Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahgurim View Post
    My opinion is check out the coding for accurate WOW dps chart addons and base your coding off of that
    The only issue is that the game doesn't allow addon usage so it isn't that simple. Especially the coding within WoL. There are no in-game combat logs which WoL basically requires... this is perfect for what people want.

Deleted
    No I did not say you need whole raid logs. You can check every line of log faker has uploaded for sanity. Like ability hitting too hard, or too often etc. Easy to spot differences when comparing to other player with same level of gear/skills.
    Again, you cant trust anything you get from client. Anything can be faked. In this case, faker could write own version of MOX logger, or install proxy which modifies data MOX logger sends, or even modify MOX code running on client memory.
    Last edited by mmoc5089588ed8; 2012-04-24 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well not really the coding for in game usage since he seems to have that figured out but more or less their ability to detect every combat log event and report it correctly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    You can't edit or save files currently being used by TOR. That means your latest combat log file which would be the file that MOX is using and created. If you close TOR in order to edit it- MOX stops recording and uploading the data. If you open up TOR again, another combat log file is created and yet the same thing happens all over again.
    Very easy to get around that. Create simple program which copies every combat log line (real time) from real SWTOR combat log, and pastes line after modification to fake log file. Then set whatever combat log add-on you use to read that fake file. Same basic method works surely against all combat log parsers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sahtila View Post
    Very easy to get around that. Create simple program which copies every combat log line (real time) from real SWTOR combat log, and pastes line after modification to fake log file. Then set whatever combat log add-on you use to read that fake file. Same basic method works surely against all combat log parsers.
    Yes, but who honestly cares to do that? How is that good for self improvement? I'm going to lie to my guild about how well I'm doing and the rest of everyone else because I want to feel specialz.

Anything can be broken but lets be realistic.

Deleted
    As i said before the reason is EPEEN.

Lets take WoW for example. If everyone could mess with their logs :

Total wow players : 10.000.000
    Caring for Logs : 1.000.000
    Using WoL : 900.000
    Idiots who want to see themselves on top 200 : more than 200 but lets say 200 ... thats a 0.2% if i remember math correctly ....

So as you can see due to big numbers a small amount of ppl who are lazy enough to learn to play can ruin a tool for others .

(all above numbers are fictional , and ofc these numbers are not to be compared with players playing SW or using the site )

You putting too much emphasis on the cheating.

Was just a suggestion, ranks create a whole new meta game and if done right would make your website more successful and stand from the other multitude of online log parsers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    You putting too much emphasis on the cheating.

Was just a suggestion, ranks create a whole new meta game and if done right would make your website more successful and stand from the other multitude of online log parsers.
    Don't think that i argue with you on the usefulness of the Rankings. The thing is that as a developer/programmer etc you always have to plan a bit ahead and try to think of all possibilities. Cheating is a possibility that could ruin the whole tool for the rest of the community. Thats what is keeping me back from implementing it.

And from a user perspective i would be somehow annoyed :
    a) to not be sure that the rankings are legit , since i compete with legit means
    b) to have all the rankings being cleared (if many fake ones have been found) so that they can be populated again after a fix has been applied.

Don't you agree ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wildking View Post
    As i said before the reason is EPEEN.

Lets take WoW for example. If everyone could mess with their logs :

Total wow players : 10.000.000
    Caring for Logs : 1.000.000
    Using WoL : 900.000
    Idiots who want to see themselves on top 200 : more than 200 but lets say 200 ... thats a 0.2% if i remember math correctly ....

So as you can see due to big numbers a small amount of ppl who are lazy enough to learn to play can ruin a tool for others .

(all above numbers are fictional , and ofc these numbers are not to be compared with players playing SW or using the site )
    Yes, but if you have moderators overlooking most things, its easy to tell who 'cheated' and who didn't. For instance. I can do about 1600-1700 DPS, but if you see another merc doing 2k+, they're obviously cheating. Common sense is what can break cheaters.

Deleted
    First of , you say you do 1600dps . I say i do 1800 (as you see i dont use an extraordinary number) and i am legit ... who is right , or who is best? And secondly some bosses may have increased dmg taken modifiers or dmg reduction modifiers or they may be movement heavy fights . With what standards will you then evaluate the logs?
    Once again (and i want to be clear with that) i am not arguing that i should implement the rankings. What im trying to say is that due to the tool set that Bioware has provided us with, it is really difficult to keep a genuineness of the logs.
    Don't know if you agree .

10+ Year Old Account
    First of , you say you do 1600dps . I say i do 1800 (as you see i dont use an extraordinary number) and i am legit ... who is right , or who is best? And secondly some bosses may have increased dmg taken modifiers or dmg reduction modifiers or they may be movement heavy fights . With what standards will you then evaluate the logs?
    Once again (and i want to be clear with that) i am not arguing that i should implement the rankings. What im trying to say is that due to the tool set that Bioware has provided us with, it is really difficult to keep a genuineness of the logs.
    Don't know if you agree .
    Doing 1800 for a boss kill in the current state of mercs is in is completely impossible.

See? Logic and common sense trumps this situation. How do I know it is impossible? Because hitting those DPS numbers requires a stat bonus that not even BiS gear can get you relatively CLOSE to.

