Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I can't think of a single aspect where Ultima is better than WoW, and I'm a WoW hater. I'm sorry you don't see that's pure nostalgia.
    What? Leveling in WoW is better than in Ultima, in your opinion? Well... I have a hard time answering such statements.

I don't even know why we are talking about WoW here. It is such a dumb and easy game that it goes to my list of games as the greatest RPG disaster in history. 1-shotting mobs on 80 levels out of 90 - I haven't seen such idiocy even in cheap class B games from anonymous companies. In Ultima you didn't 1-shot anything - most often it is you who are 1-shot.

I'm inclined to think you didn't try as many game as you're saying you did.
    You are free to think whatever you please, dude. Your thoughts do not stop me from enjoying classic old titles such as Supaplex, although it is certainly a terrible game since it doesn't use mouse and has DOS graphics. But, well, I am an ancient old man, I cannot possibly understand how great CoD and WoW actually are.

Lets see recent game purchases I remember... Skyrim, Mass Effect Series, Dragon Age, Civ 5, Shogun 2, Witcher 2, Xcom, I've bought others but they aren't really memorable.

Really I've been going back and replaying PS2 games and buying PS and PS2 games I never got back in the day off Amazon or Ebay. Strategy and RPG's are rare genres these days.

I felt the same way as you OP until I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. That series has given me hope for the future of gaming and helped me expand my interests in games that deliver challenge as opposed to narrative and have since been actively seeking games that employ that mantra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

The Need for Speed (1995)
    Need for Speed II (1997)
    Need for Speed: V-Rally (1997)
    Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998)
    Need For Speed: V-Rally 2 (1999)
    Need for Speed: High Stakes (1999)
    Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002)
    Need for Speed: Underground (2003)
    Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
    Need for Speed: Underground Rivals (2005 PlayStation)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
    Need for Speed: Carbon (2006)
    Need for Speed: ProStreet (2007)
    Need for Speed: Undercover (21. nov 2008)
    Need for Speed: Shift (15. sept 2009)
    Need for Speed: Nitro (2009)
    Need for Speed: World (2010)
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010)
    Need for Speed: Shift 2 - Unleashed (2011)
    Need for Speed: The Run (2012)
    Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)
    Need for Speed: Rivals (2013)
    You forgot to add Need for Speed (The Movie) due out 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't want to admit it, but I'm starting to get similar feelings. For me, however, it's not that I'm not interested in new titles or I find them boring. I just have a hard time finishing them and staying invested. For example, I started up Beyond: Two Souls and had amazing first impressions. It was fun, engaging, interesting, etc. but to this day I have not finished it. Similarly, I had a blast playing GTAV but have not finished it. Others include: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Pokemon Y, Red Dead Redemption (yes, I'm serious), Assassins Creed 4, Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Spec Ops: The Line, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, and much much more.

I thought all of them were fun games, but I just can't seem to bloody finish them. I even tried re-playing some of my favorite oldies to see if it was some hidden problem I have with these new games, but I couldn't play through anything. I'm only 25, damn it! I'm still young! I want to play video games forever

10+ Year Old Account
    I am so tired of military games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Its not the age....its just that games put too much in grafic instead of a gameplay. And there are too console like.
    I think it's not just graphics, I think current generation game companies simply spend a shitload of money on marketing and not a whole lot on actually creating the game to be fun. So while a game may be hyped, it is ultimately very forgettable.

I share the same feelings as the OP. I prefer replaying older games over the newer stuff. I still occasionally play Red Alert 2 over LAN because it's damn entertaining. But newer games? Honestly, I don't think I've been truly excited for a game for quite a few years now. Everything that comes out these days is just crap. I'm actually having more fun playing simple browser flash games. They don't have fancy graphics but they're fun, and there's a shitload of variety to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Would say it's nostalgia. It's not like quake is good in reality. Any shooter today that isn't completely broken is better, have more options etc.
    That being said i played quake far the most. Unreal tournament too.
    I don't agree it's just nostalgia. Somehow newer shooters don't have the sense of freedom of movement the older games had. Now it's all about taking cover and leaning behind corners and such. Old arena style shooters were just about speed and whoever could aim best. I prefer that type of FPS.

