Poll: Do you know how to drive a stick shift?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Do you know how to drive a manual transmission automobile?

Just a random inquiry on this Friday night.

At least here in America, manual transmissions are declining more and more every year.

When I went truck shopping a few years ago it literally took an entire day to even find a dealer that had a 6 speed manual transmission in a truck.

Some people cringe at the idea of driving a manual transmission in such events like stop and go traffic, but me personally, an automatic transmission is such a bore. Even the biggest piece of shit car or truck just seems more fun to drive with a stick. A friend of mine had a crappy Honda CRX some 20 years ago, but damn if it didn't feel like you were racing around a little low profile go-kart with that thing.

Then there was my street legal 5 speed dune buggy I regret selling a few years ago, plan to build another one for sure at some point in the future:

Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-11-28 at 03:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I briefly started learning to drive stick from my cousin when I first started driving, then i QUICKLY learned when my parents bought me a manual transmission car and dropped it off to me at work and then had to drive myself home (i had crashed my first car, and they fronted the cash for the replacement).

I haven't had a manual transmission car since like 2007, but i still catch myself keeping my hand on the shifter of my car.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started off driving old...I mean old beater cars. First car was a '63 ford falcon station wagon...automatic...boring. I then bought a '70 vw bug manual without knowing how to drive it....learned in a hour as I had to drive it to work. Manuals are much more fun. I recently went from a 2 year old automatic kia rio (payments got to be too much for budget) and bought a '94 manual Nissan Sentra. It's had the engine replaced once, clutch replaced at least 3 times but the little sucker is a die hard. Ododmeter says 310k miles but to drive it you'd never know. Runs like a top...little pickey on cold mornings...but give me a manual any day.

Quote Originally Posted by boyzma View Post
    I started off driving old...I mean old beater cars. First car was a '63 ford falcon station wagon...automatic...boring. I then bought a '70 vw bug manual without knowing how to drive it....learned in a hour as I had to drive it to work. Manuals are much more fun. I recently went from a 2 year old automatic kia rio (payments got to be too much for budget) and bought a '94 manual Nissan Sentra. It's had the engine replaced once, clutch replaced at least 3 times but the little sucker is a die hard. Ododmeter says 310k miles but to drive it you'd never know. Runs like a top...little pickey on cold mornings...but give me a manual any day.
    That is the thing, its not hard per say to learn to drive a manual. Its like riding a bike, once you get the basic idea, its stupid easy. However the market has proven people just don't want them anymore.

I dread the day I will no longer be able to find a manual transmission.

What they call a "manual" in modern cars are paddle shifters or those up/down shift-tronic automatics. Ick.

It is funny watching someone who is new come to a stop light that is on a hill. Like a deer caught in headlights.

I know how to operate all sorts of obsolete technologies from manual transmissions to the cardex at the library.

10+ Year Old Account
    Half of my cars are stick shift (by which I mean 1 of the 2).
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    That is the thing, its not hard per say to learn to drive a manual. Its like riding a bike, once you get the basic idea, its stupid easy. However the market has proven people just don't want them anymore.

I dread the day I will no longer be able to find a manual transmission.

What they call a "manual" in modern cars are paddle shifters or those up/down shift-tronic automatics. Ick.
    This doesn't immediately come to mind in peoples minds..but with the disappearance of manual transmissions also comes with disappearance of hand brakes (instead there's more foot e-brakes and push button e-brakes). This effects some places like NJ where I live, where in order to take your drivers road exam, the car must be equipped with a hand brake. That's probably why my driving school gets as many road test rentals as it does lol

At least here in America, manual transmissions are declining more and more every year.
    The majority of American made cars come with a standard option. Production hasn't declined, just popularity.

Being a car guy myself I had one of my friends teach me how to drive a standard transmission just so I would know how to do it. My parents have never owned a standard and don't really think it's necessary to know how to drive one. I think no matter if you're going to buy or not, it's good to at least know how to drive one if you had to.

Manual is all I've driven for about 8 years. I even delivered pizzas with one for over 3 years. I still love it.

I've tried a paddle shifter and I thought it was about as exciting as an automatic.

