Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Riot erupts in Cairo after policeman kills man over cup of tea

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eg...-idUSKCN0XG114

A riot erupted in a Cairo suburb on Tuesday after a policeman shot three people after an argument over the price of a cup of tea, killing one of them, the Interior Ministry and witnesses said.

Public anger over allegations of police brutality has been bubbling over the past months, with several incidents spilling over into skirmishes and protests, five years after the ministry's officers were a major focus of the 2011 uprising.

One of the onlookers held up a bullet casing and accused the police of killing "poor" Egyptians.

A crowd quickly gathered, overturning a police vehicle and beating up another policeman at the scene, said a witness, who did not see the shooting but said he arrived at the scene in the well-to-do neighborhood of Rehab shortly afterwards.

"The Interior Ministry are thugs," chanted the crowd in a video sent to Reuters by the witness. Around 200 people were in the crowd, according to a Reuters estimate from the footage.

Rights activists say police brutality is widespread in Egypt and that there is a culture of impunity. The Interior Ministry says abuses are isolated and incidents are investigated.

Witnesses said on social media the argument on Tuesday was over the price of a cup of tea, which was confirmed to Reuters by security sources. The video, one of several shared by the witness, showed a man lying still on the floor surrounded by angry onlookers.

The Interior Ministry said in a statement that a policeman got into an argument with a vendor over "the price of a drink" and shot him dead, injuring two others in the process.

A judicial source told Reuters the policeman shot the three men with an assault rifle and fled. The victim died from a bullet to the heart, the judicial source said.

"There are clashes between the police and locals. Security forces brought in two riot police vehicles and an armored truck and the victim's family is here and pelting them with rocks," said the witness who sent the video and who declined to be named for fear of reprisal.

"Security forces are retreating and promising justice but the crowd is demanding police hand over the killer."

Anger over perceived police excesses helped fuel the 2011 uprising that ended President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule and began on a Police Day holiday. Since then, police have regained their power and human rights groups say they have returned to their old ways.

Public anger against police has surged again in recent months.

In February, a policeman shot dead a driver in the street in an argument over a fare, prompting hundreds to protest outside the Cairo security directorate. There were also riots in Ismailia and the southern city Luxor over the authorities' handling of at least three deaths in police custody in a single week in November.

Egyptian security forces have also faced scrutiny over the killing of Italian researcher Giulio Regeni in Cairo this year. Human rights groups say his death bears the hallmarks of Egyptian security agencies. Officials deny involvement.

"A hundred years of isolated incidents," wrote one commentator on Twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tea is serious business

10+ Year Old Account
    The main reason why we introduced stricter gun control into Britain was because of the high number of tea-related shootings we had.

True story.

Not bollocks at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The main reason why we introduced stricter gun control into Britain was because of the high number of tea-related shootings we had.

True story.

Not bollocks at all.
    You crazy bastards put milk in it, so everything is possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    I guess the arguement wasn't the police officers, cup of tea.

Bum Bum Tiss.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurts View Post
    You pretty much deserve to get shot by ruining tea or coffee with milk or sugar.

Tea with some milk and sugar: Best tea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitters View Post
    You pretty much deserve to get shot by ruining tea or coffee with milk or sugar.
    I'm sorry to say i deserve to be shot! Loved black coffee, then i found out i was killing my stomache with pure black coffee so my doctor ordered me to use milk. True story.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmmm that's bad.

What if I pour tea in a hot milk mug? To enhance the milk's flavor?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course we do.

Where else are you supposed to put the milk that comes with the tea? In your ear? That is just crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it's so good though. Don't mean to brag but I've gotten laid due to how good my chai tea is (I lied, but my chai is still great!).

As far as police brutality goes, Pakistani police has that whole act with impunity and as thugs mentality going on. It's getting better gradually however.
    Last edited by Dr Assbandit; 2016-04-19 at 03:32 PM.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

True story.

Not bollocks at all.
    It's true, everyone remembers the tragic Dunblane tea shop massacre that brought about hand gun control :P

Was it Riddick?

Deleted
    Tea always has milk in it, you uncouth barbarian (unless green tea, in which case you do whatever you like)

We, the British, have decreed it thus, and thus it shall be

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    Tea always has milk in it, you uncouth barbarian (unless green tea, in which case you do whatever you like)

And, as everyone knows, the British invented tea.

Technically that was China, but we nicked Hong Kong off them for a century, so they can do one.

10+ Year Old Account
    And, as everyone knows, the British invented tea.

Technically that was China, but we nicked Hong Kong off them for a century, so they can do one.
    And many many delicious snacks that are accessory to tea. Like digestives.

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Was it Riddick?
    He had soup.

My good sir. It is highly dependant on the blend of tea. Earl Grey is to be served with neither milk nor sugar, but with a slice of lemon. I must say.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2016-04-19 at 03:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Originality and a little ironically, pureism are the new words of the day. In many ways, we've gone to an almost Japanese aesthetic in enjoying things simply and individually but with a flair that may only be called American. Tea is for everybody, not just wealthy land owners with cattle!
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    And many many delicious snacks that are accessory to tea. Like digestives.
    I had you down as more of a Hobnob man.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had you down as more of a Hobnob man.

Oh you! Honestly I love most biscuits from there. Hard to find them them in US unless you go to certain shops that import it like Indian stores. They tend to charge a lot for it though, so I usually make a care package whenever I visit to take back with me. Can't live without my Ribena at the very least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
    Oh you! Honestly I love most biscuits from there. Hard to find them them in US unless you go to certain shops that import it like Indian stores. They tend to charge a lot for it though, so I usually make a care package whenever I visit to take back with me. Can't live without my Ribena at the very least.
    Waitrose Blackcurrant High Juice, it is like Ribena but better. Ribena tastes like watered down crap to me now.