Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin says bloodshed may be needed to protect conservatism

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin says bloodshed may be needed to protect conservatism

Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin said conservatives may need to turn to physical violence in order to protect the United States against contemporary liberalism.

The Republican governor put forth the controversial suggestion after speaking of the “degradation of society” during an impassioned, 15-minute speech at the Values Voter Summit in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. The provocative comments started to gain national attention at the start of this week.

“America is worth fighting for ideologically. I want us to be able to fight ideologically, mentally, spiritually, economically, so that we don’t have to do it physically. But that may, in fact, be the case,” he told the crowd.

Bevin suggested that if Democrat Hillary Clinton were elected president, she would set the nation on a dangerous course that might require bloodshed to correct. He told the audience that the “candle” of liberty might go out “on our watch.”

To hammer home his point, he paraphrased a famous quote from Founding Father Thomas Jefferson: “The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”

“Whose blood will be shed? It may be that of those in this room. It might be that of our children and grandchildren. I have nine children,” he said. “It breaks my heart to think that it might be their blood that is needed to redeem something, to reclaim something that we, through our apathy and our indifference, have given away. Don’t let it happen.”

Bevin encouraged young conservatives to speak up, be bold, sound the alarm and wake up others. He told the conference attendees to not keep what they’ve learned from speakers and their books to themselves.

According to Bevin, too many people these days are following the example of former British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, who infamously tried to appease Adolf Hitler and promised “peace for our time,” as opposed to his successor, Winston Churchill, who is widely celebrated for understanding and combating the threat of Nazism.

He said liberals mock conservatives into silence by accusing them of being intolerant when they speak their minds. He lamented, for instance, that many conservatives have remained silent concerning “the atrocity of abortion.”

“It’s a slippery slope. First we’re killing children. Then it’s ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ Now it’s this gender-bending kind of ‘don’t ask, don’t be a bigot, don’t be unreasonable, don’t be unenlightened, heaven forbid, just keep your mouth shut.’”

On Friday, at a banquet in Washington, D.C., Bevin was awarded the Distinguished Christian Statesman Award from the D. James Kennedy Center for Christian Statesmanship, a ministry of Evangelism Explosion International.

Bevin’s office has not responded to a request for comment from Yahoo News, but he did post a statement on Twitter encouraging people to listen to his comments in their entirety. He suggested that the mention of bloodshed in his remarks was a reference to military sacrifice and that “any intelligent person will easily understand the message” if they listen to the speech.
    Translation: Kentucky governor says we need bloodshed to stop LGBT people and abortions.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds like a charming fellow

To make it worse,
    When asked Monday to clarify his comments, Bevin indicated they were about military sacrifice.
    If one means the military, they should not invoke "whose blood will it be" as a rhetorical question.

Massive tool goes on an incoherent rant with dubious metaphors.

The Justice Department needs to start prosecuting these elected GOP nutjobs and charging them with sedition when they make these kinds of comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how it's always other people's blood that needs to be shed. When he thinks of whose blood needs to be shed, who comes to mind? His kids. What a great guy: Hillary needs to die and who needs to go get her? Me? You? Oh no, our kids! Yeah! Lets send our kids to die for our war! So sad, but if the cost is blood, might as well be theirs!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

USA, where it's patriotic to idolize secessionists traitors and/or threaten to foment an insurrection...

7+ Year Old Account
    Jeez where do they find these guys to run for governor?

I'm a pretty arch-conservative, arch-constitutionalist, and without hesitation I say that there can be no legitimacy to any sort of revolution/rebellion/insurrection as long as there is still constitutional remedy. In context, that means unless or until an Article V convention has been held and its proposals given fair hearing, no constitution-loving American could justify taking up arms against their government.

Sure, let's send his friends and family first.

the old guard of the PC police whinging about the newer version, delicious.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's more frightening is how such radicals get into office. Many adjacent Indiana and Tennessee politicians are just as bad. It's fine to have political differences and that's what our government is built on, but politicians encouraging violence against people that oppose their own personal beliefs goes against everything fundamental with democracy and our system of government. The US is based on working out compromise and living together. It's not if you go against my personal radical beliefs then raise up arms. And don't let people with a loud FB page or access to a microphone make you think there are more people that believe this radical apocalyptic hateful nonsense than there really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    I'm a pretty arch-conservative, arch-constitutionalist, and without hesitation I say that there can be no legitimacy to any sort of revolution/rebellion/insurrection as long as there is still constitutional remedy. In context, that means unless or until an Article V convention has been held and its proposals given fair hearing, no constitution-loving American could justify taking up arms against their government.
    That's because conservatism =/= constitutionalism. You can be a liberal constitutionalist, a conservative constitutionalist, or a whatever else constitutionalist. This notion that conservatism has some kind of default monopoly on constitutionalism and patriotism is how we reached the point where it has become roughly acceptable for conservatives to make statements like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The Justice Department needs to start prosecuting these elected GOP nutjobs and charging them with sedition when they make these kinds of comments.
    Imagine a Muslim Democrat giving a speech saying that we may need to violently overthrow conservatives to save liberalism.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Imagine a Muslim Democrat giving a speech saying that we may need to violently overthrow conservatives to save liberalism.
    I imagine the Justice Department cracking down on them too. Because I imagine a country where promoting violence against others for a difference in opinion is a crime.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    The US has freedom of speech rights. Threatening an idea is protected, as opposed to threatening specific people.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-10-17 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The US has freedom of speech rights. Threatening an idea is protected, as opposed to threatening people.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedition

The US has freedom of speech rights. Threatening an idea is protected, as opposed to threatening people.
    Unless you are Muslim, because then the government decides in secret to execute you without trial.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I imagine the Justice Department cracking down on them too. Because I imagine a country where promoting violence against others for a difference in opinion is a crime.
    Is this where someone chimes in with either "Muslims aren't American", "Muslims aren't people", or "The Constitution only applies to Real Americans(tm)" followed by Muh Freedumbs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any evidence he broke the law?

Yes, because advocating usurping the government, and I'm willing to bet in front of a crowd waving the flag of traitors, is ''patriotic''

Oh, please, come tell me ''dumb SJW, it's not traitorous at all to talk about executing the POTUS or assaulting Fort Sumter, kauze it's my side doing it''.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-10-17 at 01:30 AM.

Do you have any evidence he broke the law?
    His quotes?
    -ynnady