Compare Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament to some of the newer Call of Duty games, it's just not the same. Most newer FPS are too clunky for my taste. The only current FPS I can think of that still feels somewhat like the old arena style shooters is Halo. But I'm not going to buy a new Xbox or paying for Xbox live. The other exception is a FPS like Rainbow Six Vegas, which is all about seeking cover and playing cautious, which is a very different playstyle but I still like it. I guess I just don't like a mix of the two.

Having said that, there are a few relatively new games out there that I like. Fallout 3 for example was a lot of fun, Skyrim as well. GTA 4 was fun and while I haven't played 5 yet (waiting for PC) I think it'll be fun. But the vast majority of games (like 90 or 95%) simply doesn't interest me. I guess that could be part due to growing up and not liking gaming as much as I used to, but I think it's also due to game companies having a different target audience and spending too much on marketing compared to actual game development.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    I'm just inn the same boat. Its been VERY hard to fill the void after I quit/nearly stopped with wow last 1-2 years.

I tried Rift - Meh bored quit after 1 month, BUT good exsperience and fun for the time being.

ARPGS like Diablo3, Torchlight, POE and when Van helsing gets patched (Currently bugged for me...indie lol!). All good time killers, and I hope Diablo3 will get some glory back. Didn't think POE was much good, and Torchlight2 got booring after 80-100 hours played.

Else I bought other random games on steam like Sleeping dogs (GTA asian clone, pretty good if you get it on sale), and currently playing Kingdoms of Amalur, but its getting booring as hell after 50-60 hours - Almost done even, but that last push is booring when your max level already, got some decent gear and the questes are all the same. And no titels but Pokemon on my 3DS had me interested, trough I must have clocked 600-800 hours pokemon by now.

With all thoes games + others like the odd Sims2 when I feel like building houses, and looking up other games constantly I still haven't been able to play as much as Id like. So 1½ year ago, back that summer I installed Age off empires 2 aswell. And I don't regret it- I played it so FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING much, it feels like its the only thing I'm doing sometimes. I'm afraid I did over 1000 games already if you count all my voobly, AOE2 HD and vs AI games together.
    Try Dark Souls >=)
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Have you tried Portal 2? Genuinely one of the best games i have ever played.
    Portal 2 was fun, although there is no replay value so it's still a forgettable experience. :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Having said that, there are a few relatively new games out there that I like. Fallout 3 for example was a lot of fun, Skyrim as well. GTA 4 was fun and while I haven't played 5 yet (waiting for PC) I think it'll be fun. But the vast majority of games (like 90 or 95%) simply doesn't interest me. I guess that could be part due to growing up and not liking gaming as much as I used to, but I think it's also due to game companies having a different target audience and spending too much on marketing compared to actual game development.
    Most of the current games that are really good are just sequels/remakes of the old titles. Just from your list: Fallout 3 is a second sequel to Fallout that was published in 1997; Skyrim is a Nth sequel to The Elder Scrolls first released in 1994 (!); GTA 4 is a Nth sequel to GTA released in 1997.

Really, the only relatively original game I really liked in the last 10 years was Mass Effect series, and even this is not a really original series since nearly everything, except for combat, is just taken from Baldur's Gate-like games, and the combat is just a copy of Gears of War.

I miss 90-s when principally new games came out many times a year. Supaplex, Gobliiins, Dune 2, Age of Empires, Doom, Quake, Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Warcraft, Wolfenstein 3D, Tyrian, Evil Islands, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Jedi Knight, Ultima Online, SimCity, Civilization - all these games were very innovative for their time and are still played today by many people, and I mentioned only the titles I remember the most, while there is like 100 more games that were also incredible to play at the time.

Now it's mostly WoW-based MMOs, CoD- and BF-like FPS, and a wagon of remakes and sequels to the old titles. Nothing really innovative has been done in quite a while. Sure, Starcraft 2 is better than Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3, but, in its core, it's still the same game, and playing the same game for almost 2 decades can become tedious in the end.

When Age of Empires came out, the game looked so innovative and perfect that people literally forgot about all other RTS games for a while and couldn't stop playing the game; they discussed it in schools, in universities, on work... The last game I was excited about at least 10% of excitement with AoE was Mass Effect series, and before that I don't remember anything like this since KotoR, that was released back in 2003...
    Last edited by May90; 2013-12-19 at 12:00 PM.

