Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Someone needs to make a Warhammer 40k MMO ...

... where there is only one class ... Inquisitor.

The profession is perfect for an RPG. You will travel all over the universe as your duties require, dealing with the threats to the Imperium in whatever ways you see fit. You can recruit NPC acolytes. Occasionally work with other Inquisitors. Even call upon the Space Marine Chapters in special circumstances - this probably has to be scripted; it would be kind of nuts to have that level of power all the time.

Why hasn't anyone done one yet?!

Edit: The reason I suggested only one class, the Inquisitor, is because it's the one job that involves much traveling, recruiting of party members and has few to no constraints in regards to behavior. The perfect fit for an RPG.

In contrast, "jobs" like the Space Marines aren't going to work in an RPG, the only "exciting" part of their job is when they are called to the battlefield (and they are always in a unit; so no soloing), otherwise they do what real life marines do, train - which is about as interesting as watching paint dry from a gaming perspective.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-01-04 at 11:49 AM.

Well, you'd have to trust black library to not screw up their IP by selecting an incompetent developer than leave the game underfunded to languish away for years before poofing.

I don't think it is a good idea, considering the entire concept was originally a joke to begin with.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egoism View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea, considering the entire concept was originally a joke to begin with.
    I take it you mean that the original work was meant as satire. Well ... Things have a habit of taking on a life of own. Look at the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The 40k universe is relatively consistent and believable - maybe only if you are pessimist like me. LOL

What I like about it, as a game universe, is that you can kill without any guilt whatsoever. The world is just so fucked up and so dangerous that mercy is not a option.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-01-04 at 05:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i thought they were making one?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Well, you'd have to trust black library to not screw up their IP by selecting an incompetent developer than leave the game underfunded to languish away for years before poofing.
    The danger is, that they might try to copy WoW.

That will doom the game from the get go for many reasons, among them are,
    A) if people wanted to play WoW they would play WoW, not a clone
    B) the "jobs" in the universe don't fit the D&D formula, trying to shoehorn it in will just destroy it

This is why I suggest only one class, the Inquisitor, the one job that involves much traveling, recruiting of party members and has few to no constraints in regards to behavior. In contrast, "jobs" like the Space Marines aren't going to work in an RPG, the only "exciting" part of their job is when they are called to the battlefield (they are always in a unit), otherwise they do what real life marines do, train.
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2014-01-04 at 05:21 AM.

You're describing what could be an interesting single player game, but an MMO with a single role? Not gonna happen.
    ( ; , , ; )

I'd play it. One of my favorite gaming universes.

The "Eternal Crusade" is in development, but sounds more like an online shooter, tbh. Hopefully it will be good.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vightnic View Post
    You're describing what could be an interesting single player game, but an MMO with a single role? Not gonna happen.
    Keep cloning WoW ... It has worked out so well for the various "pretenders to the throne" over the last 9 years.

Also just because there is only one class, doesn't mean everyone is the same. The Inquisition has many branches. While Inquisitors aren't limited to any branch, they do specialize somewhat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tumppu View Post
    I'd play it. One of my favorite gaming universes.

The "Eternal Crusade" is in development, but sounds more like an online shooter, tbh. Hopefully it will be good.
    IMHO FPSs are what the Space Marines are good for.

Deleted
    Sounds more like stuff for a single player game to me, too

Sure, the OP's game sound like a cool concept. It is not an MMO or sustainable as an MMO. I mean, how would it even function from a rules and mechanics standpoint?

Everyone is an Inquisitor... as an MMO?

No, that's just kinda silly. No one would fund such a thing at all.

There is a 40k MMO in the works: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

We even have a Megathread on the new MMO: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ternal-Crusade

10+ Year Old Account
    You should play Dark Heresy.

You forgot Rogue Traders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Real men play commisars.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Sure, the OP's game sound like a cool concept. It is not an MMO or sustainable as an MMO. I mean, how would it even function from a rules and mechanics standpoint?

Everyone is an Inquisitor... as an MMO?

No, that's just kinda silly. No one would fund such a thing at all.
    The reason I suggested only one class, the Inquisitor, is because it's the one job that involves much traveling, recruiting of party members and has few to no constraints in regards to behavior. The perfect fit for an RPG.

In contrast, "jobs" like the Space Marines aren't going to work in an RPG, the only "exciting" part of their job is when they are called to the battlefield (and they are always in a unit; so no soloing), otherwise they do what real life marines do, train - which is about as interesting as watching paint dry from a gaming perspective.

There is a 40k MMO in the works: http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

We even have a Megathread on the new MMO: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ternal-Crusade
    If they are cloning WoW (and D&D indirectly), it isn't going to end well ... I can't imagine the tank/healer/dps holy trinity working in the 40k universe. There is no such thing there!!!

The ultimate mmo off all time would be a 40k mmo with millions of planets to exlore, space combat and land battles, whole planets for your chapter to customize, many races and loads more, it have so much potential the universe it's not even funny there is so much stuff.

Im exited for Eternal Crusade and the team are all warhammer nerds and will make it as close to lore as they can, but it will only be land battles not space combat but im fine with that, more focus on one part is good.

Deleted
    http://www.warhammeronline.com/

it closed down because it was pretty shit though

Deleted
    There is one the making but it's gonna suck ass. It will not be an MMORPG but rather yet another of those "arena multiplayer" games where you pick up a class, loadout and go smash stuff in a battleground.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lashmoo View Post
    You should play Dark Heresy.
    Or better yet, Black Crusade.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    http://www.warhammeronline.com/

it closed down because it was pretty shit though
    That's Warhammer Fantasy... ._.