View Poll Results: Do you think the sentence is justified?

Voters
406. This poll is closed
  • Yes; The sentence is completely justified for these crimes.

284 69.95%
  • No; I do not believe in the death penalty and opt for alternative sentencing.

76 18.72%
  • Indecisive; I'm torn on the sentencing and the conflicting issues at hand that are raised.

13 3.20%
  • Your own opinion; Post it.

6 1.48%
  • Popcorn; I enjoy watching threads being de-railed!

27 6.65%
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Paraclef View Post
    Worse than raping to death, obviously.
    That doesn't make it any less sick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by themius View Post
    that doesn't make it any less sick.
    you are insane !!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That doesn't make it any less sick.
    How is it 'sick'?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    It's an excessive and unnecessary violation of an individual's rights that we as a society have declared to be inalienable.
    No, it is a fair and necessary punishment levied on those who have egregiously violated society's rules. Choosing to belong to society carries obligations and responsibilities. By choosing to murder, or torture, or rape - they have said, "I am going to step outside the boundaries of civilization to satisfy my own desires." By making that declaration through their acts, these people have withdrawn from normal society and agree to no longer be held to - or PROTECTED BY - its normal rules. Therefore, they do not deserve life or liberty any longer - because they have chosen to live by a completely different set of rules.

Furthermore, it has no clear benefit and actually works against our own goals.
    Justice is its own benefit, and no group of humans on earth can call itself "civilized" unless it supports and upholds Justice. Refusing to uphold Justice is a DEGRADATION of humanity, not an advancement.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Don't you mean 'vengeance'?

People are so bloodthirsty. Makes me wonder if we're not still in the Dark Ages.
    Indeed, Let them live, but cut off their limbs, and their "junk" ... let them suffer the life of a helpless person.

I'm sure they wont be mistreated by the nurses in the care facilities in jail. If people who consider this kind of
    horrible crime, saw the possibility that they wouldn't just be easily executed, but had to live the remainder of their
    miserable lives at the mercy of human beings who very likely are in the same category of the people they plan to
    hurt, they would think twice.

Hell is not fire and brimstone... hell is being in a bed, unable to turn yourself, burning bed sores on your body, starving,
    flies on your face being unable to swat them away, surrounded by the scent of your own rotting defecation... because
    you burned away any sympathy anyone would have had for you.
    Last edited by Concequence; 2013-09-13 at 07:30 PM.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Concequence View Post
    Indeed, Let them live, but cut off their limbs, and their "junk" ... let them suffer the life of a helpless person.
    Pretty sure that's closer to the Dark Ages than just killing them and being done with it. :P

The death sentence was completely justified.

There is nothing short of this that would allow them to effectively pay their debt to society over this. They have proven themselves a danger to others with just how far this crime went.

And to those who say there would be a better way? Name one, cause even if you held them for 60 years, it would still be a threat to release these guys again.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Pretty sure that's closer to the Dark Ages than just killing them and being done with it. :P
    We send people to war... they come back with all that blown off. And they "our heroes" live this hell. But criminals die swiftly and humanely.

Which Dark Age do you refer to... because I'm very sure we live in it right now.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Where is the need? Where is the benefit?
    The need is to prevent a repeat offense, which if Mooneye's article is correct, is as high as 70% in India for rape (unclear on torture/murder, my work firewall is strict). The benefit is tax dollars saved.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    The need is to prevent a repeat offense, which if Mooneye's article is correct, is as high as 70% in India for rape (unclear on torture/murder, my work firewall is strict). The benefit is tax dollars saved.
    Life sentences do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    The death sentence was completely justified.

There is nothing short of this that would allow them to effectively pay their debt to society over this. They have proven themselves a danger to others with just how far this crime went.

