Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Saying something does not overclock well, based on results from shitty boards is quite stupid. The X series chips appear to very overclockable.
    Based on what? These guys appear to have a bunch of chips and boards, what do you have that shows anything to the contrary?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Saying something does not overclock well, based on results from shitty boards is quite stupid. The X series chips appear to very overclockable.
    Gibbo used top-tier boards for his 1700 OC tests

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Gibbo used top-tier boards for his 1700 OC tests
    Hence the "X-series" comment. With that said, even if they do not OC quite as well, the performance difference is small, and the cost difference is huge between AMD and Intel.

15+ Year Old Account
    99,99% of people purchasing processors don't have any interest on overclocking nor do give any value to it; so judging the success of a product based on its' overclocking capabilities is absolutely pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    99,99% of people purchasing processors don't have any interest on overclocking nor do give any value to it; so judging the success of a product based on its' overclocking capabilities is absolutely pointless.
    *Citation needed.

why would you care about 99.99% of people and not about yourself ?

besides better OC translates into higher stock frequencies too

thats not the case because BW-E is crap, but it will definitely be seen on Skylake-X and Coffee Lake

8800K 6c/12t with 4.3-4.4 stock boost ? ^^

Overclocking is like mythic raiding.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Overclocking is so easy to do now. You don't have to dick around with voltage, multipliers, timings, and general trial and error for stability. You hit like three buttons and you pat yourself on the back. Anyone who has a processor and motherboard which can overclock and are using anything but stock cooling are either misinformed about the degradation boogeyman or aren't aware of the benefits it provides.

AMD has treated it as a baseline feature for some time. In fact, I believe some Ryzen lines will ship with Wraith coolers which are on par with the CM 212 so you'd have some OC functionality right out of the box so long as you buy a B350 or above board.

I'm more interested in the 1600x. 6/12 with a 4ghz boost seems like it'll be the sweet spot for price to performance but that won't be until Q2 since they rely on poorly binned 8/16s.

I'm even doubly interested if those 6/12s will have some kind of backdoor to enable the additional cores like the Phenom X2 550 BE turning in to a X4 B40.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-02-24 at 02:35 AM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Actually, new info on 1600X shows it has 3.6/4GHz.

Unless the gaming world really takes a leap into the multi-thread world I still don't see a huge reason to upgrade from my 3770k. Just get more out of sinking my bucks into video cards to play higher end games. But what I care about most is finally with some competition Intel will stop being shitty capitalist and actually start to compete again, AMD will do the same, and then we can get a old fashion processor shot out again. Wins for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Unless the gaming world really takes a leap into the multi-thread world I still don't see a huge reason to upgrade from my 3770k. Just get more out of sinking my bucks into video cards to play higher end games. But what I care about most is finally with some competition Intel will stop being shitty capitalist and actually start to compete again, AMD will do the same, and then we can get a old fashion processor shot out again. Wins for everyone.
    We are slowly getting there, but for the next year or two, nope probably not worth it to go past 4 physical cores purely for gaming. Though more "cores" in the market, equals to Game devs actually having incentive to code with multithreading in mind.

Newest slides show 1600X @ 4.0 boost, but its probably used up a good chunk of its air OC potential already to get there

10+ Year Old Account
    From a cost perspective, I think this will be a huge success for AMD.

Overclocking aside, for US$500 for a CPU, you get Intel US$1000 performance.

I have a haswell 3.4GHz~3.8GHz i5 and although I run a corsair water-cooler - which keeps my PC silent, I've never seen the need to ever overclock and I play on 1440p or 4k. My 1080GTX runs pretty much everything adequately - even down-scaling video to 1080p from 4k and encoding at the same time for youtube works fine too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I think I disagree with you on the degradation point (as I'm not sure if you're saying it's a real thing or not). It is a real thing to consider, but it only starts to be a concern if you're pumping much higher voltages through than is recommended (thinking along the lines of 0.2V above what would be considered the safe max according to spec). It's definitely not worth worrying about for anyone who's on anything less than a 250W+ peltier setup (or LN2, or a chilled water cooling setup) and are just overclocking as much as they can for the hell of it.
    What I meant by being misinformed are those who think that overclocking in general means that instead of their processor lasting x years now only lasts a fraction of that time regardless of how much information or explanation you provide. I have a friend who has a K series processor and a Z series board with a damn Noctua U12S strapped on to it yet he is dead set on not touching anything because he firmly believes that even the auto-overclocking feature will kill his processor "super fast" and performance gains are not worth it.

Degradation is real but some seem to use it as a silver bullet against overclocking at any level.

Manually overclocking requires more knowledge and is dangerous if you're not sure about what you're doing but with the amount of pro-overclocking tools featured with Motherboards I'm assuming a fair chunk of overclockers go with the safer auto route which won't cook your system and gives decent results. It can be a little generous on voltage at which point you can either manually lower it or you can simply not worry about it because you'll likely replace the CPU long before the CPU shows signs of failure.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-02-24 at 02:07 PM.

as far as Im concerned if you dont drastically overvolt (at most ~10% above your VID ? most of the time less than that) and your max temps in torture tests are all at least firmly below throttling temps (which means they are even lower and safer in games) - nothing can go wrong for you

if you push higher voltages then that then you need water cooling/CLU/delid etc., the works, and also know wtf you're doing

at least for Intel chips, I havent owned an AMD CPU for 10+ years now, ever since upgrading to E6750 (and I had that for 7 whole years lol)
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-02-24 at 02:02 PM.

Do we need to wait til the 2nd to see reviews as well? That would be kinda odd if so.

Great news! Not sure I'll be buying another AMD CPU, but always thrilled when there is solid competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    By now, who cares about these tiny CPU increases since 2010...We have reached the point where we just cant make things smaller / transistors. Bring on Quantum computing
    All they can mostly do now is increase the cores, increase instructions/sec with more efficient pipelining and put neural nets on the hardware that second guesses the software, it's like squeezing blood from a stone. I can see the first megacore CPU in a couple of decades but what's the point? Once you start to simulate things perfectly the fun is gone and there's not even a reason to do the real thing, why even go outside?

I cant believe we dont have reviews yet. We have no idea how fast of memory to buy even, we have a few leaks from people but thats it. I could see a ton of people ordering 3000 or 3200 mhz ram just to get it and they can only run it at 2666, simply because the higher speed ram is the same price as the slow stuff right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I cant believe we dont have reviews yet. We have no idea how fast of memory to buy even, we have a few leaks from people but thats it. I could see a ton of people ordering 3000 or 3200 mhz ram just to get it and they can only run it at 2666, simply because the higher speed ram is the same price as the slow stuff right now.
    I believe the NDA lifts on the 28th so, until then, we only have the spotty-at-best information which leaked from Canard PC to go off of which used a slower engineering sample.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-02-24 at 07:49 PM.