Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Is there any law in America banning being gay that is actually upheld ? Like some states have laws against sodomy but can't recall the last time I heard of someone getting 3-5 for sodomy. Can't say I've heard of gays being arrested, fined or detained for being gay either.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Is there any law in America banning being gay that is actually upheld ? Like some states have laws against sodomy but can't recall the last time I heard of someone getting 3-5 for sodomy. Can't say I've heard of gays being arrested, fined or detained for being gay either.
    You can't be arrested for being gay, but anyone gay married who moves to a state in which it's banned isn't concidered legaly wed and doesn't gain any state marriage benifits (Though they can still get federal benifits, thanks to DOMA being gone.).

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was in high school two kids got caught having sex in their car. Usually they just got told to go do it somewhere else, but everyonce in awhile a couple would get slapped with a public indecency misdemeanor and get a few hours of community service. But this couple happened to be gay, and I guess the cop was having a bad day or something because they got slapped with not only public indecency but also Gross indecency and sexual delinquency. At one point they were looking at five years, before enough people stood outside the courthouse and charges were dropped to public indecency.

Ha that came out of nowhere. Way to go mr Robert

10+ Year Old Account
    The judge in this case is an Obama appointee. Looks like the hopey changey thing is working to an extent.

Quote Originally Posted by crackleslap View Post
    Meanwhile Australia annulled it's only state or territory (A.C.T - territory) with same-sex marriage. /sigh Liberal my ass.
    The Australia Liberal party seems to stand for vulgar libertarianism.

In theory, the sodomy laws are no longer enforceable since Lawrence v. Texas in 2003.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The judge in this case is an Obama appointee. Looks like the hopey changey thing is working to an extent.
    Fun fact, Mike Lee and Orin Hatch endorsed his nomination.

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

10+ Year Old Account
    See, they where right! Gay marriage DID effect "traditional" marriage.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't believe the chaos on my facebook...it's delicious!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    You won't believe the chaos on my facebook...it's delicious!
    I can imagine it's somewhat embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    You can't be arrested for being gay, but anyone gay married who moves to a state in which it's banned isn't concidered legaly wed and doesn't gain any state marriage benifits (Though they can still get federal benifits, thanks to DOMA being gone.).
    There-in lies the problem we should all really be focusing on. Being married, gay or straight, should grant no federal or state benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I can imagine it's somewhat embarrassing
    That is certainly one word that can be used to describe it. I'm seeing a lot of friendships broken over the issue...I've opted to remain quiet, but am secretly enjoying the chaos.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they can lump utah and texas into the same place and fence it off from the rest of the world, let the 1% of free thinkers in those states get out first.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe that! All states/Countries need recognize Gay Marriage as a human right!

10+ Year Old Account
    @Hastings: They were legally married, so they can and absolutely should sue. The state has no case...they were legally married.

With that said, gay marriage has not been struck down in Utah yet. The Supreme Court only allowed Utah a stay while they review the case. I don't see how Utah can win this, and fully expect SCOTUS to rule marriage a human right, but I've been wrong before. They will be under a lot of pressure because their decision here will affect all states.

10+ Year Old Account
    I notice he last guy deleted his post before it could be commented on. something about 'good for them for standing up for themselves'. Oh yes, when americans prevented black people from having rights decades ago, i'm sure it was a bound statement for human rights when they told all black men and women they couldn't sit at the front of buses.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I notice he last guy deleted his post before it could be commented on. something about 'good for them for standing up for themselves'. Oh yes, when americans prevented black people from having rights decades ago, i'm sure it was a bound statement for human rights when they told all black men and women they couldn't sit at the front of buses.
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gay_marriage
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    With that said, gay marriage has not been struck down in Utah yet. The Supreme Court only allowed Utah a stay while they review the case. I don't see how Utah can win this, and fully expect SCOTUS to rule marriage a human right, but I've been wrong before. They will be under a lot of pressure because their decision here will affect all states.
    Supreme court isn't reviewing anything yet. The stay is pending the appeal to the 10th circuit court. After they rule, it may head to the supreme court. Or they could deny certiorari and leave the circuit ruling to stand, which would also apply to Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Supreme court isn't reviewing anything yet. The stay is pending the appeal to the 10th circuit court. After they rule, it may head to the supreme court. Or they could deny certiorari and leave the circuit ruling to stand, which would also apply to Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Wyoming.
    Huh, you're right. I thought the appeals court had denied their request in December? Did they appeal again? I'm getting most my info from Facebook, which as you can imagine is booming with this discussion. *goes to Google*