I know you are not arguing, and neither am I, but I am merely pointing out that common sense can ween out 'cheaters' most of the time. Granted if they raised their DPS by .1 higher than yours, you can't really debate that so there is a flaw in my reasoning.

Deleted
    You come with (for example) 1800 as the top that mercenaries can do . How did you find that ? Theorycrafting ? And how do you know that the specific analysis of the rotation/priority or the efficiency of each stat is right. There are many bright examples in WoW history (even after 7 years , where someone would say that all should be known now and be accurate) where either due to rng or due to fight style that theorycrafting fails to show the truth. Great examples : Deathknights - Sinestra , Druids - Nefarian HM , Frost Deathknights RNG overall that could be +/- 1.5 k dps easily (Yes i played a frost DK ) and so on....
    Also dont forget that in a Patchwerk style boss and with perfect theorycrafting i support you. Chances are that there is a theoretical top. What about fights with aoe and adds ? How do you calculate a top there ? Theorycrafting cant help you unless you do specific theorycrafting for the specific boss with the specific group .

Edit : and don't forget fights like alysrazor (flying buff/extra dmg done on stun), Majordorm HM ( dmg buff with huge RnG), generally bosses that noob ( :P ) mages can spellsteal buffs to increase their dmg.
    Last edited by mmoc4ab83d034d; 2012-04-25 at 06:00 PM.

I am not sure how the two relate so sorry if this doesn't really apply.

I seem to recall awhile back WoL had an issue where some people were falsifying their logs before uploading them to get better rankings. They posted that all the people who had messed with their logs would be removed and in the future there was some sort of protection against it. I am not sure what method they used to be able to figure that all out, but I would think there would be some way to spot people trying to cheat the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    You come with (for example) 1800 as the top that mercenaries can do . How did you find that ? Theorycrafting ? And how do you know that the specific analysis of the rotation/priority or the efficiency of each stat is right. There are many bright examples in WoW history (even after 7 years , where someone would say that all should be known now and be accurate) where either due to rng or due to fight style that theorycrafting fails to show the truth. Great examples : Deathknights - Sinestra , Druids - Nefarian HM , Frost Deathknights RNG overall that could be +/- 1.5 k dps easily (Yes i played a frost DK ) and so on....
    Also dont forget that in a Patchwerk style boss and with perfect theorycrafting i support you. Chances are that there is a theoretical top. What about fights with aoe and adds ? How do you calculate a top there ? Theorycrafting cant help you unless you do specific theorycrafting for the specific boss with the specific group .

Edit : and don't forget fights like alysrazor (flying buff/extra dmg done on stun), Majordorm HM ( dmg buff with huge RnG), generally bosses that noob ( :P ) mages can spellsteal buffs to increase their dmg.
    Just trust me. I have yet to be wrong in TOR. Plus TOR is very limiting compared to WoW. When one person can supply all of the buffs, it kind of dwindles things down.

But like Arlee said, there has to be some way to see if files are tampered. I know if I open and close a file it gains a modified tag in its preferences. Maybe there is a way to detect if thats the case?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I am not sure how the two relate so sorry if this doesn't really apply.

I seem to recall awhile back WoL had an issue where some people were falsifying their logs before uploading them to get better rankings. They posted that all the people who had messed with their logs would be removed and in the future there was some sort of protection against it. I am not sure what method they used to be able to figure that all out, but I would think there would be some way to spot people trying to cheat the system.
    yeah i remember the time. The thing is that even though the WoL logs have ( as files before uploaded ) have some protection still some ppl managed to overcome it. As a previous poster pointed out ( like you) WoL has some ways of figuring out ways to evaluate the logs . For example checking the raid dmg against the total Boss health. But smthing like this cannot be done in SW . Also ( havent played a lot with creating addons or log parsing for wow so dont take my word for it) i am pretty sure that WoW provides a lot more useful info in its logs. SW's log are very robust giving only the very vital info : X dmg done , Y heal done , Z effect applied / removed , ZX lost resources . There are not a lot of thing to play around and create protection filters around your logs .

Deleted
    I am going to start building the Rankings. Can you plz help me by sending me/pm me/link me some logs with bosses from 8/16 SM/HM/NM EV/KP/EC so that i can find all the boss ids? Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you want logs uploaded to the site or emailed to you? PM me your email just to be safe and I'll give you A LOT of logs.

Going to get an e-check now, so I will email them to you (if you give me your email) once I am back. I have 15-20 logs that I can send you.

Deleted
    I pm'ed you the mail address . Just to be clear i am interested in logs of bosses only from all the variations of Operations and Difficulties. Would really help some clarification of which log is which :P . Again thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I pm'ed you the mail address . Just to be clear i am interested in logs of bosses only from all the variations of Operations and Difficulties. Would really help some clarification of which log is which :P . Again thank you for your time.
    Well... The logs I sent you were from HM EC... I think 1 might have been a quick clear of 16man Story Mode EC.

I didn't see this message until AFTER I sent them :x Sorry!

If you do ranks, devide it by AC and Spec, if possible

Its no point to have Ranks of everyone cause balance its clearly out of wack atm