View Poll Results: When obtaining knowledge Why or What is important?

Voters
42. This poll is closed
  • What.

5 11.90%
  • The why.

37 88.10%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    such a convincing and compelling argument.
    Mall Security is notoriously great at making compelling arguments on MMO-C. Lol... look at his threads D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaze41 View Post
    Mall Security is notoriously great at making compelling arguments on MMO-C. Lol... look at his threads D:
    i dont know that "nope untrue" statement has so much depth and complexity....i mean just think of all the angles it tackles...all the possible complications and what not. it's so intricate in it's simplicity. ITS BRILLIANT!
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I go the full gamut. I need to know who what where when why and how.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I go the full gamut. I need to know who what where when why and how.
    Agreed, /thread.

Yeah, it's true. You can't even start to question "why" without knowing "what" it is you're questioning. "Why" just expands your understanding of the "what". It goes both ways, why to the what and what to the why.
    I would think "why" is the first thing that comes up upon realizing your need to learn more. The why then lets you start on what path you then take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I would think "why" is the first thing that comes up upon realizing your need to learn more. The why then lets you start on what path you then take.
    Oh my gosh people how can you not understand this. WHAT are you trying to learn more about? You need a basic even minuscule understanding of "what" to ask the question "why".

10+ Year Old Account
    such a convincing and compelling argument.
    It's a gift, the guy is obviously fucking wrong, and if he doesn't know that, it is a good example of what I am talking about, if he understood the WHY, he would know it's not relevant.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Today one of my students decided that my phone on my desk would be better suited in their pocket. While I am quite curious as to which student actually took it (the "what") I am MUCH more interested in the "why": Was it personal, are they desperate for cash to buy a prom ticket, is it to support a drug habit, does their family need money to make rent, etc etc etc. Once I find out the "why" I can address the underlying symptoms that led to the "what".

10+ Year Old Account
    Who, where, what and when are the ends. Why and how are the means. Ends are the goals, and are important, but they would be meaningless without the means to achieve them, or to solve similar problems that may arise subsequently. How and why are more important, because they may be applied to many more goals in the future. Who, what, where and when are specific to the situation, and will provide limited use.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my gosh people how can you not understand this. WHAT are you trying to learn more about? You need a basic even minuscule understanding of "what" to ask the question "why".
    Well you're wrong, you given your answer and opinion, but I am sure as hell not going to educate you as to why you are wrong, see how that works?

- - - Updated - - -

i dont know that "nope untrue" statement has so much depth and complexity....i mean just think of all the angles it tackles...all the possible complications and what not. it's so intricate in it's simplicity. ITS BRILLIANT!
    Sometimes you gotta let em go bread, you literally can't save them all.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    just knowing the answer doesn't prove you are knowledgeable. knowing why it's the answer is the basis of knowledge.
    Isn't the reason for an answer similarly just the answer to something else?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Why if i know WHy then i cnan work better..also maybe try and improve it or say why it;s fucking dumb we do soemthing that way.

That or the simple understanding helps you learn more and expand...I umm am kinda an information whore lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    I like to think of it as a math problem. I know the basic whats of certain equations, but the why lets me solve more complicated equations that I dont currently have the answer to. Just telling me even more whats doesnt help me to solve stuff that I dont know the what for. A what is only good for stating what is. A why can lead you to all sorts of other whats.

What? That wasn't the question though, the question was what is the RIGHT answer, or why is it the RIGHT answer. Not a question of what is it you're trying to learn.

Like I said, apply it to math, it becomes quite simple, it's the why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    No it isn't. The why isn't always tied to what. What is infinite, why is pretty finite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    Who, where, what and when are the ends. Why and how are the means. Ends are the goals, and are important, but they would be meaningless without the means to achieve them, or to solve similar problems that may arise subsequently. How and why are more important, because they may be applied to many more goals in the future. Who, what, where and when are specific to the situation, and will provide limited use.
    The means of why/how would be meaningless without the ends of who, what, where, and when. You can't have one without the other, both are equally important.

But you need a reason to even begin!

You lack knowledge. Why is that a problem? Why are you learning more? Why is more than just expanding upon what you've already learned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    What? That wasn't the question though, the question was what is the RIGHT answer, or why is it the RIGHT answer. Not a question of what is it you're trying to learn.

Like I said, apply it to math, it becomes quite simple, it's the why.
    2 + 2 = Bubble gum!

What's wrong with Bubble gum? Because bubble isn't the right fucking answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    No it isn't. The why isn't always tied to what. What is infinite, why is pretty finite.
    You're backwards. If the what happens to be that the derivative of x^2 is 2x, the why is much larger.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well you're wrong, you given your answer and opinion, but I am sure as hell not going to educate you as to why you are wrong, see how that works?

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes you gotta let em go bread, you literally can't save them all.
    you do realize i was talking about you right?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.