Deleted
    Have you tried looking at indie titles? A lot of the indie games are innovative,interesting, and a breath of fresh air considering most AAA titles are all the fucking same at this point.

Kind of...

James do not fuck up Reborn! :>

Meh, people are jaded. The nostalgia glasses are strong in this thread. Games nowadays aren't worse than they were. There's some great ones. You just need to avoid EA type companies. Steam has been a breath of life in the games industry because indie titles cant compete with the marketing budget of EA type companies, but with Steam people still see them. Maybe big companies will get a half a clue that wow these indie games that purposely have low graphic quality yet great gameplay are really popular, maybe we should try that instead of blowing 90% of our budget on pretty graphics.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Well... I have a hard time answering such statements.
    I know. You actually started the thread saying you don't why modern games are bad, so I wasn't really expecting an answer...

You are free to think whatever you please, dude. Your thoughts do not stop me from enjoying classic old titles such as Supaplex, although it is certainly a terrible game since it doesn't use mouse and has DOS graphics. But, well, I am an ancient old man, I cannot possibly understand how great CoD and WoW actually are.
    I never said you couldn't understand Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. I'm saying that you're more worried about bashing modern games rather than open yourself to them. I don't think you're stupid, I think you're stubborn. There's a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Most of the current games that are really good are just sequels/remakes of the old titles. Just from your list: Fallout 3 is a second sequel to Fallout that was published in 1997; Skyrim is a Nth sequel to The Elder Scrolls first released in 1994 (!); GTA 4 is a Nth sequel to GTA released in 1997.

Really, the only relatively original game I really liked in the last 10 years was Mass Effect series, and even this is not a really original series since nearly everything, except for combat, is just taken from Baldur's Gate-like games, and the combat is just a copy of Gears of War.

I miss 90-s when principally new games came out many times a year. Supaplex, Gobliiins, Dune 2, Age of Empires, Doom, Quake, Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Warcraft, Wolfenstein 3D, Tyrian, Evil Islands, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Jedi Knight, Ultima Online, SimCity, Civilization - all these games were very innovative for their time and are still played today by many people, and I mentioned only the titles I remember the most, while there is like 100 more games that were also incredible to play at the time.

Now it's mostly WoW-based MMOs, CoD- and BF-like FPS, and a wagon of remakes and sequels to the old titles. Nothing really innovative has been done in quite a while. Sure, Starcraft 2 is better than Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3, but, in its core, it's still the same game, and playing the same game for almost 2 decades can become tedious in the end.

When Age of Empires came out, the game looked so innovative and perfect that people literally forgot about all other RTS games for a while and couldn't stop playing the game; they discussed it in schools, in universities, on work... The last game I was excited about at least 10% of excitement with AoE was Mass Effect series, and before that I don't remember anything like this since KotoR, that was released back in 2003...
    How can you knock Mass Effect for lack of originality for copying Baldur's Gate, and then in the same breath praise the list of games several of which borrowed heavily from each other.

Quake borrowed from Doom, which borrowed from Wolfenstein 3D. Mass effect (although the combat has evolved throughout the series) borrowed more from KOTOR, which borrowed from NWN. There are still plenty of innovative games with new features. Perhaps not from the likes of EA or the scores of MMOs seeking to steal some of WoW's thunder, but they are out there, and plenty of them.

Furthermore, if you want to credit Baldur's Gate for being original, you'd have to credit Fallout 3 as well. The only thing either game shares with earlier works based in their respective worlds' is their source material.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm saying that you're more worried about bashing modern games rather than open yourself to them.
    What do you mean by "open yourself to them"? Does it mean that I should play games I don't enjoy and keep saying to myself that I'm just being nostalgic and, actually, these games are good?

