Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naplam View Post
    Would also like to point out that the goggles from Eng will likely be overshadowed with the MC event rewarding helms.
    The MC helm is crit/haste, and right now there is no chance of playing fire pre 4 set, engi goggles are the same ilvl, upgradable to ilvl 675 and are random stats, meaning you could roll perfect stats on it. Being BoE also means you would have to be pumping out one of these on all of your alts as well to try to roll the right stats to min/max, which is exactly the thing Blizz was trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    Polar, I went and farmed up mats for enchanting, Hypnotic Dust is the tough one (11g+ per on my server). Waiting till Pre-release to move Blacksmith to Enchant, as my BS sockets will exist till then.
    I plan to just spam dungeons and whatnot to get it up to Mists level, then using what I have + my spirits of harmony, then I'm just stopping there til WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    The MC helm is crit/haste, and right now there is no chance of playing fire pre 4 set, engi goggles are the same ilvl, upgradable to ilvl 675 and are random stats, meaning you could roll perfect stats on it. Being BoE also means you would have to be pumping out one of these on all of your alts as well to try to roll the right stats to min/max, which is exactly the thing Blizz was trying to avoid.
    And what iLevel is the helm? If it's at least the 1st upgrade level (matching 650), it'd be pretty pointless to bother with the goggles. The price alone just makes it not worth it, and it'll take you 112.5 days from the daily cooldown alone (no work orders) to get the 450 Gearspring parts, on top of requiring 30 Savage Blood, 40 Sorc Water and 30 Sorc Air, PLUS 10 Gearspring parts (2.5 cooldowns each) to reroll it. If you don't have a raiding helm by then, I have no idea why you would even bother with min-maxing.

PS: 450 Gearspring Parts = 1125 True Iron and Blackrock Ores. By all means, if you really want to waste that many mats on a temporary upgrade, go right ahead. I'll settle with my Crit/Haste MC helm until I get my tier piece. The price is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-26 at 06:02 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    I disagree actually because even in Vanilla where the professions gave no bonuses, they were still leveled up and were even harder to do so!
    Not really something you want to compare to.. You had weapon oils, Sharpening stones, flasks, resist potions.. all which needed lots and lots of grinding to get, so you wanted to have those professions just to be able to raid with somewhat decent effiency. You really wanted herbalism on at least 1 of your characters back then.. Constantly running winterspring for Black Lotuses. So kinda were forced to run Herb+ Enchanting on my Mage just to have enough for stuff Flasks and oils for each raid.. also yeah potions were also a pain, so herbing helped on those as well.

Nowdays(also in WoD) you can just buy stuff from the AH and don't really have to worry about anything when it comes to raiding. What am really trying to say is that back then you were semi-forced into certain professions either cause your guild wanted you to or you wanted to be more efficient with your grinding, effiency was the name of the game. Less time grinding mats = more time raiding. Only thing that is somewhat the same is the Darkmoon trinkets nowdays, you want them as fast as possible, but after you got em for most of your guild.. inscription need lowers considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Not really something you want to compare to.. You had weapon oils, Sharpening stones, flasks, resist potions..

Nowdays(also in WoD) you can just buy stuff from the AH and don't really have to worry about anything when it comes to raiding.
    I don't see the difference. Sharpening/Grinding Stones and Oils for example were not tied to the profession, only crafting it was. Flasks and Potions obviously are still just as mandatory, but can still be bought. Yes, money was tight back then, but you could still do it. In LK-MoP, you wouldn't even be considered by a half-decent guild if you weren't 600/600 in TWO relevant professions (e.g., me applying to a guild as a Miner/Herbalist would get me laughed at)
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

I don't see the difference.
    Difference was Black Lotus for example was really rare(not really if you knew what you were doing) and on certain spawn timer.. Still getting 5-8 of them for each progression raid weren't too easy, so you had to camp em and be a herbalist to get em. Also you didn't just buy stuff from AH, as on a high raiding pop realm, there weren't things to buy most of the time, guild banks took everything they could and well that weren't enough for everyone so some people had to volunteer to grind the mats themselves. Money was also really tight, you didn't really have time to get money till much later in the expansion when you could grind Tyr's Hand or Hearthglen with ease and economy started going up so you could get more money from professions themselves for stuff like epic mounts, we still had people riding at 60% when we were in AQ, just cause all the money they had went to raiding. Ofc on other realms it might have been different, but at least on the realms I resided on people raided a lot, 10 or so hardcore raiding guilds and many more semi-hc ones.

