Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Tradewind, problems tend to be interconnected.

The C-Series fortune is not independant of oil prices. Au contraire. The C-Series main sale argument is that this is an aircraft with lower kerosene intake. With oil prices at rock-bottom, this argument is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Tradewind, problems tend to be interconnected.

The C-Series fortune is not independant of oil prices. Au contraire. The C-Series main sale argument is that this is an aircraft with lower kerosene intake. With oil prices at rock-bottom, this argument is moot.
    What the actual fuck? This literally has zero bearing on whether or not Ottawa should be bailing out Bombardier for their mismanagement.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Good job Canada for opting out of the F35 program, all that investment wasted and no alternative in the works.

Alcomo's "clean oil" ladies and gentlemen!

mmmmm, love it.

how long do you think its going to take the government to openly regret taking them in?

my money is on 3 years... any other guesses?

You might notice that Venezuela is collapsing, but Canada is not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    how long do you think its going to take the government to openly regret taking them in?

my money is on 3 years... any other guesses?
    It would be stupid to point out here that naysayers said the same thing about Irish and Italians.

You might notice that Venezuela is collapsing, but Canada is not.
    Cool, has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Cool, has nothing to do with the topic.
    You are the one that correctly pointed out that Venezuelan oil is not very clean, I'm replying that it's not a bed of roses there, and they did not elected Justino Trudez.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Welp I actually struggled my way through the part of the budget on education funding changes. It will definitely work out as a net loss for individuals in my position (grad students) who previously would have been able to at least claim the textbook credit (I'm not positive if the education credit stretched across all degrees or just undergrad, though I think I did still use it during my MA) and I'm not eligible for the increased grants because OSAP loans are for undergraduate students. Though I do have OGS, which is considerably more money and not a loan, so I don't want to seem like I'm complaining here.

I can see why you say it's screwing over students, some people in a certain sweet spot certainly will come out with a net-loss, but I'm not opposed to funneling that money more directly to people already having to use OSAP loans to afford school in the first place, which this does do. I don't think I ever managed to get anywhere close to 1000$ back in claims on tuition in textbooks in a single year, or even 600$ (but I'm not in a discipline with extraordinarily high textbook prices, so I cannot speak for others). Raising the ceiling on loan repayment is not what I would do, but it's better than leaving it where it is, even if it's only a partial solution to a tremendous problem.

I'm not happy to be losing useful tax credits, but I do believe those benefits should go to people trying to get a basic undergrad degree who are already having to go into debt more than me, so if this in fact actually winds up as a net gain for them, I can certainly live with claiming a little less on my taxes.

Overall I'm not sure I would classify this as "fucking over students," but I can see why someone would argue that the tax credits could be more appealing, the counter is that they don't do as much to address the needs of those already struggling as the increase in grants will. since they target everyone indiscriminate of need.

You are the one that correctly pointed out that Venezuelan oil is not very clean, I'm replying that it's not a bed of roses there, and they did not elected Justino Trudez.
    Yeah, and you're missing the point entirely.

It's not about improving the social climate in Venezuela, but that the East would rather import oil from there and Saudi Arabia. Places with wholly defunct ethical principles. Then having the gall to call it "clean oil." Bollocks.

rip Canada, i wonder what evil mastermind is paying off Canada to do this to their own country or is Trudeau is truly a bleeding heart liberal.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    Maybe in the Toronto area and in BC your assumptions might work. But in the rest of Canada people are getting buy just fine. Well maybe not Alberta, but they did that to themselves lmao.

I live 2 hours north of Toronto and can buy a perfectly good 1700 square foot house for $125,000-$150,000. My current mortgage is $700 a month. I also have two kids that I support just fine, own a car and put food on the table. This is on a 45k a year income. I can even afford to travel by managing my money properly. There is no issue with the cost of living here. The problem is people spending more than they should and taking on more debt than they can handle. Other than us currently spending more on items thanks to our shitty dollar, we are doing just fine. You are either just using large and expensive cities as your basis, or you are using Alberta. Either way, you're very wrong.
    You won't get that anywhere in southern Ontario. Between Brantford and Kitchener, the average house is well into the 300-400k range and London is even getting up there if it isn't already, and the majority of people working here in Guelph only make around $14 an hour at most of the large employers in the area. And yes, that is where the majority of Canadians live, in areas like the GTA and Greater Vancouver. In the sticks, housing is on the cheap because you have to drive everywhere to get what you need. Again, those "large and expensive cities" are where the majority of the population resides in this country, so it's actually pretty accurate to suggest that unless you make a six figure household income, you aren't going to be very well off. Even for a single male, my income versus the cost of living is painful when I have expenditures outside of rent (which covers utilities), gas, food and occasionally clothing. $750 a month for rent, around $250 for physio therapy just so I can stay healthy, $50-75 a week for food, then other $200 for gas, $25 a month for external laundry (yeah, it's a ripoff here), $100 a month for car insurance on a $2000 a month income isn't exactly a cheap life. That doesn't factor in my Internet and phone bill which combine to be around $200 a month. So, I am up to about $1700 a month in expenses at a regular 40 hour work week. Thank god for overtime so I can get some extra cash. You think you could raise two kids with what I make? Oh hell no. And there are literally hundreds of thousands of people in Ontario alone in the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You won't get that anywhere in southern Ontario. Between Brantford and Kitchener, the average house is well into the 300-400k range and London is even getting up there if it isn't already, and the majority of people working here in Guelph only make around $14 an hour at most of the large employers in the area. And yes, that is where the majority of Canadians live, in areas like the GTA and Greater Vancouver. In the sticks, housing is on the cheap because you have to drive everywhere to get what you need. Again, those "large and expensive cities" are where the majority of the population resides in this country, so it's actually pretty accurate to suggest that unless you make a six figure household income, you aren't going to be very well off. Even for a single male, my income versus the cost of living is painful when I have expenditures outside of rent (which covers utilities), gas, food and occasionally clothing. $750 a month for rent, around $250 for physio therapy just so I can stay healthy, $50-75 a week for food, then other $200 for gas, $25 a month for external laundry (yeah, it's a ripoff here), $100 a month for car insurance on a $2000 a month income isn't exactly a cheap life. That doesn't factor in my Internet and phone bill which combine to be around $200 a month. So, I am up to about $1700 a month in expenses at a regular 40 hour work week. Thank god for overtime so I can get some extra cash. You think you could raise two kids with what I make? Oh hell no. And there are literally hundreds of thousands of people in Ontario alone in the same situation.
    And 40 000 syrias refugees are going to change all of this ?