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Quake borrowed from Doom, which borrowed from Wolfenstein 3D. Mass effect (although the combat has evolved throughout the series) borrowed more from KOTOR, which borrowed from NWN. There are still plenty of innovative games with new features. Perhaps not from the likes of EA or the scores of MMOs seeking to steal some of WoW's thunder, but they are out there, and plenty of them.
    What I meant was that every one of these games featured something new and original, something that was not typical for games back then. Wolfenstein 3D was - wow, the "first" (don't bash me, I know it is not the first, but for most people it was) FPS! Doom was - wow, the "first" pseudo-3D FPS! Quake was - wow, the first true-3D FPS! Jedi Knight was - wow, the first FPS not focused on ranged weapons! Every one of these games was played as something new, something that has never existed before. And purchase of such game was an event of the month, at least, if not of the year.

Yes, I'm aware that it's harder to develop something completely new when most of the ideas have already been tried. Still, there are so many original ideas developers can try. But it is way safer to release Call of Duty 20543534 than to actually think a bit outside the box and make something that has never existed before. The latter approach is risky: what if customers don't like the innovation? What if the game is raped in reviews by authors preferring the old approach? It is just financially ineffective to make something new from scratch today, when you can spend 100 times less resources and release a game that will be popular since its previous version was popular as well.

Revamps existed back in 90-s as well. But they were real revamps. Age of Empires 2 is a completely different game to Age of Empires 1. CoD:MW3 and CoD:MW2 are the same shitty game, without any changes except for minor graphical refinements.

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Try Dark Souls >=)
    Yea lets play a bad console port...No, would never bother despite how good people make it out to be.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    i know what you mean , the only (single player)game in the recent years was dragon age origins, there have been more good tittales in the years ofcourse but none of them appealed to me to replay them.
    I guess "age" is the thing you can blame , i'm only 24 but i think i might start outgrowing the "gaming"

Games have become Hollywood. They make more money than Hollywood movies. It was never like this before.

10+ Year Old Account
    New games suffer from overcomplication. Look at HoMM3 and new one (6 i guess?) It's really hard to enjoy the last one when you replay it. Same goes for Mass Effect, Dragon Age, KotoR and such, they are really hard to enjoy when you know plot. What plot was in HoMM3? No one cared about it, i don't know a single person who finished campaign because it was repetitive and boring. Everyone played multiplayer instead.

Developers invest too much effort in making plot and cut scenes and graphics, because there is little to nothing to do with game. Yesterday i bought endless space, and, basically, it's civ in space. Without campaign or tutorial, this game just throws you in the water and you have to figure out everything by yourself instead of feeding you plot, game mechanics and tactics from spoon.

So, to answer your question: No, i don't bored by new titles, i bored by boring games. I played KotoR once, and i don't want to play it again because i know all quests and plot twists in it. Gameplay wasn't that good for me to want to play it again (pause, 1,1,1,1 on easy/normal, pause, buffs, 1,1,1,1 if you are on hard). It was fun to play it, but they fed all quests and all plot to me out of spoon.

Same goes with Diablo series, it's hard to force yourself through already finished content as new character (this one is tricky, diablo series made great gameplay and replayability, but lack of quests is what made it boring for me. It was pure hack&slash game, it wasn't an RPG) because i wanted to feel how is it to play as Paladin instead of Sorc for example.

SC2 WoL campaign was, kinda, "meh" if you compare it to HotS, because you had to pick certain upgrades (you can't get them all) and there was situations when one upgraded unit was very good in certain missions, but wasn't used at all in another. So, this campaign for me finished like "drop raxes build marines". They improved it in HotS be not requiring you to farm credits to get upgrades, you could pick any of 3 upgrades per unit before starting mission.

From my experience, less cut scenes game has, less boring it will be.

And after reading this thread little more, OP, you should check new games, not over-hyped things like CoD or deus ex. If you want FPS game where you will have to move fast shoot things and dodge rockets play serious sam, doom is really really crappy game for today standarts.

And back in 90s there was CDs with "1000 best games for computer" label, what the actual fuck? Back then like 90% of games were total bullshit (left-to-right moving shooters). All games you remember is good, because you forgot games that were total garbage and (thank god) was forgotten and removed from history.

Actually, i remember one RTS from 90s, it was called "beasts and humans" i believe. You had small village and you had to increase population (random, male+female=1 baby) to make defenders and defend from wolves and bears. I paid for that crap 10$, it was total bullshit, because sometimes there was no one but female (male) born, your male (female) died from age/wolves and you can't repopulate your village (average village by the way was 5 people)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-27 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.