Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Dat quote!

Dont know about him but I sure did mix the two Hopefully the situation won't be as divided by the time Austria gets its general elections going. I mean this is a pretty nasty stalemate right here. By the way when are the elections due?
    2018 though they´re discussing to prepone them a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    I totally share that view with you. One of the best things I have done with my life is move to a small, neutral happy place tucked away from all the nastiness
    I agree. I'd take peace over power any day. :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Next elections are due 2018. And it could lead to some tensions, because the Freedom Party (which Hofer belongs to) leads in most polls with around 30%. Which means that normally, their leader Strache would become Chancellor and have to form a new government.
    However, Van der Bellen already said that he would not appoint a Chancellor Strache (one of the things the president has to do) - so he would basically tell the second strongest party to form a government. I can see this leading to problems and some people getting upset.
    That said, it's still more than two years and a lot can change. The FPÖ could very well lose it's favourite role if the current government finally starts doing their job.
    Well that is a pretty ridiculous statement for someone that's looking to "unify" the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    2018 though they´re discussing to prepone them a year.
    Is the current government not stable?

Deleted
    Well that is a pretty ridiculous statement for someone that's looking to "unify" the country.
    His argument is that he as a president has to keep the country from harm, and that in his opinion, Strache as a Chancellor would greatly harm the country - inside and when it comes to the relations with other nations.
    While I don't necessarily agree with just not appointing someone who got elected democratically, at least VdB made it clear from the beginning on - means, people who voted for him knew what they were voting for.

We will have to see what happens if the Freedom Party actually wins in two years.

"Not stable" might not be the right word. They really stood for stagnation in the past years - and the longer they are there, the more votes the two former big parties lose right now, and the stronger the FPÖ grows. They also changed a lot of people lately, so maybe they want to get an additional legitimation by the people by having the elections earlier.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2016-05-24 at 08:46 AM.

Deleted
    This trend is showing in many European countries.

Just wait for the next wave of terror attacks and many countries will see these parties win majorities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Our chancellor just got replaced last week. So you could say it´s not that stable, but we´ll see how he does. I have high hopes because he strikes me as someone who´s not too detached from the sorrows of the people. Still it´s a tricky situation and the far right are pretty good at convincing people that the situation is terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Both made that statement or something similiar. It is ridiculous and both also back tracked on these statements.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    This trend is showing in many European countries.

Just wait for the next wave of terror attacks and many countries will see these parties win majorities.
    You seem very enthusiastic for this to happen.

Deleted
    His argument is that he as a president has to keep the country from harm, and that in his opinion, Strache as a Chancellor would greatly harm the country - inside and when it comes to the relations with other nations.
    While I don't necessarily agree with just not appointing someone who got elected democratically, at least VdB made it clear from the beginning on - means, people who voted for him knew what they were voting for.

We will have to see what happens if the Freedom Party actually wins in two years.

"Not stable" might not be the right word. They really stood for stagnation in the past years - and the longer they are there, the more votes the two former big parties lose right now, and the stronger the FPÖ grows. They also changed a lot of people lately, so maybe they want to get an additional legitimation by the people by having the elections earlier.
    I really find the idea of someone, democratically elected being refused to fulfil the role people asked him to, somewhat controversial.
    Patronising even.
    "You plebes wouldn't know what's good for your country, I'm here to save you".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Our chancellor just got replaced last week. So you could say it´s not that stable, but we´ll see how he does. I have high hopes because he strikes me as someone who´s not too detached from the sorrows of the people. Still it´s a tricky situation and the far right are pretty good at convincing people that the situation is terrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Both made that statement or something similiar. It is ridiculous and both also back tracked on these statements.
    Aye ok cleared that then.

Deleted
    I really find the idea of someone, democratically elected being refused to fulfil the role people asked him to, somewhat controversial.
    Patronising even. "You plebes wouldn't know what's good for your country, I'm here to save you".
    Yup, I agree - I don't think it's good either. Like, personally, I certainly would not want a Chancellor Strache and a government lead by the Freedom Party since they would most certainly harm the country (if only with more corruption; we had a black-blue government around 2000 and it cost us a lot), but if they win the general election, they should get to do it.
    Like I said, we will have to see what happens if they actually manage to win 2018 (which is possible, but not guaranteed).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    You seem very enthusiastic for this to happen.
    Not at all. But that won't stop it from happening.

Even many of the people that would never vote for right wing parties will eventually do so out of fear.

15+ Year Old Account

Even many of the people that would never vote for right wing parties will eventually do so out of fear.
    Even if people would all vote right there would still be terrorism because extremists always find a group they want to be gone. The last major case of domestic terrorism in Austria was a mailbomber called Franz Fuchs. He was a weirdo who thought that minorities in Austria plan the de-population of ethnic Germans.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Even if people would all vote right there would still be terrorism because extremists always find a group they want to be gone. The last major case of domestic terrorism in Austria was a mailbomber called Franz Fuchs. He was a weirdo who thought that minorities in Austria plan the de-population of ethnic Germans.
    Weird how many posters in here share that view.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, I agree - I don't think it's good either. Like, personally, I certainly would not want a Chancellor Strache and a government lead by the Freedom Party since they would most certainly harm the country (if only with more corruption; we had a black-blue government around 2000 and it cost us a lot), but if they win the general election, they should get to do it.
    Like I said, we will have to see what happens if they actually manage to win 2018 (which is possible, but not guaranteed).
    Yes absolutely. You can recover from "choosing the wrong one". You can't recover from "not being allowed to choose". But that's my personal opinion there.

Deleted

Not everyone's response to terrorism is to vote for a fuckwitted neo-nazi.

15+ Year Old Account
    The comments on facebook under every other news article are cringe worthy. Drug dealers at a park in a district that voted almost 40% FPÖ last year are now what the city deserves because 60% of the City voted VdB.

Uh, ok.

Hofer in an interview: "We are one country and should work together."

Comments: Respect, overall positive, and the occasional election fraud posters.

VdB in an interview: "I want to be a president for everyone, let us work together for a brighter future, i will do everything in my power to close the gap between rich and poor."

Comments: You´re not my president. Fucking idiots who voted for this guy. and so on...

This is getting ridiculous.

Deleted
    Slight thread Necro - but looks like we are getting another round.
    The presidential poll result was just overturned by the court; the run-off vote has to be re-run entirely. ^^"

15+ Year Old Account
    It´s a bit ridiculous but eh, let´s vote again.

Deleted
    Ridiculous fucking bullshit.

By the way, calling this now: this election will be won decisively by Van der Bellen. The Austrian people don't want to be inconvenienced. The FPÖ inconvenienced them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    By the way, calling this now: this election will be won decisively by Van der Bellen. The Austrian people don't want to be inconvenienced. The FPÖ inconvenienced them.
    Eh, I am really not sure. It could swing both ways - Hofer voters will definitely go to the new round as well; the question is: Will VdB voters too, or can they not be bothered to vote again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post

Why bullshit? The vote was super close and there were irregularities found. If the outcome was affected it only makes sense to vote again, otherwise it's a fraud election.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, with sending their own party members to their doom i don´t think every hofer voter will be seeing him as a voice for the regular man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I'm sure he's posting here on MMOC now.
    Even if he was still alive, he would have a hard time, having no fingers and all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Why bullshit? The vote was super close and there were irregularities found. If the outcome was affected it only makes sense to vote again, otherwise it's a fraud election.
    They couldn´t find evidence for any wrong doing, just that wrong doing could´ve been possible.