Just remember what your original argument was.. You were saying Vanilla didn't have profession benefits(passive stats) either and people grinded them, well now in WoD you can pick what ever you want. Literally anything goes, hell you can even go with no profs now.. That weren't the case in Vanilla, and that was the point I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Just remember what your original argument was.. You were saying Vanilla didn't have profession benefits(passive stats) either and people grinded them, well now in WoD you can pick what ever you want. Literally anything goes, hell you can even go with no profs now.. That weren't the case in Vanilla, and that was the point I was making.
    You still could have, it just won't be efficient, just like WoD. If you go with 0 professions in WoD, you're going to be buying literally everything. The only difference is that money is easier to get. I get your point, but I don't fully agree with it

At this point though, we're probably just going to agree to disagree and nothing is coming from this, so... :X

So after a brief look at that picture, and a search on wowhead, it seems you can craft anything, even epics, without having the profession? Not ALL, but most things people will want? What's the point in that exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    So after a brief look at that picture, and a search on wowhead, it seems you can craft anything, even epics, without having the profession? Not ALL, but most things people will want? What's the point in that exactly?
    You can craft anything, but only upgrade it if you have the full profession, the key here will be getting it to that 3/3 upgrade, meaning that clothies will want to actually be trained in tailoring to be able to upgrade the cloth BoEs

Quote Originally Posted by voltaa View Post
    You can craft anything, but only upgrade it if you have the full profession, the key here will be getting it to that 3/3 upgrade, meaning that clothies will want to actually be trained in tailoring to be able to upgrade the cloth BoEs
    Ok i guess that's a fair difference. Any other difference apart from upgrades? It's actually hard to find the info to verify it. I mean, for Enchanting, you can only do the majority of weapon enchants when you have the profession?

Not anything, guys. You forgot the daily cooldown (you do get the Work Order though), Battle Standards, and the 30 slot bags! Also some other stuff: Murloc Chew Toy, the new carpet mount, Elekk Plushie pet, and the Miniature Carpet (Pet?), in addition to the upgrade items (which are not BoP mind you).

Also, that's just tailoring. Other professions aren't as generous.

Ok i guess that's a fair difference. Any other difference apart from upgrades? It's actually hard to find the info to verify it. I mean, for Enchanting, you can only do the majority of weapon enchants when you have the profession?
    Enchanting as a profession gets you the following:
    - Daily Cooldown for Dust => Crystals
    - Daily(?) Cooldown for Shard => Crystals
    - All Weapon Enchants
    - Weapon Illusions (transmog glows)
    - Disenchant as a spell, not as a function only at your garrison (disenchant roll unlocked and can disenchant anywhere)

I've spent pretty much the entirety of my time on beta for Mage, Garrison, and Professions, so if you want a more compiled list, I could try to do that, though if you want a list of all the new recipes, here: http://wod.wowhead.com/spells=11.333...A6%3Bcrv=0%3A0

^ Use that link and change the profession to your choice, then, compare the list of new recipes to the picture of small plot professions.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-26 at 07:38 PM.

At this point though, we're probably just going to agree to disagree and nothing is coming from this, so... :X
    No you are right, just I'm trying to point out that in Vanilla, at least from HC side of things, you had no time to do anything else than farm or raid on your average day. Also if you did some PvP at the same time the problem of time was even worse. In WoD, your gold gains are probably enough so you can just ignore professions for quite some time considering there is so much time from launch till first Mythic. Other story is if you want to do that, as the start of an expansion is the best time to get gold from content you can do by yourself.

But yes we are really taking this far far off-topic. So you have your opinion and I have mine

---

Also on topic. Professions in WoD are going to differ from what you want to do, Tailoring gives you good starting gear for example, Enchanting helps to save money on enchants in the long run(unless you got a friendly enchanter in guild). Also Inscription is very very good to get money if you have a lot herbs.

Other than those, you might want to consider gathering profs if bots and farmers don't get out of hand. For me the primary motivator for everything is gear on my Mage though, so would pick those that get me the best gear possible. Then again my army of crafters are never too far behind.. That reminds me, got to level my inscriptioners to higher level to get the next skill level

Deleted
    Since the upgrade items are not BoP, why must you have the appropriate professions on the toon you want the upgrades on?

Why can't I gather on my main and offload materials to my 90 alts who can create the non-BoP upgrade items for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    Since the upgrade items are not BoP, why must you have the appropriate professions on the toon you want the upgrades on?

Why can't I gather on my main and offload materials to my 90 alts who can create the non-BoP upgrade items for me?
    ... Who said you had to...?

