Poll: Should we mine the moon?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

So lets whinge about moon mining: Milky Way Galaxy edition.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/c...k_from_rspace/

http://i.imgur.com/51VsJTc.jpg

So it's inevitable that if we're going to ever get out of earth we'd need some incentive besides for the sake of it if it's to be sustained and moon mining definitely seems to be the way to go, especially if we can get metals that aren't even on earth and rare earth (moon?) metals from places not China. Unfortunately, however, I can only see environmentalists cockblocking us from our destiny even if we maintained decent standards.

To not mine the moon would be folly, to not exploit it's treasures when there's nothing that could be harmed in the process as opposed to clearing forests and driving out wildlife on our own planet would seem ultimately selfish.

What do you figure in all of this? Should we strike the moon and uncover their secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Should we strike the moon?
    Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I don't really see how enviromentalists would be upset because of moon mining... unless you're really digging deep and try to use the worst kind of internet heroes as the model for enviromentalists as a whole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

I don't really see how enviromentalists would be upset because of moon mining... unless you're really digging deep and try to use the worst kind of internet heroes as the model for enviromentalists as a whole.
    Enviromentalism is just one of the things I could see cropping up because I have very little doubt that this won't go without a hitch of some description. Someone, somewhere will be triggered by moon mining and will have influence to some degree.

as a proud sontaran once said. I DECLARE WAR ON THE MOON!!!
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    as a proud sontaran once said. I DECLARE WAR ON THE MOON!!!
    I know it was joking, but I feel there'll eventually be conflict over ownership of the moon even though technically nobody can own it nobody can say no if one guy has all the guns.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If it's got stuff we need, why not? It's basically just an asteroid.

I mean, let's not mine it so much that it alters it's affect on the Earth. But yeah, mine it and get some bases/colonies up there asap. From Moon to Mars.

Deleted
    Dead planets that can not be terraformed, aka like our moon, should be stripmined, hell that would save the environments on earth so the enviromentalists should be all for it

7+ Year Old Account
    It's humanity's future, to mine the moon. We'll either consume our solar system or reach singularity. My money is on singularity though, as it solves why we've not came into contact with advanced alien life forms yet, though I don't personally like it as a solution to mortality.

Honestly the only reason I'm against it is because the moon is my favorite object in the night sky and I would like it to remain as pristine as possible. I literally don't have a good argument other than "Fuck off, I like guns the moon!"

Besides, we're going to be stuck in ownership hell for a while, and we have to craft laws, regulations and international agreements on how we're going to handle a whole host of economic and territorial space issues. Which will take a while, because we can't agree on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Which will take a while, because we can't agree on anything.
    I disagree, there are some things we can agree on. Oh...

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    Dead planets that can not be terraformed, aka like our moon, should be stripmined, hell that would save the environments on earth so the enviromentalists should be all for it
    Fucking with the moon could be dangerous for Humanity itself. It's a pretty small celestial body which just hangs up there by nothing. Anything that would tamper with it at large scale could knock it off it's position and either send it towards Earth itself which will mean end of life on the planet and sure as hell end of Humanity, or on course that moves it away from the planet, which will cause large tidal waves that will swallow whole cities (which would mostly be the USA and UK territory - so mainly the ones who would be responsible).

I would outlaw any lunar mining operations or tampering with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hear it has cheese. Start mining for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    We still don't have economical means of transporting the material. No one wants to take upon the risk while we can still get the materials on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Elodia View Post
    Fucking with the moon could be dangerous for Humanity itself. It's a pretty small celestial body which just hangs up there by nothing. Anything that would tamper with it at large scale could knock it off it's position and either send it towards Earth itself which will mean end of life on the planet and sure as hell end of Humanity, or on course that moves it away from the planet, which will cause large tidal waves that will swallow whole cities (which would mostly be the USA and UK territory - so mainly the ones who would be responsible).

I'm pretty sure this is an unfounded fear. The moon is on the order of 10^22 kg, how would we possibly knock it out of its orbit?
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather them strip clean a barren lifeless rock in the sky, instead of Earth.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure this is an unfounded fear. The moon is on the order of 10^22 kg, how would we possibly knock it out of its orbit?
    I think he's been playing a little too much Majora's Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Elodia View Post

The thing is moving away from us at about 4 centimeters per year. WE HAVE TO GET UP THERE AND STOP IT FROM RUNNING AWAY.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The thing is moving away from us at about 4 centimeters per year. WE HAVE TO GET UP THERE AND STOP IT FROM RUNNING AWAY.
    Too much work. Just attach rockets to Earth and catch up to it.

Too much work. Just attach rockets to Earth and catch up to it.
    We'll have to drop an anchor to the Sun first.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    You win the thread. That was hilarious. But in all reality, we shouldn't go to the moon unless it's night time as god has perfectly placed earth in the best position. Any closer and we would burst into flames, any further out and we would be an ice ball. I have confidence that NASA knows how to do this as the other 36 times they went to the moon it was night time. How do I know? Duh in the pics and video, the sky was black. That means it's night time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

As long as it is utilized by highly capitalistic motivations, it will not serve to humanity. So humanity's future my ass.