need some feed back for a computer for my son

hello im thinking of building a computer for my son for hes brithday he really likes watching video games on twtich and i can hear him from time to time say how he wish hes computer could run a capture card so he can stream hes ps3/wii u on twtich and mybe a few of hes pc games and hes brithday is comeing up so i was thinking of building him a computer has a brithday gift so he can do it. i been looking around for people computer builds and i found some really nice ones but i dont know what im doing when it comes to picking out parts. the games hes playing on hes pc right now is csgo,world of warcaft,steet fighter 4. i found to computer builds to pick out from but im not sure which is better one is a intel build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k33rqs and the other is a amd http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TKYN7P

thank you to anyone who looks at this for your help

10+ Year Old Account
    That Pentium is actually a beast for its price. Unless you're in a hurry you can usually find that CPU+Motherboard for about $80 with a newegg promo.

I've built 3 systems around that pentium and a 750(non ti). One plays SC2, WoW, Tera at medium to high settings with no issues at 1080p. I also use the same powersupply in 2 of those systems.

I would personally suggest getting a cheap 120gb SSD at the least in addition of the HDD. There is little reason to pick that AMD over the intel.

ok so the intel one will work out better for him for the games he wants to play and the twtich capture card thing that he wants to do im not really in a hurry i just want to make sure im getting the right stuff so when i order everything and build it he can get right in to doing the stuff he wants to do. what would the 120gb ssd befor a other har drive?

10+ Year Old Account
    For just simple recording the system will be fine. It is the bandwidth that is the major concern, ideally you want at least a 30Mbit connection.

Ideally you want to get the SSD first, simply because you want your OS and primary software on it. You'll have about 70-80GB's of free space after installation. I'm not sure your budget, it seems small. Right now I think 250ish range SSD's give a far better gig per dollar than the 120s without breaking bank. Adding extra storage is always eating, switching from an HDD to an SSD down the road is an annoyance.

SSD's are hands down the most noticeable upgrade a computer can receive if it is using an HDD. It doesn't help with performance per say but its very noticeable with load times and boots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-945-_-Product or http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100-...=Crucial+BX100

10+ Year Old Account
    I have that Intel CPU and a MSI GTX 750ti both overclocked with the bundled software. Very good for the money, simple to OC and offer very good performance for the games you mentioned.

All the other parts look good and you will need that 1TB HDD for recording, but I suggest getting an SSD for Windows and the games your son plays. Try to get a 120GB or larger SSD as well as your picked items. I have http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o03_s00.

An SSD would be a nice addition to your build and are pretty cheap at the moment.

Deleted
    So what is the budget for this? I would prefer a low end Z97 mobo over the old H81 ones. 500W psu is too much for this setup when it will draw like 200w with everything at full load.
    Ssd's do not belong on low budget setups, they are a luxury for this. Considering close to 100bucks for it you are potentially loosing performance from the build. If you were to pay 100bucks for one then why not get a i3 or a lower i5 or a better gpu....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.98 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.67 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($120.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $448.59
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-29 02:19 EDT-0400

Note: Psu comes without power cord, a protect the environment kinda thing.

so this build you made is better then the ones i linked? and what is a psu

Quote Originally Posted by ryushura View Post
    Power Supply Unit.

I would prefer a pentium + ssd rather than a i3. You can buy a 120gb ssd for lower than 100$, the decrease in loading times (gaming/booting) will help more than the hyperthreading feature.
    But that ofc depends on the kind of games op's son is thinking of playing.

Deleted
    - As said from poster above is the power supply. The build is indeed better. Mobo has all the new tec that h81 doesn't. The mobo you selected can not support more than 1600Mhz ram. So that ram won't work on it well.
    - Also the ram is high profile, which means if you later on add a good aftermarket air cooler you will have clearance problems. Two sticks of ram is preferable to enable dual channel instead of one.
    - The G3258 is popular for gaming cause it overclocks very very good and easily (for high overclocks you would need a decent aftermarket cooler). You can achieve speeds of a stock i5 and higher.
    - Since you didn't mention a budget i assumed you want something cheap-ish for your son, just enough to play his games. That usually doesn't include an ssd, thus why i chose the WD hdd instead of seagate, they are more reliable. The WD black is even better but is more expensive and probably not worth the price.
    - Case is the one i go for, in almost all low budget micro builds. Has good room for a decent amount of storage drives, fits big gpus and generally is of good quality for its low price.
    - Gpu, i don't really like the itx ones. That means the really small ones with 1 fan solution for small itx builds (thus my cheaper 2 fan solution). They usually run hot and make alot more noise since the fan works full time to dissipate the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Power Supply Unit.
    I would prefer a pentium + ssd rather than a i3. You can buy a 120gb ssd for lower than 100$, the decrease in loading times (gaming/booting) will help more than the hyperthreading feature.
    But that ofc depends on the kind of games op's son is thinking of playing.
    How do you even compare one with the other? Yes an ssd is awesome, makes the rig more responsive and everything loads faster. But when you do load the game after that you don't gain something to notice the difference.

