Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

How WoTLK was only easy for scrubs.

It took me until late in patch 3.2 to be scouted by one of the more successful raiding guilds on my realm (nothing hardcore though.)

Most guilds broke up in 3.1 because they were shell-shocked by Ulduar. Many players also quit then and to hide the fact that it turned out they weren't so good at the game they invested their entire life in started QQing on the forums, endlessly, about how WoW was too easy and catered to the casuals.

When in reality it turns out that when critical thinking was thrown into the mix(a skill you don't find anywhere in your moms basement) some of the players they once thought were "bad casuals" were actually better than themselves.

So 3.2 Came out and again from day one (which the majority of the QQ this is too easy crowd still didn't rejoin WoW) people were QQing about how ToC was a joke, without ever running it. Again many of these "I'm hardcore because I don't have a job" people who did try ToC couldn't get past Gormok The Impaler. Another handful of them quit at this point and began QQing about how this game was too easy and catering to casuals.

Along came 3.3. This instance was a real pug eater, especially before the buff. 99% of pug groups never made it past Marrowgar. It wasn't until the buff reached 15% until casual pug groups (not bored raiding guild alt pugs) could reliably get passed Marrowgar. Only at about 30% do casual pug groups actually get passed the first 4 bosses consistently.

But going back in time a bit before even the 5% buff (and even at 5%) The upper citadel bosses were real skill checks on 25 man, Everybody had to be on the ball (or atleast almost everyone.) At this point the real hardcore guilds had already downed LK and were working on hard modes, but My money says that none of the "QQ this is too ez lulz" people were actually in any significant hardcore guilds.

Originally the way I thought of wipes was "This is BS, I did everything right and we still didn't win." but I later became a guild officer due to exemplary performance and good knowledge of my own class mechanics and it helped get me into the "Why did we wipe?" mentality.

It really didn't become apparent to me until one time when another player sent me a /tell on a long night at wiping on a boss we normally had on farm confiding about how "this content is so boring and faceroll etc etc." That player wasn't particularly high on the DPS meter, he got up there from time to time when all the bone spikes/oozes/vile gas etc. were constantly targeting the top DPSers but wasn't consistent. Nor was his attendance exactly consistent either.

The issue in the end was that we ended up having to take a lot of bench warmers, or pugs, etc and explain the same fights over and over week after week because the "this is too easy" players didn't always show up. On nights when we were busy smashing our faces against a progression fight they would always have "connection issues." and we would have to bring in a bench warmer and explain the fight all over again.

Then of course the inconsistent players would never have connection issues on any boss that we could reliably farm.

Their presence was only guaranteed on fights that were easy facerolls.

TL;DR: Yeah WoTLK was very easy for the players who only stuck around for the faceroll fights that 20/25 of the raid had taken the time to memorize and build strategies for. The other 5/25 are the ones on the forum complaining about it being too easy, when in reality they got carried and that's why it was so easy and until those players start doing their part Blizzard will unfortunately always feel obliged to implement silly things like "30% buff"'s in order to account for those 5 players that don't show up for the fight when its still being learned and think their "unique personality" is all they need to keep their raid spot for when the fight is on farm.

The buff should equal worse loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I swear if another person in my guild says "hey there's some storms in my area so if I d/c that's why" I'm going to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by dwbrown7680 View Post
    I swear if another person in my guild says "hey there's some storms in my area so if I d/c that's why" I'm going to explode.
    I bet the storms never come until the 4th time they ice block half the raid eh?

Quote Originally Posted by unillenium View Post

Most guilds broke up in 3.1 because they were shell-shocked by Ulduar. Many players also quit then and to hide the fact that it turned out they weren't so good at the game they invested their entire life in started QQing on the forums, endlessly, about how WoW was too easy and catered to the casuals..
    I'd like to know where you got your statistics.

The entire post is so delusional, what point is the OP trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post

lulz YOU REFER TO ANYBODY BUT URSELF IN THE THIRD PERSON lulz

Please let your hardcore social skills shine on me.

Deleted

Nice work evading the question, since it seems you have no point.

Want to know what changed?

40-man raids.

