, and it seemed to be going along with the ultimate marvel titles as why they choose him.

However, this one, i can't get past the fact, and really it doesn't matter how good of an actor he is, having Michael B. Jordan playing the human torch in the up coming fantastic 4 movie, its hard to look past the fact that the character he is playing, is meant to be the brother of Sue Storm, the invisible woman, played by Kate Mara, who is white.

I honestly find this pretty f**king insulting. If marvel really wanted to push changing a characters race in their movieverse, to go along with the changing times of progressive culture, why the hell didn't they make Mr Fantastic or Ben Grimm black? That might have worked, but knowing the fact the two characters are meant to be brother and sister, it just screams ridiculous casting decisions.

Even if Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, it doesn't matter since the character he's meant to be siblings with is whiter then white. If they wanted to do this, why didn't they also look for a black actress to play the invisible woman?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe his skin has just darkened from being on fire so much?

I don't even read comics, that's just the first thing that came to mind

Deleted
    Sue is adopted in this movie. I agree it would have been nice if they'd cast both Sue and Johnny as black, but so long as the adoption plot point doesn't take up loads of screen time, I don't mind. And Jordan is one of the Director's favourite actors. They've worked together before. So the casting is pretty raceblind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Maybe his skin has just darkened from being on fire so much?

I don't even read comics, that's just the first thing that came to mind
    Same here. Maybe he's a bit burnt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there anything important about them being brother and sister? Does it do anything for the story? If not then why would it matter?

We have to make one of them black because race doesn't matter. kek

In the movie industry, there are no rules. Enjoy the show. I will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Is there anything important about them being brother and sister? Does it do anything for the story? If not then why would it matter?
    You mean aside from the fact IMDB shows the actors as the characters Sue and Johnny Storm, and that something doesn't come together there?

"I'm johnny the human torch, and this is my sister Susan, the invisible woman, we're brother and sister, we have the same parents.. honest!"
    "Riiiiiight.."

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Because people tend to not like it when some of their favorite stories are screwed around with.

And I would imagine something as being siblings would be rather important.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Before anyone calls racist on me that isn't what this is, its the fact that I'm addressing the elephant in the room on what makes no bloody sense from a story and character standpoint.

Just to make it clear, I have no issue with characters who even if they have been established as one skin/race color for years, in a movie format is a different one. Despite how shitty it was, I actually liked Michael Clark Duncan (rest in peace) as the kingpin in daredevil. I also like Samuel L as Nick Fury, because he's an awesome actor, and it seemed to be going along with the ultimate marvel titles as why they choose him.

However, this one, i can't get past the fact, and really it doesn't matter how good of an actor he is, having Michael B. Jordan playing the human torch in the up coming fantastic 4 movie, its hard to look past the fact that the character he is playing, is meant to be the brother of Sue Storm, the invisible woman, played by Kate Mara, who is white.

I honestly find this pretty f**king insulting. If marvel really wanted to push changing a characters race in their movieverse, to go along with the changing times of progressive culture, why the hell didn't they make Mr Fantastic or Ben Grimm black? That might have worked, but knowing the fact the two characters are meant to be brother and sister, it just screams ridiculous casting decisions.

Even if Michael B. Jordan is a good actor, it doesn't matter since the character he's meant to be siblings with is whiter then white. If they wanted to do this, why didn't they also look for a black actress to play the invisible woman?
    You've never heard of adoption? Just because one is white and the other is black...it doesn't mean they can't still have that brother/sister bond.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean aside from the fact IMDB shows the actors as the characters Sue and Johnny Storm, and that something doesn't come together there?

"I'm johnny the human torch, and this is my sister Susan, the invisible woman, we're brother and sister, we have the same parents.. honest!"
    "Riiiiiight.."
    Yea because adoption is such an unbelievable thing to fathom.

I meant plot wise. Like Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Sue is adopted in this movie. I agree it would have been nice if they'd cast both Sue and Johnny as black, but so long as the adoption plot point doesn't take up loads of screen time, I don't mind. And Jordan is one of the Director's favourite actors. They've worked together before. So the casting is pretty raceblind.
    Is that the plot reveal? I mean thats really the only way they could get away with it, but it also means Sue isn't Johnnys blood sister in this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dole4011 View Post
    We have to make one of them black because race doesn't matter. kek
    This pretty much sounds like the agenda you are pushing..

guys im not racist but "i find this pretty ^%^#$^$ insulting"

Deleted
    Is that the plot reveal? I mean thats really the only way they could get away with it, but it also means Sue isn't Johnnys blood sister in this.
    Yes it was confirmed a long time ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only issues I have with the new movie is...the actors are too young. Or they have a really young look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    The only issues I have with the new movie is...the actors are too young. Or they have a really young look.
    That's the whole point of the reboot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assumed either they're no longer siblings or one of them is adopted. I'm all for these changes. Comic book fans are a diverse group and the characters should reflect that. I'm looking forward to the reboot. Good cast and I like the tone of the trailers.

Deleted
    for some reason, all I can think about is MK "Toasty!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    They are basing this movie , in part, on the Ultimate Universe version of the characters. That's why they are younger.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.