Poll: Is it wrong to re-marry after your spouse dies?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Of course it's not morally wrong. How can it possibly be? Your spouse is dead. You remarrying isn't hurting them.

Now, some people might not want to remarry. That's fine - it's up to each individual to do what's best for themselves. But it's not immoral either way.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-12-29 at 06:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, after a certain time people will feel they can move on. Say your spouse died 10+ years ago, you shouldn't still be alone if you don't want to be because you were once married.

I mean the time period will be different for everyone, but no amount of wishing they were alive is going to allow you to be with them again.

Children might make it more wrong depending on age. I think someone should focus on raising their kids first, love life second. They can still date but it should always come second to the kids until their kids have grown up. Though it's still not wrong to date again if they can successfully put their kids first.

Don't think length of marriage changes anything. Some people (like your self) may never want to date again if that were to happen, but that doesn't make it wrong if you do.

There's a little bit of grey area, but usually no.

For instance, if their spouse died because they were murdered so that you could be with someone you were cheating on him/her with, then that's not okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    No, it's not morally wrong, imo.
    The dead spouse is gone... if their partner eventually finds love again, it's no betrayal. They shouldn't have to be lonely for the rest of their life, simply because their spouse was a victim of a tragedy. That's just compounding tragedy with more tragedy.
    If something were to happen to me, I'd want my partner to move on and find love again someday. I'd want him to be happy. I wouldn't want him to be lonely until he dies out of the mistaken belief that he would be betraying my memory if he loved someone else.

Also, as to the marriage vows bit - if your spouse has died, death has pretty much done you part :P
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Love is infinite- you can make more when you need it.

Falling in love with someone else after losing a loved one, regardless of the time you spent with them, doesn't mean you stop loving the one you lost. You'll never stop loving them, and that's how it should be.

If I died, I'd want the person I was with to find someone else. I don't want them to spend the rest of his/her life pining away for me and being alone. I'd want someone there to support and watch over them.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Life is too short to spend it in grief.

Only if you plan to re-marry someone shortly after your spouse passed away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Namso View Post
    Say a couple had a great marriage. They were happy and heavily in love. Now, an unfortunate death occurs and one is left alone. Is it morally incorrect for an individual to seek true love, again? If children were in the picture, would that change? How about the length of marriage? Does the "until death do us part" play a role?

For me, I cannot see myself spending time with another woman until my own death. I know I won't be happy and will never be satisfied. I just find it so wrong to betray someone that you love like that, especially if you have children.

Where do you stand?
    Depends mostly on my age when it happens. If it would happen when I am 50 or lower I would possibly get re-married. Depends on if I meet someone it would feel right with.

It is so wrong, it disgusts me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. People need to move on from the past, its healthy.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. How long a person should grieve after the death of a loved one is a very personal thing. For people whose loved-ones die slowly, the grieving may appear short, only because the grieving has been taking place during the slow death. For people whose loved-ones die quickly, it may seem very long, because of how sudden and unexpected the loss was.

Every person is entitled to happiness. Children should be taught to understand that even though they miss their lost parent, that is no reason to deny the other a new chance at happiness.

Marriage can make a difference, but it's really no difference than the grieving process. Marriages can fall apart suddenly...or by inches.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's all about being happy in life. If you find someone again and feel you will be happy again, then of course by all means go for it. But don't force trying to re-marry if you aren't happy or can't see yourself being with them. As I said, life is about being happy. Do what you feel you have to do to achieve that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not wrong. But it helps to let time pass.

No and/or depends on the circumstances.
    For the circumstances, I'd say how long you were married for. If it was, lets says 40yrs+, then no. I don't think you should remarry.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not wrong, but i can't imagine being in that situation. It probably sucks and you must feel some guilt but i'm sure the person who you loved would want you to be happy right?
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

I think getting married soon after a spouse's death is incredibly disrespectful, however in general it's okay.

Deleted
    I... honestly and deeply think I couldn't do it. Someday I will marry my Girlfriend and if anything was to happen to her, because we've been through so much I would never be able to feel the same way about a woman ever again. I don't think I could connect well enough to anybody else.

.........Well, I'm gonna get out of bed every morning... breathe in and out all day long. Then, after a while I won't have to remind myself to get out of bed every morning and breathe in and out... and, then after a while, I won't have to think about how I had it great and perfect for a while.....

I had something like this happen to me. My fiance died a few months before our wedding. It took me 12 yrs to kiss another woman.

A lot of people answering in this thread have no idea what true love is, nor how even the thought of being with someone new is repulsive for a long time. If I hadn´t been through it, I would probably be posting the same thing though.

I have absolutely no problem with this, provided an "adequate" amount of time passes after their passing. I don't know how to quantify such a number, so long as it's not ridiculously short...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    It is so wrong, it disgusts me.
    exactly how is it wrong?