With 25-man raids it became possible to prune the ranks more carefully and give each person specific roles, thus making guilds much, much smaller as the ammount of 'flexable' roles in the raids became much smaller.

In my own guild, I'd say 20 of the 25 positions in a raid had one and only one person that could fill it well, and only when those people were around would we succeed to any degree. One or two of those roles could be filled by alternates and we'd do okay, but preferably note.

Thus, there's 5 'extra' slots, within which the people the OP mentioned fit in. The spare healers, the poor DPS, the people that die consistantly, etc.

In 40-mans there was about 10 roles that were locked in, the tanks and healers, everyone else just button mashed and had a heartbeat, and were replacable in an instant. Thus, guilds had MASSIVE rosters of people, consisting of a few people that were reliable, and a ton of extras that got into raids whenever there was room and they had irritated the raid leader less than others.

What this meant was that there was far, far fewer guilds on any given server, and guild recruitment was, basically 'What day of the week can you raid?'. If you fit that guild's schedule, and weren't a total idiot, you'd get in and get to raid once a month-or-so.

Now, guilds are smaller, and the drive is to fill up a bank of 20 people that have the drive and obsession to raid week-after-week. The remainder of the raid group is then people that give the DPS meter additional color and get to sit around and bitch about the content being too easy.

TL;DR

WoW's design of making raids have such a small number of people means that the raid groups consist mostly of very good players that enjoy raiding, with a few spaces left for entitlement whores that freely get to come and be bored week after week.

All I read here is 'QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ'

No one cares OP, let it go.

Sounds like Lokann. He's affected by storms quite often.

What is this even supposed to mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    The buff should equal worse loot.
    This ^.

It's understandable that the difficulty is reduced after x period of time... but keep the progression aspect there.
    Over-thinking, Over-analyzing, separates the body from the mind.

I must agree abit with fiddlesnarf, its seems like you just go out of a really annoying pug/guildrun and had a need to rage at people saying the content was too easy. when content is released its allways going to be harder, but routine comes into play after a while, the reason i say most raids was considered "hard" is that many of them wasnt based on pure damage/healing/threat and the ones that were wasnt exactly the ones people got stuck on. And the statement about ulduar is just so incorrect.
    Bossy the Cow, a Legend, a Hero.. a Cow.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-the-noble-cow

Indeed. Building his sweet, sweet kingdom of dreams.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP, you claim that you realized that only bad players complain about the game being easy because you once saw a bad player that called the game easy? That makes as much sense as someone saying all criminals are men because they once saw a man committing a crime.
    Last edited by Finangus; 2010-10-06 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Grammar

It sucks so much to have constantly fill with new people that don't know the fights, or you get invited to a raid told "ya these guys are good no problem" and then your the best geared, made to mt then asked to explain the fight lol.

that really happened to me tbh.

I think its pretty damn easy and i wouldn't say im not in a legitimate hardcore guild.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ane&cn=Bigsyke

I do think however Ulduar was perfectly tuned and the best raid instance blizzard has ever released, and i raided each instance when it was level appropriate throughout the game. ICC was easy, and it still is easy. The only "HARD" boss was LK, because it is bullshit RNG that dictates a kill or not. Disc priest picked up? well for the 10 seconds hes up you can potentially wipe.

This is how the progressions went. 1st tier, easy as fucking 1-10 questing. 2nd tier, great raid instance and tuning (until they started nerfing everything). 3rd tier, again extremely easy except anub who was pretty challenging.. but 1 heroic fight thats hard compared to the rest that was easy. 4th tier, i'd say PP heroic and Sin heroic are the only 2 hard fights in that instance. And i mean actually hard not RNG RNG RNG. This was the casual king.

Their presence was only guaranteed on fights that were easy facerolls.
    This is what broke up our 25mans. Certain people would only show up Tuesday night to do 7/12. If PP wasn't going good they made up excuses that they had to log then they wouldn't be on the rest of the week. That is BS imo. Progression means ALL of the bosses, not just the easy ones. Go pug if you just want EZ badges (well up to Saurfang anyway). This new flexible raid ID system should be interesting. I hope it eases the problems that both raiding guilds and puggers have with progression. We shall have to see.