High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Conversion from PVE to PVP.

Hello.

I am Hilo, troll hunter on Frostwhisper PVP. I've barely PVP'd on this character, and infact, it's a long time since I've even PVP'd at all.

Lately, when doing some random BG's, Stranglethorn Arena PVP etcetc, I've noticed I really like it, a lot, and I wanna start with PURE PVP'ing on this character.

However, I am fully PVE geared, so ofcourse, I need some PVP gear.... However, I am confused.

My main problem is knowing what to buy with my honour and wintergrasp marks first, and how much resi I should have to step into the arena and continue pvping there. Is there anything more I should know? - Feel free to give me tips! I would really appreciate it!

-Hilo

My armory link: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...hisper&cn=Hilo

15+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, it doesn't really matter what you buy first at all, as honor is obtained sooooooo fast nowadays. I prefer to start out with the resi/remove CC trinket usually, but as you do BG's at first, even this wouldn't matter much.

I'd say get to 800+ resi and go arena (with trinket this time..!). While most higher ranked players (of all classes/specs) use 1k+ resi, 800 should be enough to make your first step into the arena. You'll still have to learn alot as it is basically your "first time" in arena on your Hunter, so even with the best gear available before entering arena, you very probably won't skyrocket to 2k anyway.

Just my 2 pennies.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't really matter what you buy first at all, as honor is obtained sooooooo fast nowadays. I prefer to start out with the resi/remove CC trinket usually, but as you do BG's at first, even this wouldn't matter much.

I'd say get to 800+ resi and go arena (with trinket this time..!). While most higher ranked players (of all classes/specs) use 1k+ resi, 800 should be enough to make your first step into the arena. You'll still have to learn alot as it is basically your "first time" in arena on your Hunter, so even with the best gear available before entering arena, you very probably won't skyrocket to 2k anyway.

Just my 2 pennies.
    Thank you so much! )

The first step is definitely gearing up (and getting the right spec, I suppose). Since the fastest way to gear up is BG's ... well, gearing up will involve dying a lot. But c'est la vie.

If you have a ton of extra emblems lying around, you can purchase PVP gear from the vendors in Dal.

PVP combat can be pretty overwhelming at first, but once you get used to the pace ... watch people. Particularly your opponents, and particularly other PVPers playing your class. See what they do, and try to figure out why. Begin to anticipate, and react accordingly. That's what the core of PVP is all about.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    I would go with buying the shoulders with WG marks, try for legs and gloves in VoA, the rest I would buy with honor.

If you´re lucky enough to get both legs and gloves in VoA, you´d be full wrathful except weapons, chest and head.

Good luck!
    Shoulders? But yea, basically this ---^

When you newly start gearing up a character, first start looking at what WG rewards might be worth it (in this case only the shoulders are). Find out what you can get from voa (legs/gloves) and then just buy the rest in whatever order, as it doesn't matter at all.

Beside Gear, which is obviously core in PvP, there's the Gameplay. Pve is not hard. You can clic, you can tunnelvision, you can watch your bars and still do a decent job. Pvp (Arena that is, BG is more or less faceroll) requires intelligence, anticipation, and BINDS. Bind your abilities. Use modifiers. Move with the keyboard, turn around / strafe with the mouse. Disengage, Deterrence, FD, Traps, CC abilities and things like that need to come near your main DPS abilities in your bars, maybe even BEFORE your main DPS abilities. Think about making the opponent innefective, THEN attack him. When he is effective again, think about your next move to fuck with his mind.

Know your ennemy too, what they can and cant do.

From PvP to Pve, thinking outside the box may be the biggest step, because there are no strats in PvP. Practice ! And enjoy.
    Last edited by Alianthos; 2010-08-25 at 03:13 PM.

Deleted
    Recent Activity
    Earned the achievement Arathi Basin Victory for 10 points. 22-Aug-2010
    Earned the achievement We Had It All Along *cough* for 10 points. 22-Aug-2010
    wat

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by m4r3x View Post
    wat
    Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post
    watch people.
    Some of the best advice one can give.. Sitting in the sewers watching other players of your class as well as other classes play and seeing how they react to abilities helps a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliekcookies View Post
    WoW is like heroine among MMORPGs. Once you're hooked, it's an addiction. You can't go back to anything weaker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilic View Post
    Some of the best advice one can give.. Sitting in the sewers watching other players of your class as well as other classes play and seeing how they react to abilities helps a ton.
    As much as I agree, don't do this to much.

Practising > Watching.

why is this in the cataclysm pvp section