And to those who say there would be a better way? Name one, cause even if you held them for 60 years, it would still be a threat to release these guys again.
    I very much disagree this is paying their debt. Death is an escape. ... a way out. In expectation to life in prison often prisoners will find a way to do it themselves.
    Avoiding the "punishment" they deserve. The truly miserable hate filled people of this world will commit crimes and end their lives when they see a threat of being caught. They suffer no punishment, they have their exit plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put them in maximum jail. Barring the fact it's humane.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madd77 View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure death penalties prevent repeat offenses.
    Well, it's hard to repeat any crime when you're dead, really.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-09-13 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madd77 View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure death penalties prevent repeat offenses.
    Given our level of accuracy, they're also real good at preventing first offences.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I very much disagree this is paying their debt. Death is an escape. ... a way out. In expectation to life in prison often prisoners will find a way to do it themselves.
    Avoiding the "punishment" they deserve. The truly miserable hate filled people of this world will commit crimes and end their lives when they see a threat of being caught. They suffer no punishment, they have their exit plan.
    Well, the only more appropriate punishment I could honestly think of would be to put them in an AMERICAN maximum security prison in general population while letting all the inmates know exactly what these guys were in there for.

But otherwise, just putting them in for life will result in the people paying for them to have 3 hots and a cot and while that life isn't the best, I have seen a few who actually prefer that life to the outside world.

Honestly still not sure how killing them can cost more than having them in jail their whole life. I can see how it can cost more than having them in jail for 1 year, but not 40+ years.

And we can't actually allow the torture and other such to these guys as punishment, as much as these guys deserve it, it is too slippery of a slope to allow them that option.

While I think death penalty itself is questionable law but no symphathy is given from me for these scums.

Does anyone have a credible source as to what the repeat offences for homicides, rape are per country? Doing so will help us determinate as to whether or not a prison sentence is legit in length, and whether or not the rehabilitation policies within the given country work and several other factors.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure they wont be mistreated by the nurses in the care facilities in jail. If people who consider this kind of
    horrible crime, saw the possibility that they wouldn't just be easily executed, but had to live the remainder of their
    miserable lives at the mercy of human beings who very likely are in the same category of the people they plan to
    hurt, they would think twice.

Hell is not fire and brimstone... hell is being in a bed, unable to turn yourself, burning bed sores on your body, starving,
    flies on your face being unable to swat them away, surrounded by the scent of your own rotting defecation... because
    you burned away any sympathy anyone would have had for you.
    Anyone who would advocate for such punishment is a monster. I hope you are kidding, cause it really isn't funny.

India is facing a really tough problem; their reaction is reactionary to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    How is it 'sick'?
    To relish in the reaction of one about to know they're going to die, is sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    In order for your position to have any consistency, you would also have to object to any use of incarceration, or punishment of any kind when applied to people who violate the law. Putting someone in jail denies them their freedom. Punishing them denies them their pursuit of happiness. But - of course - such an position is utterly specious. Anyone who selectively wishes to say that you can't apply a death penalty because the Constitution says Life is an inalienable right, but at the same time that person is totally cool with taking away the "inalienable rights" of Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness, is just a Class A hypocrite.

of course a society needs to be able to enforce its rule, but if these are the beliefs we as a society hold, then we must not so carelessly and needlessly trample on them.
    Imposing Justice on those who have violated society by holding them accountable is neither careless nor needless. Creatures such as the ones that are the subject of the OP have been found guilty. There is no question of their guilt. The only thing remaining is the imposition of a just punishment for their crimes.

Capital punishment and life in prison without parole are both equally effective at removing an individual from society.
    Maintaining the life of a person in prison burdens society with that criminals presence for as long as they live in the form of taxes, resources, food, clothing, guards, and so on. It doesn't remove them from society. It permanently cumbers society with that person's presence like a manacle. The only societal remnant of the violator after capital punishment is the gravestone.

Capital punishment does not work as a deterrent. Where is the need? Where is the benefit?
    I have never said that CP is a deterrent. Some make that claim. To me such a justification is irrelevant and unnecessary. Justice in and of itself is a virtue that justifies its own existence and requires no explanation. It exists beyond the need for any such trappings in the same way that Charity, Honesty, or Love does. Justice simply exists as understood, fundamental reality. The "need" is simply that people violate Justice. The "benefit" is simply that Justice is satisfied. You could just as easily ask, "Where is the "need" to be honest?" or "Where is the 'benefit' in being fair"? The benefit/need is that society is honest, fair, and just. Everyone benefits in that kind of society as they are Universal Goods.
    Last edited by The Riddler; 2013-09-13 at 08:45 PM.