Hyperthreading from the other hand will let you open that chrome tab while gaming and having say music and teamspeak up. An i3, the usual 4160, costs around 40bucks more not 60-70 as a good 120gb ssd.

Again if there was 100bucks more i would get a 4160 and see if there is good deal for R9 270 instead of the gtx750ti.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-05-29 at 11:25 AM. Reason: fixed typos

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    - As said from poster above is the power supply. The build is indeed better. Mobo has all the new tec that h81 doesn't. The mobo you selected can not support more than 1600Mhz ram. So that ram won't work on it well.
    - Also the ram is high profile, which means if you later on add a good aftermarket air cooler you will have clearance problems. Two sticks of ram is preferable to enable dual channel instead of one.
    - The G3258 is popular for gaming cause it overclocks very very good and easily (for high overclocks you would need a decent aftermarket cooler). You can achieve speeds of a stock i5 and higher.
    - Since you didn't mention a budget i assumed you want something cheap-ish for your son, just enough to play his games. That usually doesn't include an ssd, thus why i chose the WD hdd instead of seagate, they are more reliable. The WD black is even better but is more expensive and probably not worth the price.
    - Case is the one i go for, in almost all low budget micro builds. Has good room for a decent amount of storage drives, fits big gpus and generally is of good quality for its low price.
    - Gpu, i don't really like the itx ones. That means the really small ones with 1 fan solution for small itx builds (thus my cheaper 2 fan solution). They usually run hot and make alot more noise since the fan works full time to dissipate the heat.

How do you even compare one with the other? Yes an ssd is awesome, makes the rig more responsive and everything loads faster. But when you do load the game after that you don't gain something to notice the difference.

Hyperthreading from the other hand will let you open that chrome tab while gaming and having say music and teamspeak up. An i3, the usual 4160, costs around 40bucks more not 60-70 as a good 120gb ssd.

Again if there was 100bucks more i would get a 4160 and see if there is good deal for R9 270 instead of the gtx750ti.
    Personal experience of having my own g3258. firefox with 100 tabs + wow + ts + skype + obs streaming and it doesnt slow down. You're underestimating the OC power of the pentium + an ssd.
    And like I said, it depends on the kind of games op's son is going to play. If he's thinking on newer games sure, the i3 will be more future proof, but even then an pentium can manage to play almost everything.
    Also, op didn't say at what kind of resolutions his son will be playing. I game on a 19'' monitor, so my pentium is more than enough for me, but if op is thinking on a 32'' tv/monitor kind of stuff...

10+ Year Old Account

There is almost no reason whatsoever to get an i3 over the Pentium right now. Even without overclocking it the Pentium is still better bang for buck. Also the power consumption of the 270 is vastly higher than the 750, the performance difference won't be noticed. The 380 antec earthwatts is a good PSU but I wouldn't use a 270 on it.

An SSD would help load times tremendously in any game that loads content from the drive. His son plays SF4, I assume every new match requires a load from the HDD.

Also let me reiterate if money is an issue, wait for a CPU/Motherboard combo. They usually pair the pentium with a z87 board for under $100. If money isn't an issue then get an i5.
    Last edited by Aori; 2015-05-29 at 12:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    There is almost no reason whatsoever to get an i3 over the Pentium right now. Even without overclocking it the Pentium is still better bang for buck. Also the power consumption of the 270 is vastly higher than the 750, the performance difference won't be noticed. The 380 antec earthwatts is a good PSU but I wouldn't use a 270 on it.

An SSD would help load times tremendously in any game that loads content from the drive. His son plays SF4, I assume every new match requires a load from the HDD.

Also let me reiterate if money is an issue, wait for a CPU/Motherboard combo. They usually pair the pentium with a z87 board for under $100. If money isn't an issue then get an i5.
    Erm no. 270 is alot better, gtx750 is a fine low consumption card with good performance for the power it draws.Thats about it. Also i just saw a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X on a sale for 125bucks which on some games gives double performance.

Finding a suitable psu is also not a problem. So for about 12bucks more after rebates you have the following with far far better potential in gaming:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.67 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $460.60
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-29 09:18 EDT-0400

As i said, it depends on the budget. Whats the ceiling and how flexible it is.

Erm no. 270 is alot better, gtx750 is a fine low consumption card with good performance for the power it draws.Thats about it. Also i just saw a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X on a sale for 125bucks which on some games gives double performance.