Just to 100% confirm, Sumptuous fur is the new basic cloth, which, as Tailors, we will get double of as usual?

And thanks for that info Polar. Kind of got it all worked out now.

Deleted
    ... Who said you had to...?
    I'd heard it from quite a few people. My bad for assuming it was true.

This is slightly offtopic but I've been seeing that you can instantly get a fresh prof. to 600 in WoD? Is it a long process?

Just to 100% confirm, Sumptuous fur is the new basic cloth, which, as Tailors, we will get double of as usual?

And thanks for that info Polar. Kind of got it all worked out now.
    TBH I'm not all that sure if they get bonus (dunno if double) WoD cloth anymore because they've removed so many other profession non-combat perks, but it's definitely there for MoP and below at the very least. Really dunno, lol.

Glad to have been a help

This is slightly offtopic but I've been seeing that you can instantly get a fresh prof. to 600 in WoD? Is it a long process?
    You can instantly get the cap of 700 and a handful of WoD recipes, but you don't instantly get to skill level 600-700. Your daily gives around 5-15 points (depends on prof) though. It's MUCH easier to level in WoD and skill won't matter as much.

Deleted
    You can instantly get the cap of 700 and a handful of WoD recipes, but you don't instantly get to skill level 600-700. Your daily gives around 5-15 points (depends on prof) though. It's MUCH easier to level in WoD and skill won't matter as much.
    .. and how is this achieved?

.. and how is this achieved?
    Every profession (including secondary professions like Cooking) has a scroll that instantly gives you the recipes and unlocks your cap from 600 (or 75+) to 700. You can find them on mobs or profession vendors next to trainers. For example, here is the Alchemy one.

It was supposed to be from small plot garrisons (as well as a quest or the world in general), but I think they moved it to Ashran because locking your better recipes to the garrison was fucking retarded (this was also how you turned in secrets for the better recipes; same vendor). Dunno if moving it to Ashran is a beta-only thing or not, but it's a really smart idea. Having your profession as a small plot is already powerful enough for Work Orders alone.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-27 at 12:47 AM.

In LK-MoP, you wouldn't even be considered by a half-decent guild if you weren't 600/600 in TWO relevant professions (e.g., me applying to a guild as a Miner/Herbalist would get me laughed at)
    Actually I was pretty shocked when I saw during TOT / SOO the best combo for some dps classes was go Troll + Engi + Herbalism, maybe swap Tailor instead of Engi, but Herbalism became a thing.

And mining was a thing for tanks during Wotlk when stamina was the way to go.

But I don't mind seeing perks going away, especially after the balance rollercoaster that was kinda forcing min-maxers to constantly reroll, things like Jc perk going from OP to UP or herbalism becoming a thing. I could never bring myself to drop a crafting profession I got tons of recipes learnt, yet I felt bad for having "sub optimal" prof. In WOD, that no longer will be the case.

But I wanted to ask, people who know more about WOD, how do you see JC in the aspect of moneymaking? Gem sockets will be more rare and it seems assembling a "rare" level gem is very mats consuming, that troubles me a bit, together with the cap of crafted items that will work against any neck / ring items, do you see JC being profitable in WOD and how?

I'm curious, I'm not gonna drop my JC even if it's utter balls, at worst I'm just gonna resort to make money through alts' professions. But any insights form beta?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    But I wanted to ask, people who know more about WOD, how do you see JC in the aspect of moneymaking? Gem sockets will be more rare and it seems assembling a "rare" level gem is very mats consuming, that troubles me a bit, together with the cap of crafted items that will work against any neck / ring items, do you see JC being profitable in WOD and how?

I'm curious, I'm not gonna drop my JC even if it's utter balls, at worst I'm just gonna resort to make money through alts' professions. But any insights form beta?
    JC will be very profitable through the better gems, as they aren't available through the Garrison and are very mat-consuming (of BoP mats), so they'll be worth quite a bit. I probably won't even use the better gems because it's only +15 and sockets are so rare anyways that it's not as big a deal as it is today (where if you pull that shit on live, you'd lose like 10-15x as much stats)

There also isn't a thousand cuts and there's only one gem, which is now prismatic, but each stat got a color just to make it easier to differentiate between them:

Red: Stamina
    Orange: Multistrike
    Yellow: Crit
    Green: Versatility
    Blue: Haste
    Purple: Mastery

Oh and Metas are gone completely; curious if this will also remove the Legendary Meta/sockets from our current helmets.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2014-09-27 at 01:14 AM.