Thread: Frost vs Unholy

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question Frost vs Unholy

Ok I really enjoy playing frost (have since WotLK hit & even DW frost tanked until blood because the tank spec). When I do LFR or group finder, all I see are unholy DKs and remember hearing from guildies how unholy is better than frost by a far margin. Is this still the case or is frost viable in pve now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost started pretty shit during Tos but it gets constantly better and better with buffs, ilvl/weapon damage improvement and tier sets. By the time the new raid hits it will probably trail only a couple percentages behind unholy on single target, but the sustained aoe and cleave will be superior.

Bear in mind also that unholy has better burst, double grip and movement speed overall, while frost has the nifty AMS debuff removal and aoe stun every ~45 secs.

Tldr: play what you like most. If you aren't competing for world firsts, any spec will be more than fine. Heck even competing for those frost might prove acceptable.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-09-27 at 10:58 AM.

In raiding where your team is counting on your performance, play Unholy. If you can under perform and be carried in your raids, play frost. I like frost better, but it just does not put up the single target numbers.

7+ Year Old Account
    My question is what is better dps, an averagely played unholy DK or very well played frost?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    My question is what is better dps, an averagely played unholy DK or very well played frost?
    Well played frost. Also the new tier is going to put frost ahead of UH imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    In a raid ? Right now, it's pretty difficult for Frost to be better. They're really far behind.
    In M+ ? Definitely Frost.

7+ Year Old Account
    what about PVP? im main warrior since cata and never fully played with others classes, so im tyring new things

i always liked more frost 2H but since they remove the option i am more inclined to Unholy, they are doing good?
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2017-09-27 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    what about PVP? im main warrior since cata and never fully played with others classes, so im tyring new things

i always liked more frost 2H but since they remove the option i am more inclined to Unholy, they are doing good?
    Frost is amazing in PvP. More survivabilty and burst windows more often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost is amazing in pvp right now and mythic+. I love the playstyle and CDs being so short with no down time in your rotation, unless you are progressing mythic raids you should just use what you enjoy. I have respectable dps in raid but it could be better on single target where UH is gonna probably smash you but ilvl are so inflated right now you could get away with frost in heroics raid as well and just be carried a bit.

Upcoming update seems to put them much closer

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unholy is amazing dps if you do not fuck up your rotation. Which sadly I tend to do because by heart I am a frost player. But I changed at start of Tomb because of all the moment etc. But last night was 1st run where I played frost again. And I have been keeping loot for it as we progressed and though damage was not INSANE by any means. My dps was still decent 1.1+mil sustain most fights (with soaking, doing mechanics etc). My burst is crazy though. Start fight with pot, Lust and dropping all my cooldowns doing 2.2+mil. AoE fight like Mistress or Harjatan those are where you see awesome numbers if you run Soul of Deathlord ring . And that is good enough for me. With ilvls and the buffs frost got I am happy with its performance. Sure we are not top performers at all but its good enough for me and at least I enjoy play it.

I mean if your only doing normal/heroic you can pretty much play whatever you like, despite what some people on the forums might tell you. I'd probably keep playing unholy over frost because I prefer unholy's playstyle,but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Well played frost. Also the new tier is going to put frost ahead of UH imo.
    With similar gear/weapon level/bis legendarys I got Unholy and Frost very close together.

940 gear in both specs, 66 weapons and all legendarys:

Unholy only beats Frost for me, if I can land the last DA short before the fight ends.
    -

if you are not pushing for world / server first clears play what you enjoy, both specs perform good enough to clear current content.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Not to forget that Frost is a bit easier to play then UH, which is great if you want to focus on general mechanics more.

7+ Year Old Account
    Theyre both really close afaik, so the only choice then is Unholy cos its infinitely more interesting to play :P

Not to be rude, but why does it matter for someone who does LFR? Why not play what you enjoy the most? It's not like you are pushing into Mythic and actually need the extra DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Not to be rude, but why does it matter for someone who does LFR? Why not play what you enjoy the most? It's not like you are pushing into Mythic and actually need the extra DPS.
    Think of it like playing amateur football. You still wanna be good even though you're not in the NFL right?

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Think of it like playing amateur football. You still wanna be good even though you're not in the NFL right?
    No, I would do it because I found it fun. Performing 10% better but playing something I don't find fun is really out of the question.

I'm a HC raider, and would never play a spec solely based on the performance, simply because it isn't needed. I do after all play this game for one thing - fun. Now, if I was pushing Mythic I would jump over to the spec that performs best, sim every damn piece I get etc (been there done all that). But it simply isn't needed for anything under mythic.

Though for some people, performing their best is what is fun, in that case UH trumps Frost in both aspects.

(Not saying UH is a boring spec, I love it and have played it whole Legion even when it was in the dumpster of all the specs. Just play what YOU feel is the most fun, if it is fun because of playstyle, performance or lore or w/e, is up to you)
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    No, I would do it because I found it fun. Performing 10% better but playing something I don't find fun is really out of the question.

I'm a HC raider, and would never play a spec solely based on the performance, simply because it isn't needed. I do after all play this game for one thing - fun. Now, if I was pushing Mythic I would jump over to the spec that performs best, sim every damn piece I get etc (been there done all that). But it simply isn't needed for anything under mythic.

Though for some people, performing their best is what is fun, in that case UH trumps Frost in both aspects.

(Not saying UH is a boring spec, I love it and have played it whole Legion even when it was in the dumpster of all the specs. Just play what YOU feel is the most fun, if it is fun because of playstyle, performance or lore or w/e, is up to you)
    You're talking to someone who plays Assa on his Rogue, Fire on his Mage and Frost on his DK. I see where you're coming from. But as you said some people do prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    You're talking to someone who plays Assa on his Rogue, Fire on his Mage and Frost on his DK. I see where you're coming from. But as you said some people do prefer it.
    That is true. I got friends who reroll simply because their class get nerfed.. I don't get it to be honest, as we're only raiding HC, and the guild is rather bad so it's not hard to be top 5 on the dmg chart no matter what we play, lol.