Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

SET gxApi "d3d11" - not a great idea

Hello.

After reading the news about the possible fps improvement with the SET gxApi "d3d11" line, i had the greatest idea to test it with my ati 4850.

I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't working for me: my fps dropped to 15 fps right after i logged my character.
    So i closed wow and removed the line from the config file.

But now, i am STILL experimenting fps drops, especially when i log my character. It goes away after some time then i can play normally.

I also experience a problem when i alt-tab. Before, it was very smooth. Now wow seems to stay on top of the screen and i have to go fetch another window in the taskbar to properly alt-tab.

I am very confused about this problem, it's annoying as hell.
    Does anyone have any idea of a possible fix to it ?

Thanks.
    Warriors will dead

Your video card might not even fully support dx11, if iirc 4800 series isn't exactly the newest brand of cards.

Do some researching and see if your card does support it, and if it does make sure to upgrade to latest drivers.

I'm not sure what to do about you being stuck at that low fps, however.

Deleted
    AFAIK, the 4x series are DX10, not 11. You tried checking to make sure it saved your changes? Also tried deleting the Cache folder?

Only problem I had was that water disappeared and I all I could see when looking at it was the bottom of the river, ocean, lake, etc... Speaking of that anyone know how I could fix that?

If you have amd radeon 6850-70, setting gxApi "d3d11" dramatically increases your fps and makes the game more smooth. Because the card is full dx11.

ATI Radeon 4850 is not a DX11 card so you shouldnt have done this in the first place. 4850 uses DX10.1.
    I had that card before and remember trying to play Alien vs Predator in DX11 mode which resulted in a crash at the first stage of the game.
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaice View Post
    After reading the news about the possible fps improvement with the SET gxApi "d3d11" line, i had the greatest idea to test it with my ati 4850.

Does anyone have any idea of a possible fix to it ?
    R4850 does not support DX11, so it will not benefit from the speedup at all.

Strange that the game still runs at low speed after removing the line from config.wtf, that shouldn't happen. Try deleting cache and data/cache folders in case the game has cached some DX11 related stuff there and still is using that.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try doing the same, but with d3d10.

And I hate to rub it in, but you really shouldn't of messed with something like that without knowing what you were doing. The option to play in DX11 mode wasn't in the video control panel for a good reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Duke
    Hail to the King, Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Heart GS View Post
    I remember a guy like you who used to go around forcing his beliefs on others. He started up a few camps in Germany back in the 40s and it didn't turn out well for him in the end.

Let this be a warning to you.

The 4xxx series are not DX11 compatable. The 56xx and above are DX11 for certain. You also need Windows 7.

As for your current problem, either delete your config.wtf file OR
    SET gxApi "d3d9"
    or
    SET gxApi "d3d9ex"

Try either to see if that makes a difference for you. The "d3d9ex" option is newer.
    Last edited by Robula; 2010-12-14 at 12:14 PM.

Deleted
    No need to tell him it wasn't the brightest thing to do. He knows now. Please don't post any further comments regarding that.

Deleted
    Maybe he. (As i have also) Heard from someone that setting the config file to DX11 increases your fps even though your card doesnt support DX11..

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not just for his sake though, as there's not one mention of needing or checking if your card supports DX11 on the article posted recently including the Toms Hardware benches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Duke
    Hail to the King, Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Heart GS View Post
    I remember a guy like you who used to go around forcing his beliefs on others. He started up a few camps in Germany back in the 40s and it didn't turn out well for him in the end.

Let this be a warning to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by G_A View Post
    Try doing the same, but with d3d10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robula View Post
    As for your current problem, either delete your config.wtf file OR
    SET gxApi "d3d9"
    or
    SET gxApi "d3d9ex"
    Neither d3d10 nor d3d9 are valid options. The gxApi CVar never accepted d3d10 as a valid option and d3d9 was removed with 4.0.1. The two valid options are now:

SET gxApi "d3d9ex"
    SET gxApi "d3d11"

hey, i got 2 GTX 460 on SLI, and I got the same poblem.

WoW also has trouble scaling with SLI, but even a single 460 shouldn't have trouble, and it is DX11 hardware compliant. What OS are you running, Noplz?

Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    WoW also has trouble scaling with SLI, but even a single 460 shouldn't have trouble, and it is DX11 hardware compliant. What OS are you running, Noplz?
    Im using windows 7 atm.

Setting my gfx card to DX11 has sorted some glitching and random screen resets in Deepholm for me on a GTX470.
    [/url]

According to this [H] thread there are still some advantages to running DX11 on older hardware (ie HD4800 series). I have a XFX 4850 installed at home, and I will test it out when I get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Battoria View Post
    According to this [H] thread there are still some advantages to running DX11 on older hardware (ie HD4800 series). I have a XFX 4850 installed at home, and I will test it out when I get a chance.
    I had greatly varying results running R4850 in DX11 mode during beta. In some zones it improved fps by 20%, in other zones reduced by 20%. Currently using GTX460 and it doesn't have any problems with DX11 so far.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yea i lost about 5fps trying this with my 5770 on my desktop but gained about 10 fps with the 5850 on my laptop.
    No pandas for me, thanks.