Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[SPOILERS] Vol'jin in Legion

Major spoilers here:

Ok it's been confirmed that Vol'jin will indeed die in Legion expansion but what really surprised me why he appoints Sylvanas as the new Warchief? I mean Sylvanas? really? don't get me wrong I don't hate or anything like that in fact I think things will be more interesting for the Horde when she is the Warchief but I mean from the Horde point of view I think there are more better choices than Sylvanas? like Baine or Thrall? (It's very understandable why a lot of people don't want him back to be a Warchief) but I still think Baine or Thrall better choice than Sylvanas when it comes for the good of the Horde.

I am talking here about the well being and good of the Horde point of view I am not talking about my point of view. In my opinion Sylvanas as a Warchief will be fun and things will be dynamic and interesting from now on because let us be honest Vol'jin as a Warchief barely did anything.

Discuss please and thanks for reading.

It was confirmed? Where?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Baine is as assertive and decisive as wooden plank. Thrall is LARPing depression quest. Next question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    It was confirmed? Where?
    Returning back to Orgrimmar, Vol'jin is unable to heal himself. He dies as he appoints Sylvanas as the new Warchief. His body is then cremated outside the city.

This is what I read in wowpedia, I know it's not 100% reliable source but yeah still.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by My User Name View Post
    It was confirmed? Where?
    Beta and the reason is that Sylvanas is the best commander the horde has atm
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    Beta and the reason is that Sylvania is the best commander the horde has atm
    I agree with you but don't you think she has the potential to be more dangerous and worse than Garrosh?

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Returning back to Orgrimmar, Vol'jin is unable to heal himself. He dies as he appoints Sylvanas as the new Warchief. His body is then cremated outside the city.

This is what I read in wowpedia. I know it's not 100% reliable source but yeah still.
    Beta and the reason is that Sylvania is the best commander the horde has atm

Nah, it's true, he dies but there was a dialogue datamined months ago with Vol'jin and other Horde leaders (?). Vol'jin says he is going to visit an old friend and that time is probably when he appoints Sylvanas as Warchief. The dialogue is not in-game though there is a cinematic before Vol'jin funeral quest, so it might be explained there but I don't think > datamining < cinematic transcript from the game is possible. So... we'll have to see.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you but don't you think she has the potential to be more dangerous and worse than Garrosh?
    I would love if she gave in to evil and build aushwitz theme park.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Not really, she thinks before she acts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Yesssss, but she is filled with so much evil. Like a donut for obese person who tries to lose weight. Do you really believe she will resist call of EVIL ? Even as we speak now, she doesn't wash her hands.

This. She tends to really think things out before actually doing anything.

I think Vol'jin realizes that this is not the time to put honor and silly stuff like that over the survival of Azeroth. The Horde needs a pragmatic leader that knows what is necessary to get the job done.

Baine is a pansy whose tactics would surely amount to "have our army fight the Legion's army directly head on, resulting in huge casualties, but at least they will have died with honor, and we probably won't have enough people to combat whatever huge threat hits Azeroth right on schedule next year."

Lor'themar is a Blood Elf, and I doubt the rest of the Horde would like to follow him.

Gallywix isn't a military leader, he's a business one, and much more useful as a supporting lieutenant, overseeing things like production of war supplies like weapons, siege vehicles, and picking up Blackfuse's schematics and making a ton of shredder scorpion things.

Thrall has completely lost all former coolness he ever had that may have lingered after he followed his senile grandmother's advice based on his fever dream vision about his armor or the Doomhammer breaking or whatever and gave up being Warchief to Garrosh. He has no interest in leading or fighting, which is dumb. You'd think this would be the time when he picks his balls back up off the floor that have been there since Cataclysm, and fight to secure a future for his newborn and 1-year old kids.

Saurfang is a good fit for the Orcs, to set them back on the path of honor and all that jazz after Garrosh threw a monkey wrench into their culture that's had us backed into an orc-centric story corner of mud and logs and spikes and poop for almost 6 years. But he's getting on in years, and may not have control of all his faculties for long, if Drek'thar is any indication. He's there to lead the orcs, but not the entire Horde. He has experience leading armies like he did in Silithus, but that was a while ago. Vol'jin probably didn't choose him because of his age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas is flavor of the month, lets give her a go because the story demands it, blah blah blah seen it before.

