Page 48 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Why is that an acceptable response, though? "They're not competent, but at least they aren't those other guys."

I just find it really, really silly. And frustrating. Hence my desire for a self-destruct button so both sides can try and make something actually respectable out of themselves.

I'm a daydreamer.
    The better way is not self destruction but reform you have to remember the collateral damage of this destruction will be the american people, the rich will benefit either way. First we need to get money out of politics starting with citizens united that was the point where it all started to go further downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Are they, though? In what regard are they objectively better?
    I've already covered this topic with you, a few posts before. You chose to ignore it.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    I've already covered this topic with you, a few posts before. You chose to ignore it.
    I didn't ignore it. But ultimately, the positions you mentioned prior are still subjectively better/worse - no matter how awful they seem to you, or even a majority.

Why is that an acceptable response, though? "They're not competent, but at least they aren't those other guys."

I just find it really, really silly. And frustrating. Hence my desire for a self-destruct button so both sides can try and make something actually respectable out of themselves.

I'm a daydreamer.
    No. I'm not trying to say that. I'm trying to say that i'm fucking tired of people equating both sides, when they're clearly not equal. One side is worse. Period. This sh*t of false equivalency and trying to cater to the center of the conversation is really bad for all politics.
    One side policies do not acknowledge AGW. That's fucking bad
    One side policies systemically attack people of color/lgbt people/women
    One side policies have made the concentration of wealth actually worse (trickle down and reaganomics)

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't ignore it. But ultimately, the positions you mentioned prior are still subjectively better/worse - no matter how awful they seem to you, or even a majority.
    You did. Ignoring AGW is objectively bad. Only if you're a conservative that live on an alternate reality, where facts and actual data doesnt matter, you can say that is not a shitty leg to stand on.
    Also, worsening the wealth gap is also bad. Objectively bad. Like, a stupid economic policy. If you wanna see how a randian society ends, play bioshock 1.
    Like, almost all of the GOP policies are bad policies for the vast majority of americans, and even for the rest of the planet.

Deleted
    Like, almost all of the GOP policies are bad policies for the vast majority of americans, and even for the rest of the planet.
    That doesn't make them objectively bad, though. In order for a political position to be objectively better, there has to be no chance of something ever providing the better/more desirable outcome for anyone - neither short nor long term. Even if something is bad for the vast majority of people, it might still be good/better for some - and is thus seen as more preferable by them. Which adds a subjective factor to it.

Unless you consider everything objectively better that's simply backed by the majority, or the more compassionate/nice approach of course.

One side policies do not acknowledge AGW. That's fucking bad
    That point I will give you, though. There's not much to argue here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly? I think both parties deserve what they got. Let the shitshow that is the Trump presidency force reform for both parties so we can push the reset button.

Or maybe just the self-destruct button.
    AHAHAHAHA, thinking Trump's antics will bring about any kind of reform, oh that's a good one. *Wipes tear away from eye*
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't make them objectively bad, though. In order for a political position to be objectively better, there has to be no chance of something ever providing the better/more desirable outcome for anyone - neither short nor long term. Even if something is bad for the vast majority of people, it might still be good/better for some - and is thus seen as more preferable by them. Which adds a subjective factor to it.

Unless you consider everything objectively better that's simply backed by the majority, or the more compassionate/nice approach of course.

That point I will give you, though. There's not much to argue here.
    Is that really worth harping on? If he said that it was objectively worse for the vast majority of Americans, does the very few remaining, justify the semantics of them being part of the whole? Unless this is some sort of chemistry or cooking, I think saying you have all the eggs from a carton, would be find... even if it’s just 11 of the 12...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Is that really worth harping on? If he said that it was objectively worse for the vast majority of Americans, does the very few remaining, justify the semantics of them being part of the whole? Unless this is some sort of chemistry or cooking, I think saying you have all the eggs from a carton, would be find... even if it’s just 11 of the 12...
    I mean, Reaganomics are good... if you're part of the 1%, and only for a while. If the gini distribution gets too high, it ultimately affects even the super rich (because there're less people that can buy your stuff, your country is less safe, and there's also the problem of a possible revolution).

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, Reaganomics are good... if you're part of the 1%, and only for a while. If the gini distribution gets too high, it ultimately affects even the super rich (because there're less people that can buy your stuff, your country is less safe, and there's also the problem of a possible revolution).
    I am probably misunderstanding, because that sounds like a Tijuana argument. I don’t see a problem with the side effect of everyone beneath them doing better, is also the top doing better. I think that’s what would happen... I think that is the point... everyone benefits...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b37054f52401
    Fuck this guy with a giant stick up his arse. Your POTUS is human trash.
    No surprise there. He has proven time and time again he is one of the worst people around right now. He did the same thing with Nazis and white supremacists months ago and now he's doing it here. When people are doing terrible things that support him he suddenly decides now's the time for a vow of silence, but as soon as it's someone else he opens his mouth faster than people shouting "answers" on The Price is Right.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0b37054f52401
    Fuck this guy with a giant stick up his arse. Your POTUS is human trash.
    The last time Trump opened his mouth on Roy Moore he got burned fairly badly in supporting Luther Strange. Of course he's going to keep his mouth shut. McConnell and other Republicans denouncing Moore have only helped the scumbag in Alabama.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...-senate-244906