Finding a suitable psu is also not a problem. So for about 12bucks more after rebates you have the following with far far better potential in gaming:

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $460.60
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-29 09:18 EDT-0400

As i said, it depends on the budget. Whats the ceiling and how flexible it is.
    I think Aori meant that the type of games the op's son is playing there will be no difference in having a r9 270 or a gtx 750. Like I already said, that depends on the resolution but still.
    Also a 380w psu for a r9 270 is too risky, since that gpu asks for 150-180w. Put it with a hungrier i3-i5 and you will have problems.
    The pentium has low wattage consumption, even when oced (you can oc it fairly easily on stock voltages upto 3.8-4ghz, depending on silicon lottery).

If you change the psu to a 500w bronze, then I would agree on the r9 270.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Aori meant that the type of games the op's son is playing there will be no difference in having a r9 270 or a gtx 750. Like I already said, that depends on the resolution but still.
    Also a 380w psu for a r9 270 is too risky, since that gpu asks for 150-180w. Put it with a hungrier i3-i5 and you will have problems.
    The pentium has low wattage consumption, even when oced (you can oc it fairly easily on stock voltages upto 3.8-4ghz, depending on silicon lottery).

Yes that is what I meant, even at 1080, the difference is minimal. The concern was he was pairing it with the Earthwatts PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Yes that is what I meant, even at 1080, the difference is minimal. The concern was he was pairing it with the Earthwatts PSU.

Well, the 380W wouldn't even run it cause it only has 1x6 pin PCI-E connector. 270x only takes up about 130W and a 380W is enough, it just doesn't have the connectors to do so.
    Earthwatt is a delta OEM, great OEM.

ok im so lost right now on what to do for my son i didnt want people fighting over pc parts im sry everyone i will just buy him a per build computer from bestbuy and hope for the best

ok im so lost right now on what to do for my son i didnt want people fighting over pc parts im sry everyone i will just buy him a per build computer from bestbuy and hope for the best
    That's a surefire recipe for dissappointment

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Well, the 380W wouldn't even run it cause it only has 1x6 pin PCI-E connector. 270x only takes up about 130W and a 380W is enough, it just doesn't have the connectors to do so.
    Earthwatt is a delta OEM, great OEM.
    you can buy an adapter for that. The problem is really the psu, a 380w bronze psu for a build with a 180w gpu? repice for disaster.
    Being bronze means it guarantees 80% of those 380 meaning 304. Above that it could get messy.

@ op, don't mind the "fights", they are constructive, the 1st build posted here will do nicely for your son, provided he's still gaming what you said on your 1st post.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2015-05-30 at 12:12 PM.

Deleted
    Don't understand what you discussing at when then first comment was "off" anyway. The first build has a gtx750ti with a 380watt psu. Simple enough. The 2nd has an R9 270x with a 620w (a little too much but was on sale at the time). Also no problems. Then you go out saying that an R9 270(x) paired with a 380w psu if it enough or not. That was not the case on any of the builds so all comments were...did you check both builds?

The 2nd build for 12bucks more after rebates is a clear winner as i said. Double gpu performance for that amount of money is a no brainer.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2015-05-30 at 12:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can buy an adapter for that. The problem is really the psu, a 380w bronze psu for a build with a 180w gpu? repice for disaster.
    Being bronze means it guarantees 80% of those 380 meaning 304. Above that it could get messy.

@ op, don't mind the "fights", they are constructive, the 1st build posted here will do nicely for your son, provided he's still gaming what you said on your 1st post.
    That's not how it works.
    What the efficiency rating is the conversion from AC to DC. Due to outlets using AC to power your everything, but practically every component uses DC. What that means is the PSU takes the AC input and converts to DC for your computer to use.
    What happens is if a PSU is 100% efficient, it'd take 380W AC to produce 380W DC. Bronze is 82%-85%-82% at 20%-50%-100% capacity load. At 82% efficiency it'd take about 460W~ AC to produce 380W~ DC. It does NOT mean that the PSU can not produce 380W. This is also why there's voltage regulation and ripple suppression, due to the conversion from AC to DC, there are fluctuations that may occur and going out of spec can result to damaged components.
    This has a few side effects. Higher wasted energy is more heat generated. Poorly designed PSUs (Delta is not one to screw that up) will degrade faster. This results to worse ripple suppression and voltage regulation.
    Depending on how it's made, more heat can also mean louder noise as the fan needs to move more air to keep things cooler. This is why if you're going for quiet builds you should be looking at Gold / Platinum / Titanium with semi-passive or just a pure fanless build with platinum+.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2015-05-30 at 06:37 PM.