Thread: Bad graphics?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Bad graphics?

It looks like a very interesting game but after having checked out the main site with the videos and screenshots there I'm a bit underwhelmed by the looks. The graphics look on par with WoW and that's a 7 year old game. Is this what it really looks like in game?

Coming from BF3 now and I kind of expect that any game launched in 2011 would have graphics like that.

Well the gameplay is most important though for a mmo but I'm a still bit surprised of the low quality graphics in SWTOR.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The graphics are way better than WoW, just have a look at some of the comparison videos and you will see.

BF3 and SWTOR are nowhere near comparable at all, only in the sense that they are both games.

Deleted
    They are far better than WoW, if you don't see that maybe buy some glasses... WoW doesn't even have proper circles. BF3 is a shooter with max of what 32 people in a small zone? It's not a persistent world with potentially hundred of players on the same spot.

Your first mmo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exes View Post
    They are far better than WoW, if you don't see that maybe buy some glasses... WoW doesn't even have proper circles. BF3 is a shooter with max of what 32 people in a small zone? It's not a persistent world with potentially hundred of players on the same spot.

Your first mmo?
    64 people actually, but still.

Deleted
    Although this is first and foremost a subjective issue, as SWTOR is mostly a case about aesthetics and not graphical fidelity, for an MMO it does a great job.
    Again though, it is mostly aesthetics you should concern yourself with. SWTOR has a heavily stylized graphical style and you either love it or hate it. Comparing it to Battlefield 3 however is pretty much as unfair as you could do.

Furthermore, what you saw of the beta lacked any form of anti-aliasing.

Deleted
    From what I've seen of SWTOR they share a cartoony style and that's about it. And I've never heard of an MMO that shipped with cutting edge graphics.

Deleted
    To be fair, the video's on the main website do not do it justice. I played the beta and what i saw pissed over their promotional video's. This is our guild recruitment video recorded during the beta, this is with AA disabled and most of the setting on high rather than ultra.

I would love to see a video taken from WOW that equals it.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2011-12-10 at 04:35 PM.

Deleted
    I've played WoW and beta of SWTOR... i find the SWTOR graphics better than WoWs. And remember, to run BF3 your system must be fairly good/pricey. Not everyone can afford such computers and seeing as an MMO requires subs, graphics can't be amazing as people wouldn't be able to play it without spending more money. That's my view anyway.

MMOs are never meant to set standerds for graphics.With the amount of content they have to make and the factor of having to worry if PCs can even run it.You cant expect incredible graphics like that of a standerd console game.Even still Swtor has beter graphics than any MMO ive ever played,even Aion which was loved for its beautiful graphics.Im suprised that the graphics are as good as they are honestly.

It's not graphics you're talking about.

It's art style.

The graphics are phenomenal. The art style is what you're complaining about, which is an opinion.

Furthermore, the graphics are far superior to that of modern day wow, much less wow from 7 years ago. And comparing BF3 to it? Really? Again, that is art style. Realistic versus a more cartoon feel. Not graphics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exes View Post

Your first mmo?

I’ve played wow since the start of vanilla so I'm well aware of the crappy graphics there but that's why I asked. Judging from the videos and screenshots from the SWTOR site I wasn't very impressed but I guess they look better in game then.

I was really hoping for advanced graphics like BF3 though. Even Rift looked better.

Anti Aliasing wasn't enabled during the beta stress test. Most likely you've seen long outdated photos. Expecting BF3 graphics in a game that's been in development for three years? Honestly mate, think a little bit. Imagine how BF3 would look if you had 400 people in the same server running around. Thought so.

Bioware made the game playable on a massive scale of systems. I'm sure with AA and everything on ultra at release it'll look phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcrae View Post
    There are loads of hi-res pictures on these forums and the rest of the web, have a proper look around before starting pointless troll threads.
    Just because you don't like what is being said does not make it a troll thread. Maybe you shouldn't post in things that you don't like just to call it trolling?

OT: Much of what you prob have seen is beta weekend pictures, which the graphics were downplayed. There are a ton of Hi rez images tho if you just look for them. After that, if you still no like, oh well, games not for everyone.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I’ve played wow since the start of vanilla so I'm well aware of the crappy graphics there but that's why I asked. Judging from the videos and screenshots from the SWTOR site I wasn't very impressed but I guess they look better in game then.

I was really hoping for advanced graphics like BF3 though. Even Rift looked better.
    If you have a high end system try it on launch with full settings and AA, this is the only way to say how good swtor graphics can be.

SWTOR graphics are really bad. Monsters looks like plastic toys.

Don't troll. - Buckwald
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-10 at 04:46 PM.

Yeah lets have Skyrim and BF3 graphics in an MMO. That is a good idéa! I guess you only want the really rich to play MMO's? That can afford computers for 10k dollars I mean? Probably a success.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    To be fair, the video's on the main website do not do it justice. I played the beta and what i saw pissed over their promotional video's. This is our guild recruitment video recorded during the beta, this is with AA disabled and most of the setting on high rather than ultra. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6MV_vApR0

I would love to see a video taken from WOW that equals it.
    That looked a bit better, I guess I wasn't expecting the cartoon style. Sad that the game isn't using better graphics though in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post

Youve played WoW since vanilla,that great but that doesnt make sense...A person that would have been playing an MMO for 7 years wouldnt be concerned about graphics in a game.

I only played on the weekend stress tests... so sometimes the graphics were a little choppy (and really that is to be expected). However, over all I thought the game looked really beautiful and detailed. Even looking at someone playing it on lower settings it looked really good to me.

Deleted
    It is realy silly to compare stuff like BF3 and skyrim etc to swtor. If you are going to compare it to anything it has to be to rift,wow etc. People seem to forget that an mmo needs to be playable on as many computers as possible to get lots more subs, if they just cater to people with the very best comps don't expect content development and all that.

People also seemto get the gfx mixed up with the art style too much.