Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Good PC doesn't run WoW as expected.

Hi friends. I built this machine a little over a year ago and didn't realize that my computer is quite underwhelming for the hardware that's in it.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X
    GPU: Zotac GTX 980 4GB DDR5
    RAM: 16GB DDR3
    CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz
    Storage: 512GB Samsung Evo Series

Peripherals
    2x Samsung 4k Monitors each plugged in via Display Port
    Razer Naga epic Chroma
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma

I noticed the underperforming when I saw a friend of mine with similar specs streaming @ 60 FPS @ Ultra settings. Sitting in my garrison on Ultra I stay at 60 FPS and that's not at 4k Resolution whereas when he's not streaming he flies in the high 100s for FPS.

Here are some things I tried;
    *BIOS Update
    *Windows Updates
    *Turning down resolution on monitors to 1920x1080 and changing WoW's resolution to 1920x1080
    *Using only one monitor and disconnecting the other
    *Ran MSI Afterburner to see any mishaps, I wasn't really sure what I was looking at but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
    *Full wipe and clean install of 8.1. I put my WoW folder on an external, and after the install was completed I transferred the folder back to Program Filesx86 and ran it from there.
    *Based on NVIDIA control panel, I turned the liquid detail to 'Fair' as that was the only suggestion in there.

I don't know what else to try, I'm frustrated that I spent a little over 5 grand on this machine to be shown that it's not running to its potential. I don't know if anyone was has NVIDIA settings to try or in game WoW settings to try or any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Two things:

1). You have vsync on.
    2). Anything over 60 fps is pointless.

Deleted
    1) Get rid of 8.1, it runs games like arse.
    2) It's WoW, it will hog your processor into the ground, so run as little in the background as possible.
    3) Have you updated all yer software?
    4) If you are using a 64-bit OS, then use 64-bit version, alot smoother.
    5) Contact Customer Support/Technical Deppartment to see if they got any tips?
    6) Try using console commands in the in-game chatbox to set up manually graphics, turning some setting WAY PAST "Ultra", doing that actually improved my FPS, on a WAY worse system, cuz fuck logic. >.>

If any of that helped, cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Backlashe View Post
    Two things:

1). You have vsync on.
    2). Anything over 60 fps is pointless.
    Oh, and this aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Owhale View Post
    Hi friends. I built this machine a little over a year ago and didn't realize that my computer is quite underwhelming for the hardware that's in it.

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X
    GPU: Zotac GTX 980 4GB DDR5
    RAM: 16GB DDR3
    CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.0 GHz
    Storage: 512GB Samsung Evo Series

Peripherals
    2x Samsung 4k Monitors each plugged in via Display Port
    Razer Naga epic Chroma
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma

I noticed the underperforming when I saw a friend of mine with similar specs streaming @ 60 FPS @ Ultra settings. Sitting in my garrison on Ultra I stay at 60 FPS and that's not at 4k Resolution whereas when he's not streaming he flies in the high 100s for FPS.

Here are some things I tried;
    *BIOS Update
    *Windows Updates
    *Turning down resolution on monitors to 1920x1080 and changing WoW's resolution to 1920x1080
    *Using only one monitor and disconnecting the other
    *Ran MSI Afterburner to see any mishaps, I wasn't really sure what I was looking at but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.
    *Full wipe and clean install of 8.1. I put my WoW folder on an external, and after the install was completed I transferred the folder back to Program Filesx86 and ran it from there.
    *Based on NVIDIA control panel, I turned the liquid detail to 'Fair' as that was the only suggestion in there.

I don't know what else to try, I'm frustrated that I spent a little over 5 grand on this machine to be shown that it's not running to its potential. I don't know if anyone was has NVIDIA settings to try or in game WoW settings to try or any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Update to Windows 10. 8.1 is garbo

I'm doing a clean install of WoW now. In NVIDIA's CP I don't have Vertical Sync on, I'll check in WoW if it's there.
    Would you recommend 10? That's where I was prior to me wiping the system.
    What software are you referring to? If you're referring to the OS, then not at the moment, I just did a full wipe and didn't run any updates yet.
    I always ran x64 for WoW since it's a x64 OS
    Customer Support answers with "If the game runs, that's enough for us".
    Could you get a link to what you're referring to?

