10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    In the books, Ser Barristan is still alive and leading the defense of Meereen. It's more likely they killed him to replace him with Greyworm in order to be more diverse. Plus Greyworm is an emasculated male who is loyal to Dany.
    Not Greyworm, Tyrion. Tyrion is ruling Meereen now in Daenerys' absence. That's probably why they killed off Barristan.

Plus, Barristan was just as loyal to Dany than Greyworm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Maybe Ian will play Euron Greyjoy.
    That's my guess. He would be perfect to play the pirate type.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Not Greyworm, Tyrion. Tyrion is ruling Meereen now in Daenerys' absence. That's probably why they killed off Barristan.

Plus, Barristan was just as loyal to Dany than Greyworm.
    Greyworm instead of Barristan makes the show more "diverse".

D&D have no respect for the source material. They have changed the story to be more politically correct.

The show needs to be more diverse, right?

D&D have no respect for the source material. They have changed the story to be more politically correct.

Seriously did you even read the same book as me?

I want to meet the women that scorned you.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapathy View Post
    Seriously did you even read the same book as me?
    Yes I did. Stannis didn't burn Shireen, and he believed in justice and wanted to make her his heir.

Yes I did. Stannis didn't burn Shireen, and he believed in justice and wanted to make her his heir.
    And lost at Blackwater bay, went North when it wasnt in his best interest, committed fratricide , dosnt listen to Davos, will have to fight north to south which is counter-intuitive, can be stopped in his tracks at Moat Carlin or at The Twins. He is rigid, unpleasant, unlovable, stubborn, uncaring etc etc etc.

Never will he sit the throne because he will never reach it.

Deleted
    And lost at Blackwater bay, went North when it wasnt in his best interest, committed fratricide , dosnt listen to Davos, will have to fight north to south which is counter-intuitive, can be stopped in his tracks at Moat Carlin or at The Twins. He is rigid, unpleasant, unlovable, stubborn, uncaring etc etc etc.

Never will he sit the throne because he will never reach it.
    Book Stannis is different from show Stannis. He didn't kill Shireen.

Stannis believes in justice. Justice is harsh but fair. If you break the law, you will be punished. If you obey the law and are good, you will be rewarded.

Why do you hate that so much?

Book Stannis is different from show Stannis. He didn't kill Shireen.

Stannis believes in justice. Justice is harsh but fair. If you break the law, you will be punished. If you obey the law and are good, you will be rewarded.

Why do you hate that so much?
    Only a matter of time.

Look how far that got Ned Stark.

There is more to ruling a kingdom than Justice.

10+ Year Old Account

Again. It is not Grey Worm instead of Barristan. It is Tyrion instead of Barristan. Tyrion is now de facto the acting Queen's Hand. He is the one who will lead Meereen during the siege (if there is one) instead of Barristan. Grey Worm will only do what he has always done : command the Unsullied. Under Tyrion's order.

Deleted
    There is more to ruling a kingdom than Justice.
    We can figure out what that is after the unjust have been defeated.

I preferred your old Saber avatar.

We can figure out what that is after the unjust have been defeated.

I preferred your old Saber avatar.
    Miia has taken over as best girl.

But Justice wont happen, ive known this since the beginning that Stannis wont get his throne.

Deleted
    Miia has taken over as best girl.

But Justice wont happen, ive known this since the beginning that Stannis wont get his throne.
    Justice will prevail no matter what, mister Mapathy.

Believe it.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.

Ramsey's line to theon/reek.. "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention", just screams in my mind.

So about Ian McShane being cast in season 6... I think (or hope) that he's playing either Euron or Victarion Greyjoy, though he does look more like what I'd picture Victarion as. I was pretty pissed that they've skimmed over their entire story so far. Hopefully they're giving that entire story arc some love.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Again. It is not Grey Worm instead of Barristan. It is Tyrion instead of Barristan. Tyrion is now de facto the acting Queen's Hand. He is the one who will lead Meereen during the siege (if there is one) instead of Barristan. Grey Worm will only do what he has always done : command the Unsullied. Under Tyrion's order.
    Agreed. Barristan was killed so D+D could fanboy over Tyrion some more (I love Tyrion don't get me wrong but D+D have clear favourites and it causes a bias in their adaptation). This is made pretty much explicit when Tyrion meets Dany - his entire selling point for himself is that Dany has no Westerosi advisor, which of course she already would if Barristan was still alive.

Deleted
    Ian McShane has to be one of the Greyjoys, I can't see him as Randyll Tarly, i've always imagined him as looking like Graham McTavish ever since someone posted it in a casting suggestion thread, especially with the epic beard he can get going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Ian McShane has to be one of the Greyjoys, I can't see him as Randyll Tarly, i've always imagined him as looking like Graham McTavish ever since someone posted it in a casting suggestion thread, especially with the epic beard he can get going on.
    The article said not much screen time, so I doubt he'll be one of the Greyjoys. I'm not even sure if we're getting any of the Greyjoys other than Euron and the preexisting ones. I think they'll cut the Kingsmoot and just have a simplified Euron/Yara conflict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Agreed. Barristan was killed so D+D could fanboy over Tyrion some more (I love Tyrion don't get me wrong but D+D have clear favourites and it causes a bias in their adaptation). This is made pretty much explicit when Tyrion meets Dany - his entire selling point for himself is that Dany has no Westerosi advisor, which of course she already would if Barristan was still alive.
    Barristan had been a poor advisor though. First, he is a Ned Stark, advising Dany to rule by great principles, honour and virtues, while the chaotic situation in Meereen demands a more flexible mindset. Which Tyrion has. Also, he advised Dany to rule Meereen as if it was Westeros. That did not work well either. As Duke Leto Atreides would say:

"On Caladan we ruled by sea and air power - here on Arrakis we will need Desert Power."

Tyrion is far better in politics than Barristan Selmy, who is just a great fighter. Even if he had survived, I'm pretty sure Tyrion would have quickly taken his place as main advisor and Queen's Hand. Too bad he's dead though. He would have made a wonderful spokesman when Dany crossed the Narrow Sea. Having Barristan Selmy the Bold at her side would have helped her gain support in Westeros. Now, with the Imp, murderer of his nephew the King and his father the King's Hand...

Also, let's face it, Tyrion is a far more important character than Selmy. His mere presence in Meereen would overshadow Barristan.

On another subject, the other thing Dany needed after a good political advisor was good intelligence. She had no Master of Whisperers. A lot of problems would have been averted if only Dany has had a good spy net at her disposal. I suppose Varys will manage to build one now that he is in Meereen.

- - - Updated - - -

The article said not much screen time, so I doubt he'll be one of the Greyjoys. I'm not even sure if we're getting any of the Greyjoys other than Euron and the preexisting ones. I think they'll cut the Kingsmoot and just have a simplified Euron/Yara conflict.
    "Not much screen time" is pretty much a given in GoT. Jonathan Pryce/High Sparrow did not have much screen time either, though it was effective. We also don't know what they want to do with Euron Greyjoy. So Ian McShane could still play that character and have a huge impact on the show.

Deleted
    Actually thinking about it Ian Mcshane as Septon Meribald makes sense

He could be anyone.