Poll: Do you own/how many guns?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    You do realize that Finland has the highest gun ownership rate in Europe, right? In fact, all of Scandinavia has very loose gun laws and a pretty large gun culture. You could even buy new machineguns in Finland prior to 2004; as compared to the United States which banned them in the 1980s. Nice try though with that "civilized" non-sense, when it turns out you don't even know anything about your own country.
    Difference is, they don't have an epidemic of massacres as a result of gun ownership.

OT: I have none and would want none. A gun in any equation would only put me more at risk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    Difference is, they don't have an epidemic of massacres as a result of gun ownership.
    Disregarding Finland not being part of Scandinavia, we actually have had some massacres of our own. Not going to comment on if they are the result of gun ownership or not.

Also there was that thing on Norway not too long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    And Finland isn't actually a part of Scandinavia.

I don't own a gun, I played with them enough in the army. I could see myself owning one someday, for recreational use.
    No, but they were considered part of Scandinavia for several hundred years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    At that range why not use a rifle?
    A lack of commercially available 76mm rifles?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I have a shotgun and .22 long-rifle, nothing really interesting. I might get a handgun but I feel more comfortable with my compound bow.

Deleted
    No, but they were considered part of Scandinavia for several hundred years.
    You mean back when Finland was part of Sweden? Because I feel like that doesn't count.

Deleted
    Disregarding Finland not being part of Scandinavia, we actually have had some massacres of our own. Not going to comment on if they are the result of gun ownership or not.

Also there was that thing on Norway not too long ago.
    Point taken, but let's be honest here, the difference in the frequency of said massacres is blindingly apparent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SylvanaSlave View Post
    A gun in any equation would only put me more at risk.
    How would a gun put you at more risk during a home invasion where the goal of the perpetrators is to rob the house and kill the family?

I mean you can say "a gun in some equations would only put you at more risk," or a "gun in many equations would only put you at more risk," and those statements could indeed be factual.

But to say "in any equation" is dead wrong. There are absolutely situations where a gun reduces risk, and perhaps saves you life. That doesn't mean you have to like guns, or even own one. But don't lie.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

You mean back when Finland was part of Sweden? Because I feel like that doesn't count.
    Why wouldn't it count? Swedish culture has greatly blended with Finnish culture. A large portion of the Finnish population speaks Swedish, the autonomous province of Aland speaks almost exclusively Swedish, and the Swedish People's Party is a major political party in the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The sweetest deer is the deer you killed yourself.
    I agree whole heartedly with this. In Michigan with the way our economy is, it is cheaper to purchase a hunting and fishing license than it is to go grocery shopping every week. I can fill my freezer with free range venison, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, and duck. It tastes much better and it is not loaded with a ton of growth hormones. I can fish year round in our multitude of rivers, streams, and lakes. Most importantly I can do all of these activities with my wife and all of my children. It builds a closer family IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    To fight against a tyrannical government.
    I don't think any amount of guns in the hands of civilians would save them from a tyrannical government...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    And people say the same thing about owning a fire extinguisher
    Well that makes no sense. Fire extinguishers are a lot more useful for several reasons. Firstly fires are very significantly more likely than break-ins when the inhabitants are home. And owning a fire extinguisher is a lot less likely to get you killed by a fire, than guns are to get you killed by robbers.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why wouldn't it count? Swedish culture has greatly blended with Finnish culture. A large portion of the Finnish population speaks Swedish, the autonomous province of Aland speaks almost exclusively Swedish, and the Swedish People's Party is a major political party in the country.
    That's like asking why the US isn't part of the UK. Speak the same language and the US used to be part of the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    How would a gun put you at more risk during a home invasion where the goal of the perpetrators is to rob the house and kill the family?

I mean you can say "a gun in some equations would only put you at more risk," or a "gun in many equations would only put you at more risk," and those statements could indeed be factual.

But to say "in any equation" is dead wrong. There are absolutely situations where a gun reduces risk, and perhaps saves you life. That doesn't mean you have to like guns, or even own one. But don't lie.
    Meanwhile in Hollywood...

I own 0 since they're completely useless (and generally illegal in Sweden) other than for hunting, and clearly I don't hunt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I don't think any amount of guns in the hands of civilians would save them from a tyrannical government...
    Not to mention that this has not happened even once to warrant the need for a small arsenal in every home. This is where the word 'paranoia' comes up a lot.

15+ Year Old Account
    1 ww1 area bolt action rifle, 1 modern bolt action rifle and a shotgun with a compressor on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    Meanwhile in Hollywood...
    It does indeed happen. I've had one of those situations before. Only thing that scared the knife wielding guy away was the fact that I had my gun on me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A lack of commercially available 76mm rifles?
    Thats a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_gun_M1

10+ Year Old Account
    We've got two old .45 Caliber Smith & Wesson DA Frontier within the family.
    Once I get myself a license I'll box them in and put them in a display cabinet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water