Yep. Learned before I flew to New Zealand. So glad I did too, the car I borrowed was manual! The hard part was getting used to driving on the other side of the road, and learning the opposite side of my car.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

My first car was a manual without power steering. It was a work out driving that car. I'm sure I can still drive one but it's been a long time since I had to. Unless you count motorbikes too, then I use one everyday but the skill sets are still quite different.

I prefer autos. Manuals are more fun at times but I'd prefer not have to drive one with all the city driving I do.

I have a CDL-A if I ever feel compelled to use it professionally.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orgnoatlze View Post
    The majority of American made cars come with a standard option. Production hasn't declined, just popularity.

Being a car guy myself I had one of my friends teach me how to drive a standard transmission just so I would know how to do it. My parents have never owned a standard and don't really think it's necessary to know how to drive one. I think no matter if you're going to buy or not, it's good to at least know how to drive one if you had to.
    I agree with this completely. My roommate doesn't know how to drive a stick, and I have the only car which is stick. So I get stuck driving for every little tiny errand and sometimes it really gets annoying. I have told her I would take her our in the middle of the giant church parking lot (with permission of course) and teach her and she won't do it. I did teach my son, omg...it was both hilarious and whip lashing at the same time, but he did learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    My first car was a manual without power steering. It was a work out driving that car. I'm sure I can still drive one but it's been a long time since I had to. Unless you count motorbikes too, then I use one everyday but the skill sets are still quite different.

I prefer autos. Manuals are more fun at times but I'd prefer not have to drive one with all the city driving I do.
    My dune buggy had no power steering. People don't realize how great they have it with power steering. When you are in motion its no big deal, but at crawling speed you are basically having to muscle the steering wheel. lol
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2015-11-28 at 03:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only "hard" part of driving a manual is really just first gear and getting it moving smoothly.

Yup and as noted by others so far I find it much more fun although there was an old automatic mini cooper that we used to rag around like an oversize go kart, that thing was crazy fun
    Over here if you want you can do your test in an automatic car but if you then want to drive a manual you have to retake your test in a manual car so unless you want to be restricted in what you can drive you may as well learn manual - and it's not particularly hard tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dune bugger had no power steering. People don't realize how great they have it with power steering. When you are in motion its no big deal, but at crawling speed you are basically having to muscle the steering wheel. lol
    My Nissan doesn't have power steering, builds up arm strength

Just a random inquiry on this Friday night.

When I went truck shopping a few years ago it literally took an entire day to even find a dealer that had a 6 speed manual transmission in a truck.

Some people cringe at the idea of driving a manual transmission in such events like stop and go traffic, but me personally, an automatic transmission is such a bore. Even the biggest piece of shit car or truck just seems more fun to drive with a stick. A friend of mine had a crappy Honda CRX some 20 years ago, but damn if it didn't feel like you were racing around a little low profile go-kart with that thing.

Then there was my street legal 5 speed dune buggy I regret selling a few years ago, plan to build another one for sure at some point in the future:
    I bought a truck today http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/comme...Metris%7CBrand was talking bout the samething, manual is almost gone and what's left is electronic shifting. I love stick shift with a clutch. Yes I can drive one to answer your question.

I think they in Europe they are still popular.

Unless you buy a (really) expensive car in Brazil (a car around 100x the national minimum wage), you will be driving a manual transmission one... so, yes I know how to drive one :3

(and I have no clue how to drive an automatic one O.o )
    Last edited by gabrieloceano; 2015-11-28 at 03:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Yup and as noted by others so far I find it much more fun although there was an old automatic mini cooper that we used to rag around like an oversize go kart, that thing was crazy fun
    Over here if you want you can do your test in an automatic car but if you then want to drive a manual you have to retake your test in a manual car so unless you want to be restricted in what you can drive you may as well learn manual - and it's not particularly hard tbh.
    Here it's all one test. So somebody who has never driven stick their whole life can suddenly decide they want one and wage a campaign of terror on the roads.

I personally prefer automatic. A good torque converter will engage smoother than any human could engage a clutch. And I like smooth stuff.