This storytelling is as convoluted as x-men stories in recent years. I think the thing that surprises me really is how while lets say the humans even with varian dying still have human characters to support it, like Auduin, Genn and even Jaina, and while the orcs have characters like Saurfang and Rexxar and Thrall and maybe even an alternative timeline durotan and draka if really called for, with the trolls, outside of vol'jin, who does the trolls even have as a strong heroic character to get behind? The trolls lost pretty much everything with vol'jin, and now are right back at being the gnomes of the horde, only worse off because the gnomes still have its one and only notable character leader.

The alliance humans can go on without varian since it has the next in line, the trolls really don't have and never have had anything else, no developed characters. And giving a whole novel to vol'jin just to off him, well, who knows, given blizzard have done it with illidan, if they would bring one of them back.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2016-07-25 at 12:12 AM.

She's an excellent strategist (lore-wise) and supposedly it seems as if - although we need the cutscenes to be introduced to fill in the gaps - she is responsible for the Horde not being completely wiped out at the Broken Shore when she abandoned them.

But I just want to mention my prediction on all of this. From a narrative standpoint, I'm pretty damn sure Vol'jin will be returning. His entire motto, "Darkspear never die", combined with the fact that we don't see his body and the fact that he faked his own death once makes me strongly believe he's still alive. His rule was entirely too short and a surprise return at a crucial moment would likely endear him to a huge part of the community. Sylvanas simply doesn't fit as Warchief of a Horde who almost universally dislikes her, as much as I personally think she's a much more interesting leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    She's an excellent strategist (lore-wise) and supposedly it seems as if - although we need the cutscenes to be introduced to fill in the gaps - she is responsible for the Horde not being completely wiped out at the Broken Shore when she abandoned them.

But I just want to mention my prediction on all of this. From a narrative standpoint, I'm pretty damn sure Vol'jin will be returning. His entire motto, "Darkspear never die", combined with the fact that we don't see his body and the fact that he faked his own death once makes me strongly believe he's still alive. His rule was entirely too short and a surprise return at a crucial moment would likely endear him to a huge part of the community. Sylvanas simply doesn't fit as Warchief of a Horde who almost universally dislikes her, as much as I personally think she's a much more interesting leader.
    See that would make sense, vol'jin just seems like the kind of character to do that, given he sort of did it before, and his whole shtick is with the troll death god.
    Varian I can't imagine would have had that kind of strategy, given what we saw in the auduin short, but vol'jin we don't know. I was never happy with him being warcraft, but the trolls still need someone to stand in as their respected leader.

Why would Voljin lie to us? you know, the same dudes that were there when he faked his 1rst death??

think the same. imo voljin died a calculated death. to become a loa-like spirit voodoo ghostworld something blah blah and meet "an old friend" on "the other side". something along the lines of "zul xyz" comin back, is resseructed and unite all troll clans after 35363735253 years.

imagine a point in Legion (or next xpac) where all hope is lost (like at mount hyjal in the WotA), and you look through the dust on the hills and see the shadows of hundreds and thousands of trolls, united, on the horizon. and some one says "voljin. he did it. they are here.".

something along that lines.

even blizz (and they really suck at lore these days) did, for my taste, to less with him, and he faded too fast and silent away. so i suspect something like above is planed for him. hopefully.

dont forget: he is a shadow hunter. he acts out of the shadows. whats a better story than something above for a true shadow hunter?
    Last edited by Niwes; 2016-07-25 at 12:41 AM.

Thrall is having an emo breakdown and Baine is delusional. The only viable alternative is Lor'themar, but given his recent history, the moment some of his scouts die because of their sucking at scouting he'll once again go full retard and try to join, I dunno, N'zoth.

Deleted
    Not sure how you fake burning his body at a pyre lol but okay, tin foil hatters.

I would've much preferred to see Vol'jin go to the Zandalari for help and we'd get another troll patch at 7.2 or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinsla View Post
    Not sure how you fake burning his body at a pyre lol but okay, tin foil hatters.

I would've much preferred to see Vol'jin go to the Zandalari for help and we'd get another troll patch at 7.2 or something.
    Yeah, was gonna say, now reading ahead, the whole thing of him being M.I.A was changed, the scene now has him return to orgrimmar and die from his wounds, and his body cremated.

That changes things. I guess the trolls are without a leader now.