Thanks

Deleted
    Get new Nvidia drivers

Nvidia drivers are from 11/9/15, the newest ones.

I cancelled my WoW installation and I'm downloading W10 upgrade .iso now.

But sometimes when I'm flying around where nothing really changes, I dip to 35-45 then it'll go back up. I know what 60 FPS and it stutters between 55-60 and I feel like it shouldn't be doing that all. I know it sounds like I'm looking for perfection but I feel like it's not giving the full experience I came to expect.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedetasticGames View Post
    1) Get rid of 8.1, it runs games like arse.
    What's with the hate on 8.1? I've had 8.1 for over a year and I've had less issues with it in general and with how it runs games than I did with Windows 7.

I really question the legitimacy of these claims.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I just finished the upgrade to 10, resuming the WoW install.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What's with the hate on 8.1? I've had 8.1 for over a year and I've had less issues with it in general and with how it runs games than I did with Windows 7.

I really question the legitimacy of these claims.
    There's no legitimacy. 8.1 performs the same if not better than 7 at games just fine.

The problem isn't at the operating system, but at this point I'd also say to just update to 10 since it's better than 7 or 8.1 anyway. WDDM 2.0 drivers also help =p

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished the upgrade to 10, resuming the WoW install.
    Did you do a clean update or the update that keep your things? W10 is very good at the second option but just in case to eliminate possible problems a clean install is still better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    There's no legitimacy. 8.1 performs the same if not better than 7 at games just fine.

The problem isn't at the operating system, but at this point I'd also say to just update to 10 since it's better than 7 or 8.1 anyway. WDDM 2.0 drivers also help =p
    Exactly what I thought. My games run flawlessly.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Did you do a clean update or the update that keep your things? W10 is very good at the second option but just in case to eliminate possible problems a clean install is still better.
    I just did a clean install of 8.1 not even 45 minutes ago, did nothing to the OS. Downloaded the .iso and installed W10. It practically was a clean install because I have literally 0 software installed.

Also, what's WDDM 2.0?

10+ Year Old Account
    I just did a clean install of 8.1 not even 45 minutes ago, did nothing to the OS. Downloaded the .iso and installed W10. It practically was a clean install because I have literally 0 software installed.

Also, what's WDDM 2.0?
    Great then =)
    WDDM 2.0 drivers are the new display drivers for Windows 10 with a lot of improvements, they're mandatory for d3d12 but people have been reporting to be getting better results even at d3d11 titles.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad i use AMD seems better
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

Is this something additional I must install? I see nothing in Windows Update...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dartz1979 View Post
    I'm glad i use AMD seems better
    Your assistance has greatly helped

10+ Year Old Account
    Chatting with Iamanerd in Skype and we've been talking about this thread.

2 x 4k monitors should be a no-brainer. That already is a HUGE drain, especially for one poor lonely GTX 980.

Not to mention, that even with a computer setup, like yours or mine, even WoW at 1080p, because of its engine, will have dips. WoW just is on old code and no one can get a constant 60 fps when there are enough effects on the screen.

Case in point:

"A flower.

If I were to replace the 2x 28" 4k monitors with 2x 27" x1080p monitors, do you think that would create the performance I'd like to see?

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, uh, yeah.

However, I think you should stick with 4k. It will look nicer.

TWO 4k monitors, however, I think is pointless and wasteful. Like, unless you actually need that much real estate, say, for work... it's silly. It's just more stress for your GPU.

Remember that your GPU is having to put out 4k*2 at all times. Sure, the second screen isn't a HUGE burden in comparison to a video game, but it's still a hefty chunk compared to, say, a 1080p monitor as your side monitor.

You're just asking A LOT from your poor GPU right now. A single 4k+1080p wouldn't be a terrible choice, though personally mismatching bugs me, having done it before. If you NEED to be multiscreen, that's what I'd do, likely, but still, it would be weird. Maybe try disbaling your second monitor while you're in WoW and see how the game runs... it should run a fair amount better.
    "A flower.

Also make sure you do not have render scale on in wow on something like 200% because that would cripple performance if you use a 4k monitor.

Also this has been said to death, no system in the world can keep wow at 60+ fps on ultra at all times especially in crowded area's or heavy combat situations (like 20+ man raids) even on 1080 let alone 4k and this has more to do with your CPU then GPU