Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I know it exists. Doesn't make it right, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Cartons of eggnog?
    What..?
    Yes. Around here, it's sold in the same sort of carton as milk, only festively coloured.

Last edited by Masark; 2012-07-26 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my country we sell a slightly thicker version of eggnog called "advocaat" and it's available in nearly every supermarket year round. We don't drink it especially at the Holidays though and it has a sort of "old wives" stigma to it. But available year round, so you should come live in the Netherlands if you want some! :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I like custard and I like alchohol, not sure about them together though. We don't have it here in the UK, and if we do I've never seen/heard of it!
    Really?! I guess I'm being a naive Yank, because to me eggnog seems like something UK folks would like!

I'm not obsessed with eggnog, but then again my family's Jewish so Christmas traditions were mostly ignored. That being said, one year my mom hosted a Christmas party for her book club and bought a carton of eggnog for it. It was non-alcoholic, but still pretty damn good.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    Really?! I guess I'm being a naive Yank, because to me eggnog seems like something UK folks would like!

I'm not obsessed with eggnog, but then again my family's Jewish so Christmas traditions were mostly ignored. That being said, one year my mom hosted a Christmas party for her book club and bought a carton of eggnog for it. It was non-alcoholic, but still pretty damn good.
    The UK ran out of crazy after they started heating their beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I must be the only person alive that despises eggnog. Hate it.
    Not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    seriously. I WANT ME SOME EGGNOG!!!! store, Y I NAS CAN HAS IT O_O

but seriously why? i assume its business people assuming it wouldnt sell well outside the holiday season. but how would they know since they never do?
    I feel the same way about Halloween candy/decorations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    seriously. I WANT ME SOME EGGNOG!!!! store, Y I NAS CAN HAS IT @_@

but seriously why? i assume its business people assuming it wouldnt sell well outside the holiday season. but how would they know since they never do?
    Being a fairly parishable dairy product I can see why. The 3 people that go to your grocery store to buy it wouldn't justify keeping it in stock year round.

It's also fairly simple to make. I suggest looking up a recipe.

here:

* 1 quart milk
    * 1 cup superfine or confectioners' sugar
    * 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and seeds scraped out
    * 12 large eggs*, separated
    * 2 cups heavy cream
    * 2 cups bourbon
    * 1 cup brandy
    * Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
    * Chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and vanilla bean and seeds and bring to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat.

In a medium bowl, beat the yolks until pale yellow and thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly pour in 1 cup of the hot milk, whisking constantly. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan with the hot milk, whisking. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.

In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks start to form. Slowly add 1/4 cup of the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat the cream until thick and frothy. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat to soft peaks.

In a large punch bowl, combine the chilled egg yolk mixture and the bourbon and brandy. Fold in the sweetened whipped cream, then the egg whites. Refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes to 1 hour.

To serve, sprinkle nutmeg over the top and garnish with chocolate shavings. Serve chilled.
    Omit the booze for just the straight up nog.

It is milked from Noggbeasts after their mating season (August) they normally lay their young around early October and they stop producing it after their young begin to eat solid food which is normally in early January

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enohpi View Post
    Cool, that is actually news to me i was under the impression it was only norway, sweden, denmark and the germans who would partake in the gløgg
    Switzerland and Austria know it too!
    Dunno about france, as heating vine prolly get's yourself executed over there

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would lose it's appeal if it was sold all year long.

As a kid I loved eggnog so much and would drinks gallons of the stuff. As I grew older my love for it has kind of diminished. I still like it, but it's not something I can have a lot of at anyone time.

We probably mixed it wrong, but my eggnog and alcohol experience ended really badly lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I am with you.......I mean wtf is it? Milky Boozy egg drink? PASS
    lol That's the only way I can describe it. No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    *Snip*
    I'll reply with:

Deleted
    What is Egg nog like?
    I haven't tasted it before, so I'm curoius if I should give it a shot when it's sold ( and I also gotta find a store that sells it ).

why not just make some?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Cartons of eggnog?
    What..?

That's like buying wine in a carton.. Or beer in a carton... Or... A carton of baileys... The idea is just weird. :S

Then again, I'm Dutch. Our eggnog (advocaat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat) is probably quite dissimilar to the US stuff. I know that, in the US, it is a seasonal thing associated with the holidays, much like easterbread is here. So it might actually be that your version doesn't have liquor in, but... Wouldn't that just turn it into 'very runny vanilla custard with cream?'

(Edit: Embarrassing spelling mistake)
    Yes, it is sold here in cartons, or you can make it homemade (which is better, but I'm lazy.) We've been drinking eggnog as a family tradition since I was very little, so I've only ever tasted the non-alcoholic version. And it isn't runny at all. It's deliciously thick.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I must be the only person alive that despises eggnog. Hate it.
    Don't worry, I've never had it!

Possible reasons.
    1. Seasonal
    2. To make people buy more than they need to last them longer

10+ Year Old Account
    The UK ran out of crazy after they started heating their beers.
    I'm sorry, but what? The only types of alcohol we heat are whiskey and Mulled wine. Our beer is ice cold. That's kinda why it's called "draught" and not tap beer.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:58 AM ----------

In Denmark it is way, way, more common for people to drink "Gløgg" which is basically boiled wine with almonds, raisins, spices, and sometimes snaps..
    Sounds a bit like Mulled Wine which we drink around Christmas in the U.K. Hot wine with spices.

I'm sorry, but what? The only types of alcohol we heat are whiskey and Mulled wine. Our beer is ice cold. That's kinda why it's called "draught" and not tap beer.
    I thought it was draught beer because the pump action of the tap draws/pulls it up from the barrel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleT View Post
    What is Egg nog like?
    I haven't tasted it before, so I'm curoius if I should give it a shot when it's sold ( and I also gotta find a store that sells it ).
    It is basically a milkshake. It has its own taste and consistency but it really is no different then a milkshake.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."