Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Who-Dey Saying a sports chant is offensive?

For more context, the chant in question goes like this..."Who dey! Who Dey! Who dey saying dey gonna beat dem bengals? Nooooobody!"

I love the title. I'll be here all week.

I have family in Cincinnati, and one family member left me this article written in a Cincinatti newspaper that has some people talking. Apparently theres some controversy regarding my teams' signature chant and that it might be a little bit offensive.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/opin...tory/76977706/

Just a quick disclaimer, "Who Dey" in Cincinatti became a thing well before the New Orleanes saints decided to copycat their similiar "Who dat" phrase. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I'm no ebonics man. So I can't verify the validity behind the origin of the term. I didn't think of it as much different from Jamaican or creole dialect though.

15+ Year Old Account
    So it's offensive because "who dey" sounds like something a black person would say?

What if the slogan was turned down because it sounded like something a black person would say? Wouldn't that be racist too?

What a pointless, dumb thing to be writing about.

Can I find it dumb because "Who dat" just flows much better?

Meh. Someone being outraged on behalf of someone else. Especially funny when the outrage over being painted black and orange shows up, despite those being the team colors.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    This is why society hates a kind of people, because everything offends them.

Sounds like another case of SJWs coming to the defense of black people over something that isn't even offending them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it offensive.

Who comes up with gad awful chants like that? A committee?

Potentially troublesome.
    They don't even attempt to make the claim anymore: just suggest it until someone launches the twater campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I find it offensive.

Indeed. Sadly most of the US teams have terrible chants. I mean, like those we had in 4th grade.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it offensive.

I know.. we could just scream Olay all day.

Yeah after reading the opinion piece... Apparently because "Who dey" is "Black English"
    And it seems to resemble "call-and-response"
    [kawl-uh n-ri-spons]
    Examples
    adjective
    noting or pertaining to a style of singing in which a melody sung by one singer is responded to or echoed by one or more singers.
    noting or pertaining to rapid, spontaneous verbal and nonverbal interaction between speaker and listener, in which all statements are punctuated by expressions from the listener.
    noun, Also, call and response
    call-and-response singing.
    call-and-response interaction between speaker and listener.

And apparently that's some black thing that had to do with the slave trade?

Sorry. I'm still not convinced that I should be offended.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    At least olay olay olay has a nice flow to it :d

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it offensive.

Well the author of that article says we stole it from "Black English" so that's where.

One day some black guy, speaking so-called Black English, said "Who Dey think gonna beat them Bengals?" and then white people stole it from him.

And it became our tribal chant in our "Jungle" (nickname for Paul Brown Stadium).

Racist overtures abound.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the people in Ohio are going to complain about their sports teams they should focus on the lackluster season of the Columbus Blue Jackets instead of getting into an uproar over this.

Associating "Who Dey" with black people is more racist than this chant is purported to be.

That's the problem with the left, they end up being more racist because they assume harmless things are commonly associated with minorities thus further perpetuating the stereotype.

The problem with pointing a finger and calling out "cultural appropriation" is that you first have to assign a particular behaviour to a culture to begin with. So you basically have to in your own mind break down an entire culture... religion... race... ethnicity... whatever into a handful of shallow stereotypes.

So you can't accuse somebody of cultural appropriation without being a narrow minded bigot.

I wonder if they are as equally offended over the slogan of Popeye's Chicken- LOOOOOSIANA FAST!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If the people in Ohio are going to complain about their sports teams they should focus on the lackluster season of the Columbus Blue Jackets instead of getting into an uproar over this.
    most football fans in Ohio are just Ohio State most Bengal fans are in Kentucky

10+ Year Old Account
    Sports chants are supposed to be silly, and honestly a little bit offensive. i know down here we have a chant for bad refs: "Hiporee, hiporee, lets sing a song for the referees! Three blind mice, three blind mice..."

I get that the words are supposed to be kinda ebonics, but i don't find its use to be inherently racist, especially being used in positive contexts like being Pro-Bengel or pro_Saints.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    They could get sponsorship from Oil of Olay then.

As long as we're having this thread, Bigzo can you clarify something: why do so many black people talk differently and practically have their own language? I know black people who talk like normal people, so why is this trend so popular?