Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

25,000 ft No Parachute Jump

http://bigstory.ap.org/ed35e61ffd97457bae2eb11bf8218a35

Professional skydiver Luke Aikins, who has 10's of thousands of jumps under his belt, and has been involved in the training of US Navy SEALs, is planning a jump for this evening where he will jump from a plane, without the aid of a parachute, and attempt to land in a net, about 100x100ft.

Not sure if anyone has seen anything on this stunt that is taking place today. Interesting to say the least.

Last edited by Shadoweye; 2016-07-30 at 05:56 PM.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

Tens of thousands of jumps? That's like 3 jumps per day for 20 years at minimum. I call BS.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Tens of thousands of jumps? That's like 3 jumps per day for 20 years at minimum. I call BS.

Not sure where he is getting 10's from.

Article only says thousands.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Skydiver Luke Aikins figures his next leap into thin air will start pretty much like the thousands that preceded it, only with one small but significant difference: This time when he steps out of the plane at 25,000 feet he won't take his parachute with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't the acceleration shred him to bits?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope natural selection reminds me of its existence shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Mostly from a bio, that doesnt have complete and full log book of his jumps. This profile was last updated over 4 years ago.

parachutistonline.com/columns/profiles/luke-aikins-d-21189

Total Number of Jumps: Estimate 15,000-plus (logbook is very poor)
    FS: 4,000
    Camera: 3,000
    Swoop: 3,000
    Freefly: 2,500
    Tandem: 2,000
    Accuracy: 1,500
    Demo: 1,000
    CF: 700
    Wingsuit: 300
    BASE: 130
    So it wont include all of the jumps in the past 4 years, which include all the prep for this jump.
    Last edited by Shadoweye; 2016-07-30 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Wouldn't the acceleration shred him to bits?
    I think terminal velocity for a human is only around 100mph. And he definitely knows how to manipulate it if it's his profession.

That is one way to commit suicide I suppose...Crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    When you watch documentaries about these people, like Jeb Corliss for example, and others, it becomes completely clear that they're not all there. "Adrenaline junkie" doesn't really even cover it. They push themselves until they die, or at least almost die. Jeb smashed in the side of a mountain and broke his body and got a moment, as he was falling towards his death, to decide whether to pull the cord or not. Nowadays he's at least trying to reign in his...this, whatever it is, that causes these people to try and almost kill themselves. Obsession.

Although, I have a feeling this guy is going to succeed. In dying, I mean.

While people have survived falls of greater than 15,000 feet without any parachute, I'm not sure how wise it is to do so intentionally. I do hope someone checked his math.

I think somebody's going to die today......

Deleted
    Wonder how he's going to aim without a wingsuit. Or maybe he will have one; the article didn't mention it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    When you watch documentaries about these people, like Jeb Corliss for example, and others, it becomes completely clear that they're not all there. "Adrenaline junkie" doesn't really even cover it. They push themselves until they die, or at least almost die. Jeb smashed in the side of a mountain and broke his body and got a moment, as he was falling towards his death, to decide whether to pull the cord or not. Nowadays he's at least trying to reign in his...this, whatever it is, that causes these people to try and almost kill themselves. Obsession.

Although, I have a feeling this guy is going to succeed. In dying, I mean.
    Well... there are people out there that say you feel the most alive the moments before you die. Maybe they are just looking for that moment of life?

I hope he wears his brown pants.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

Wonder how he's going to aim without a wingsuit. Or maybe he will have one; the article didn't mention it though.
    I dont believe he is. I saw a video yesterday? That showed him with just a regular jump suit. Ill see if i can find it again.

Found it, gonna update the OP.
    Last edited by Shadoweye; 2016-07-30 at 05:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoweye View Post
    Well... there are people out there that say you feel the most alive the moments before you die. Maybe they are just looking for that moment of life?
    What they feel are chemicals in the brain. Not just adrenaline, but a whole cocktail of them. Which is why the term "adrenaline junkie" is completely accurate. How ever, it doesn't explain all of it; they're not physically addicted to anything, and usually addicts are that way because their surroundings and circumstances. These people though, they often seem to have money, a great health, even some fame, and so on. A lot of options to do a lot of things. Yet they choose to flirt with death. There's something mental going on there, and it's kind of sad that it's then made into a spectacle where a guy will paint the ground red with his blood and guts.

He won't.
    I read in another article that they did testing and one dummy ended up 'dead', through the netting.

I think he will survive, but probably badly hurt

What time is the live stream? I wanna see the maiming.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    What time is the live stream? I wanna see the maiming.
    Its not a true live stream, it's delayed. Which is a party pooper.

7+ Year Old Account
    There's a word I'm looking for here...

KERSPLAT!

Ah, yes.