There’s frustration with McConnell in some corners of the White House. Three administration officials said the leader erred by publicly calling for Moore to drop out, saying all it did was give the beleaguered candidate more grist to portray himself as a victim of a Republican Party establishment trying to run him out of the race.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Are they, though? In what regard are they objectively better?
    Well, for starters they are not proposing cutting taxes on the rich while raising them on those earning between 10k-75k, which could not be more regressive even if you tried. Then there's the whole enviromental policy, subsidies to renewables and alike while reps continue to push for further deregulation like allowing companies to dump waste on rivers and regulations in general Dems have always been better at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    The last time Trump opened his mouth on Roy Moore he got burned fairly badly in supporting Luther Strange. Of course he's going to keep his mouth shut.
    I'll agree that Trump has zero good choices, but the thing is, that's his own damn fault. Bannon's pet Moore running for Senate is 100% coat-tails.

So while Trump might think staying quiet about Moore is somehow going to help...anyone, what's actually the case is, it only doesn't hurt him immediately as badly as the other two. And, since now he's denounced Franken -- and made up facts, such as "more pictures exist" on top of that -- what should have been his least bad choice became yet another hypocritical mess. And he can't blame anyone but himself for that.

The last time Trump opened his mouth on Roy Moore he got burned fairly badly in supporting Luther Strange. Of course he's going to keep his mouth shut. McConnell and other Republicans denouncing Moore have only helped the scumbag in Alabama.

It's cute that you believe Trump would be timid because he got "burned" by supporting Moore's opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'll agree that Trump has zero good choices, but the thing is, that's his own damn fault. Bannon's pet Moore running for Senate is 100% coat-tails.

So while Trump might think staying quiet about Moore is somehow going to help...anyone, what's actually the case is, it only doesn't hurt him immediately as badly as the other two. And, since now he's denounced Franken -- and made up facts, such as "more pictures exist" on top of that -- what should have been his least bad choice became yet another hypocritical mess. And he can't blame anyone but himself for that.
    just ask Legitimate Rape Akin what a good choice is.

And honestly you do have a god dam good moral choice and just say that ''Moore is a god dam pedophile and if you support and defend a pedophile then you are probably a pedophile as well''.

The fact that right-wing politicians are afraid of their own base because their voters have abandoned anything remotely moral should be a wake-up call for the GOP. Instead of trying to strengthen this deplorabel behaviour (which Trump has done) the GOP as a whole needs to combat this. Sure it will be a hard sell to their donor base in that they might lose a vote or two but in the end they will be better off.

Trump's line is let the people decide, he isn't stepping away from Moore.

Trump 2020 - Pedophiles are fine people as long they are republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    And honestly you do have a god dam good moral choice
    That might be the moral choice, but
    a) it exposes him as a hypocrite, you know, pussy-grabbing and all
    b) it risks the GOP a Senate seat, and
    c) it further estranges him from Bannon.

It might be the moral choice, but it still damages him and his position.

No sympathy. He did this on purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Trump's line is let the people decide, he isn't stepping away from Moore.

Trump 2020 - Pedophiles are fine people as long they are republicans.
    Funny thing, let the people decide. He lost by 3 million votes and still got into the White House.

You forgot they can still claim moral high ground, "I repented, said I was sorry, and everything is fine now! "
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I am probably misunderstanding, because that sounds like a Tijuana argument. I don’t see a problem with the side effect of everyone beneath them doing better, is also the top doing better. I think that’s what would happen... I think that is the point... everyone benefits...
    Im agreeing with you though. High inequality is bad, even for the rich people, and tax cuts for the top 1% contribute to said inequality.

10+ Year Old Account
    The non-Hannity portion of FOX News wants nothing to do with this.

Fox News host on Moore: 'I would kick his head in if it was one of my daughters'

Fox News host Brian Kilmeade blasted Roy Moore (R) on Friday after a woman accused the Alabama Senate candidate of calling her at her high school to ask her on a date when he was in his 30s.

Kilmeade called the alleged behavior “obscene.”

“I would kick his head in if it was one of my daughters, and then I would call the cops,” Kilmeade said on Friday’s “Brian Kilmeade Show” on Fox News Radio.

Kilmeade was speaking with Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) about the allegations against Moore. Lankford said he had spoken with friends in Alabama who felt they were in a “difficult spot” because they didn’t want to support Moore’s Democratic challenger, Doug Jones, but weren’t “sure” about supporting Moore due to the sexual misconduct allegations against him.

“Senator, nine women coming forward, that voter in Alabama that called you, is not in a hard spot,” Kilmeade said. “You cannot vote for somebody that’s calling people’s mothers to get permission when you’re 30 years old to date a teenager.”