Thread: Martial Arts

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Martial Arts

I posted about wanting to stop feeling emotions due to anger
    some people mentioned to try a martial art
    I found a gym thats close by that teaches three, a family member said he'd pay for it
    so the 3 the gym teaches are, Western Boxing, Wing Chun, and Muay Thai
    which do you think would be best for releasing anger

Deleted
    Wing chun does not encourage aggression, western boxing and Muay Thai does.

Please don't be one of those meatheads that turn up to work out some anger on some other poor bastard, buy a punchbag for home if thats your intention.

If you're looking to release anger, find someone who wants rocks or cement turned into rubble. Pick up a sledgehammer and release anger to your heart's content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post

Please don't be one of those meatheads that turn up to work out some anger on some other poor bastard, buy a punchbag for home if thats your intention.
    Oh no Its more a I want a way to control it a lot better by learning
    This gym doesnt let you practice on people anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest T'ai chi ch'uan. Helps calm the mind, has health benefits, and is actually a self defense martial art believe or not, it's not just a bunch of slow hand motions like you see in movies and shows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeydeath View Post
    Oh no Its more a I want a way to control it a lot better by learning
    This gym doesnt let you practice on people anyway
    What kind of martial art doesnt let you practice on people? sounds like a con.

Do not listen to this person, his statement is absolutely pathetic, and he just proves how he has no knowledge whatsoever about what he is talking about.

I'd say Muay Thai, but you have to actually see some classes and try it out for yourself to see which one you think suits yourself.

What kind of martial art doesnt let you practice on people? sounds like a con.
    Well by people i mean like the under trained people who cannot stop you if you get violent
    you practice on the higher ups

Do Muay Thai. You get to kick, punch and do other things that aren't in kick boxing like elbow and knee strikes.

When I did TKD, we got to fight eachother and the Masters. Man, the the Masters work you the hell out lol.

Was the advice to learn a martial art so you can get your anger out by hitting things or was it to teach you discipline and how to control your emotions?

If it was to hit things just get a punching bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Do not listen to this person, his statement is absolutely pathetic, and he just proves how he has no knowledge whatsoever about what he is talking about.

I'd say Muay Thai, but you have to actually see some classes and try it out for yourself to see which one you think suits yourself.
    Saying Rich has no idea about Martial Arts is like saying I never posted on this website.

I actually absolutely agree with Rich. People who have anger issues should go and do some yoga, and not learn how to really beat up people once they snap.

Deleted

How am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Was the advice to learn a martial art so you can get your anger out by hitting things or was it to teach you discipline and how to control your emotions?

If it was to hit things just get a punching bag.
    how to control emotions

Watch Ip Man... That is all.

how to control emotions
    There are better ways to control your emotions that martial arts. Whoever told you that story lied to you.

I did half a year of boxing. All I learned are basic moves, I did sparring, trained reflexes, did power and cardiac training. Nothing involved controlling my emotions.

Deleted
    Well by people i mean like the under trained people who cannot stop you if you get violent
    you practice on the higher ups
    You still get some evil bastards that turn up just to hurt people, MMA classes are famous for attracting these types since UFC became so popular. Of the 3 mentioned, I suggest western boxing at first, to learn the basics and master the footwork. When you get a bit more conditioned try Muay Thai, I did this for years and it really kept me fit. Forget Wing chun, it was invented by a woman and discourages aggression.

I'd go for Muay Thai as it allows more than just throwing a few punches.

You still get some evil bastards that turn up just to hurt people, MMA classes are famous for attracting these types since UFC became so popular. Of the 3 mentioned, I suggest western boxing at first, to learn the basics and master the footwork. When you get a bit more conditioned try Muay Thai, I did this for years and it really kept me fit. Forget Wing chun, it was invented by a woman and discourages aggression.
    Am I missing something here? OP has anger control issues... isn't this exactly what he needs?

Wing chun does not encourage aggression
    What have you been smoking?

I trained Wing Chun for over 4 years and can say it's more violent and aggressive than anything else I've seen.

I learning to break jaws, arms, and legs by reflex within the first 6 months of training. Who else does that?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59iVsITRyJk

http://www.youtube.com/user/bumpisms/videos
    Last edited by Buttfear; 2013-01-31 at 02:13 AM.

Agreed

No martial art encourages aggression. They are called self defense for a reason, not self offense. If a martial art encourages any kind of violence you have a bad instructor. Using a Karate Kid movie example that does apply in real life (I've seen it personally), Cobra Kai and Mr Miyagi taught the same style. One encouraged violence and one didn't.

Blame the teacher, not the style.