Alcomo's "clean oil" ladies and gentlemen!

[IMG

mmmmm, love it.
    It's a sad day when you have to teach someone the definition of "clean". You reallllly missed the point on that one. Like I said, must be all the oil fumes. I wonder if this inability to understand simple things is why you lost your O&G job. Oh well, selfish Albertan trying to screw Canada. Never surprised with what you'll come up with to twist the truth lol. Maybe a nightschool english course might help you understand my initial point on the meaning behind " clean". Glad you're just in the minority lol

Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    rip Canada, i wonder what evil mastermind is paying off Canada to do this to their own country or is Trudeau is truly a bleeding heart liberal.
    The first wave of refugees we got were the Loyalists...we are used to deal with fallout of American decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcomo View Post
    It's a sad day when you have to teach someone the definition of "clean". You reallllly missed the point on that one. Like I said, must be all the oil fumes. I wonder if this inability to understand simple things is why you lost your O&G job. Oh well, selfish Albertan trying to screw Canada. Never surprised with what you'll come up with to twist the truth lol. Maybe a nightschool english course might help you understand my initial point on the meaning behind " clean". Glad you're just in the minority lol
    No, I am intentionally taking the piss out of your stupid uneducated arguments.

I destroyed your "clean oil" angle on the last page, remember? The part where I used data to back up a point. The thing you failed to do. Now I'm just having fun with it and your continued ignorance of unethical sources of Eastern energy imports.

Ontario Education folks!
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-03-24 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    At first I thought it was stupid and didn't made sense, but i did some simple math. This is the same as the Canadian government giving about $105.00 per week for each migrant over a period of 5 years or $5,460.00 per year per migrant.

If these migrants are actually giving back to the economy, paying taxes, etc, wont the Canadian government, in theory, make back over twice this much in taxes over 10 years for each individual?
    Someone is in for a wake up call.

No, I am intentionally taking the piss out of your stupid uneducated arguments. Ontario Education folks!
    The quality of the Albertan oil or not, here is a very simple hard fact that have little to do with ''leftism''

Tar sands oil is more costly to extract than ''normal'' oil from Saudi arabia. It was profitable to exploit it when oil was at 120$ the barrel. It's not as much profitable, if at all, now.

The quality of the Albertan oil or not, here is a very simple hard fact that have little to do with ''leftism''

Tar sands oil is more costly to extract than ''normal'' oil from Saudi arabia. It was profitable to exploit it when oil was at 120$ the barrel. It's not as much profitable, if at all, now.
    So profits are more important than human rights? That's your story?

Stay classy.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    If your people wanted to help immigrants and refugees they'd be sending money overseas to do it, you wouldn't have to take their money by force and give it to others. Also you'd see people letting refugees into their own homes rather than paying for shelter.

The young people in Canada are so overburdened by taxes and an increasing cost of living that they aren't having kids, so you're going to import people to have them for you. More Anglophobic policies from the West.
    No, we're not overburdened by taxes. Making a living in Canada is very easy. In fact, I should get through a first-cycle doctorate (5 years) without any debts. That program has an average debt per student of around 30k at my school, while it is around 65k overall for Canada and 160k in the U.S.. We're not having kids for the same reasons nobody else in developed countries is.

As far as the refugees go, we've been led to believe that most of them already have family here, so it's not like we're just taking nobodies in. I'd assume there's a very selective process, as we're fortunate enough to not be flooded by people, because they can't just walk up to our borders to guilt trip us. Either way, 45 000 is a minuscule number of people.

As for helping our "own people" first, they do get all the help in the world. I'd argue that most homeless people do not want help, and that most autochthons do not want to integrate into society, so there's not much more we can do for either of those groups. To be honest, I'd much rather give my money to Syrian refugees. They're far more likely to be useful members of society in the future.
    Last edited by Synbios; 2016-03-24 at 11:35 PM.